fuel scoffing us pick ups

Pollux

40% of the us fuel is used by private cars.
i heared bush cancelled law that the industy forbid to build cars that need more than 17litres for 100kilomenters.
why do us cars need so much fuel?
here in europe the average need is 7,8 litres.
and the big trucks here need not more than 13-14 litres
and almost noone drives them because its too expensive.
Im asking because i read just an article about the increasing oil prices.
so what do you think?

Well I drive a BIG truck that gets 7.5 miles per gallon of gas, but I need it, I haul livestock and other heavy trailers over mountains (I live at 5200 ft) with it and often have to go off-road (not so much of an issue for you Europeans from what I've seen) to get jobs such as woodcutting and irrigation done as well as for recreation. I also used to use it to haul equipment and material when I worked for a building contractor, and often these cargoes overflowed my 8 foot truck bed, so it would have been interesting to see one of your European vehicles handle them, let alone being able to haul two full yards of base rock or gravel. We also frequently drive huge distances (200+ miles) and therefore a larger and resultantly more comfortable vehicle is a great asset.
Such size and power may not be necessary for you, but for many Americans, it is in fact a necessity.

Lets put it this way BMW X-5 has about 4000cc(tell me if i'm wrong)
and Ford excursion nearly 10000cc ,now thats a truck engine. :lol:

of course if you you need such a engine why not.
but i think that many citizens drive them because theyre cool.
by the way if i need a 10000cc i buy a truck, not a pick up.
and when i look at the us industry they construct bigger and stronger vehicles, because everybody wants them.
Is everybody moving to the middle west to become a farmer?

Pollux said:
of course if you you need such a engine why not.
but i think that many citizens drive them because theyre cool.
by the way if i need a 10000cc i buy a truck, not a pick up.
and when i look at the us industry they construct bigger and stronger vehicles, because everybody wants them.
Is everybody moving to the middle west to become a farmer?

I don't live in the midwest and I'm not a farmer, a lot of different people from different walks of life need trucks.

By the way, what is the difference between a truck and a pickup to you, Sir? Here they are one and the same.

i know a truck and a pickup have the same meaning to me. I would love to have a Chevy Duramaz or Dodge's Turbo Cummings man them things are beautiful...

I drive a '02 Ford F250, is that a pick up or a trcuk? Either way you look at it I use my truck for everything from haulin livestock for my uncle, pullin my camper, to gettin kids from school. I get the same mileage with my deisel as my wife does with her '04 town and country.

Not here you don't. Unless you mean a semi-truck (those giant cabs pulling giant containers behind them). Dang language barrier.

I heard that in Germany it is much harder to obtain a driver's license. In America it is very very easy. There are 16 years olds with licenses. Is that right about Germany?

Has anyone heard anything new about the hydrogen cars? I remember in the last State of the Union Address Bush emphasised a transition to hydrogen as a fuel.

down here, a truck is a huge thng, generally with at least 6 wheels
a pickup is what you do when u see a good looking female!!! :lol:

we can get our learners liscence at 16, which requires a fully liscenced drive to be in control (ie not drunk, drugged) and in the car. we can get our probationary liscence at 18, and you can drive by yourself. you can get your full liscence after having had your probationary liscence for 3 years.

1.5 years down, 1.5 to go till my full liscence!! w0000t :lol:

yeah in germany you have to be 18 and you have to pass a theotetical and a pratical test.
does anyone of you know the unimog?

Well here in the great driving/polluting state of California, most ppl drive and a good precentage of us drive the biggest gas guzzlers of all SUVs. Another thing most gas stations are never empty and they over charge for gasoline nearly $3 per gallon.

What is a unimog

i know what it stands for but wat is it?

Darkmb101 said:
Another thing most gas stations are never empty and they over charge for gasoline nearly $3 per gallon.

First, where the heck are you getting your gas?
Second, you ever seen the prices in Europe? They're paying around $6 or $7 dollars per gallon, we got it easy compared to them. Of course one of my friends just got back from Venezuala and told me it cost about $.26 per gallon down there, almost makes it worth while to rent an oil tanker, huh? :lol:

i personally hate square looking vehicles. They look like big metal boxes on wheels. But thats not the point.

Back