Fuel Air Bomb in WW2?

--

January 16th, 2006  
Mohmar Deathstrike

Topic: Fuel Air Bomb in WW2?

Some fuel air bombs are as destructive as small nukes. To me, their techology appears to be far simpler than that required to develop nuclear weapons.

Is the reason they weren't used in WW2 that nobody had planes big enough to carry one?
January 16th, 2006  
Insight

That is an interesting question. I'm sure that depends on when the technology was actually developed.
January 16th, 2006  
Mohmar Deathstrike

Can't have been that recent. Think about it: Nukes are based on a principle that was only discovered in the 1920s. Fuel air bombs are based on the principle that...fuel...burns...in air.
--
January 16th, 2006  
The Cooler King

Are you talking about fire bombing?
January 16th, 2006  
Mohmar Deathstrike

No, no. Fuel air bombs that disperse some fuel during their fall and then ignite the whole thing.
January 16th, 2006  
redcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohmar Deathstrike
Some fuel air bombs are as destructive as small nukes. To me, their techology appears to be far simpler than that required to develop nuclear weapons.
Fuel-air explosives were first developed, and used in Vietnam by the United States

Quote:
Is the reason they weren't used in WW2 that nobody had planes big enough to carry one?
The British WW2 bomber the Avro Lancaster could carry a 22,000lb bomb called a 'Grand Slam'.
January 16th, 2006  
Mohmar Deathstrike

Thanks for the info. So they would have been technologically possible in WW2, but nobody had given them any thought yet, or if they had, deemed it ineffective?
January 17th, 2006  
Missileer

During the island hopping during WWII, the US forces found that a lot of Japanese were asphyxiated by flame throwers in bunkers. The conclusion was that a large flame depleted the oxygen long enough to kill anyone in a small space.
January 17th, 2006  
LeEnfield

I think the basic reason that no one had used this weapon in WW2 was becuase they had not thought of it.
February 3rd, 2006  
Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield
I think the basic reason that no one had used this weapon in WW2 was becuase they had not thought of it.
Right in one. Although in their defense, the timing of an FAE is tricky. If the squib goes off too fast, the fuel-air mixture will be too rich and it will not burn well. If it goes off too late, the explosion will be small... if there is one. The technology to time such a bomb did exist at the end of the war, (the atomic bombs had them) but not at the beginning.

Dean.