Ft. Hood

George

The Jan. '10 Issue of Proceedings Mag. points out that the shooter was facilitated by the anti gun attitude of the military, or officers worried about careers being hurt by accidental discharges, ect. Notes also the plot to kill troops @ Ft. Dix, the fragging in Kuwait by a muslim Sgt, & the shootings of 2 soldiers in a Little Rock recruiting office. Brought up the Israeli policy of troops that are off duty having a weopan & loaded mag available for quick use, probably would have had a real deterent effect, or resulted in a lot fewer casulties. Seem to recall, probably in the Clinton Admin days, the Ft. Hood commander trying to ban guns for anyone stationed there. Time to be better prepared.

Read the Proceedings article and the message is there but it is a bit misleading.

Access to weapons and arms rooms have been restricted for well over100 years. The only armed people have been MP's and Sentries...so it's not something that all the sudden happened.

As far as having open access to arms...well I have troops I really would not rather have armed outside a hot zone. Being a solider or Marine does not automatically make one responsible. Were this to happen I'd say restrict it to Sgt and above.

I was going to say something to that effect, but I wasn't sure I could find the article online, and didn't want to be ill-informed.

Read the Proceedings article and the message is there but it is a bit misleading.

Access to weapons and arms rooms have been restricted for well over100 years. The only armed people have been MP's and Sentries...so it's not something that all the sudden happened.

As far as having open access to arms...well I have troops I really would not rather have armed outside a hot zone. Being a solider or Marine does not automatically make one responsible. Were this to happen I'd say restrict it to Sgt and above.

+1. Sounds like sage advice.

SSgt and above used to carry around loaded weapons in the RoK Marines. The practice died some years back, not sure when.
Seemed like a sensible thing to me.

I agree with 03USMC. There's too many Joe Retards running around out there. Just because one is in the military doesn't mean one has common sense, proper weapons training or responsibility. I feel the same way about a lot of cops too, but they get to carry anyway. :D

+1 on the cops PJ. I know several that are barely functional at weapons handling and one in particular who very much needs his tricked out gear queer 870 inserted forcefully in a very tender area. But thats another story.

I don't think anyone was saying that keeping weapons lock up is new, & it has been a 100 years since the threat of hostile Indians showing up unexpectedly went away. We have had the Ft. Hood massacre, the planned massacre @ Ft. Dix & there was a thread on this Forum about a plot involving a possible attack on an Australian Army base. Seems like it's time to reevaluate.

+1 on the cops PJ. I know several that are barely functional at weapons handling and one in particular who very much needs his tricked out gear queer 870 inserted forcefully in a very tender area. But thats another story.

Nowadays even mall cops think they're SWAT because they got some "special training" at a Blackwater ranch.

I don't think anyone was saying that keeping weapons lock up is new, & it has been a 100 years since the threat of hostile Indians showing up unexpectedly went away. We have had the Ft. Hood massacre, the planned massacre @ Ft. Dix & there was a thread on this Forum about a plot involving a possible attack on an Australian Army base. Seems like it's time to reevaluate.

Two of the above incidents were stopped because of proper intel and proper action on that intel. Ft Hood occured because intel was ignored and not acted upon.

Arming everyone on a base at all times is asking for trouble as PJ put it too many Joe Retard's. You can re-evaluate all you want, but everyone being armed is a no go.

+2 and can somebody please link me to Proceedings online? all I have these days is Mech, and All Hands.

Back