FREQUENTLY REQUESTED HURRICANE FACTS

Missileer

THE DEADLIEST, COSTLIEST, AND MOST INTENSE
UNITED STATES HURRICANES FROM 1900 TO 2000

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/Landsea/deadly/index.html

For those interested in hurricane trends during 10 year increments since 1900, this is a good source. Looks like the most hurricanes occurred during the early 1900's but the more people moving around the coastlines, the worse human tragedies.

What was suprising to me was that although hurricane Diane was only a category 1, it was listed way up there on all of the charts. I remember that one!

It has more to do with where they hit. How many people etc... A 5 hitting the tip of Florida doesn't do a lot but a 1 hitting Mobile can tear up a lot of real estate.

Just to carry over another discussion into this thread, if you don't mind, the whole notion of global warming resulting in horrible hurricaines doesn't work for me.

I mean, we all know that Galveston Island wasn't wipped off the map in the early 1900s but a hurricaine. Hurricaines have always been warm and cuddly until Katrina.

Also, there have been higher than normal hurricaines in the Gulf region in recent years. But if you count the number of hurricaines around the world they have stayed relatively stable over the years, all that's changed is where they are forming. This seems to be more a result of natural cyclical patterns in the earth's cycle because it's just a change of location not numbers.

The Earth cannot be changed or harmed by mankind. One big volcanic eruption can produce more ozone destroying gases than mankind has since he has been on the planet. She can also heal herself without us.

Right now, the Northwestern United States are getting warmer while the frost line moves further to the Southeast. The States above Florida once were producing fruit crops which have dwindled because of the cooling. In time, not ours, the cycle will reverse and start all over again.

We're just along for the ride. We are giving ourselves too much credit for our puny power to affect the changing Universe.

Back