French MBT Leclerc 2015

Piranha

Can anybody describe the sensors on top of the Leclers turret?
Leclerc_2015_army_recognition_IDEX_2005_01.jpg

Not sure but looking at it I think it was a mistake to award the design contract to Lego.

Last edited:
That is the proposed 2015 version of the Leclerc MBT. There is current one prototype.

Changes include:

4x FRAG grenade launchers, on at each corner of the tank. Its an active point-defense sytstem designed to destroy incoming ATGMs and low velocity shells (think of it like the Phalanx system aboard ships)

Improved Turret armor to protect against top attacks (like current 'pop-up' AT missiles such as the U.S Javelin).

The Commanders sight has been enlarged to contain the sensors for the Active Defense system.

A UAV Launcher system for Recon and light attack

An IFF system located above the main gun.

i've always liked the leclerc, this one certain seems like they are taking notes notes about the failings of modern MBT's in urban environements

i've always liked the leclerc, this one certain seems like they are taking notes notes about the failings of modern MBT's in urban environements

They already done so. The AZUR update kit is specifically designed for Urban warfare.

Interesting..

As you might now the UAE got around 400 Leclercs (which suits us fine, thank you very much..) and basically the amount of training for urban warfare is nill despite having a fair number of cities like Abu Dhabi City, Dubai/Sharjah and Al-Ain because desert warfare is still very much on the agenda.

But with the GCC taking a more active security role it can´t be ruled out that more urban training/weapon systems will be needed.
The UAE cities are also growing fast and given that we are in a somewhat volatile area of the world, and looks across the Hormuz straits to Iran nothing can be taken for granted.

While it seems like good idea's, I just can't help feeling it's a pipe dream. You can only pile so much crap on to something before it becomes a hindrance to itself.

We'll see.
I think a Phalanx system for tanks like that with the grenade launchers will become standard in the near future.

Back