French lingerie, wine boycotts, and freedom braids?

Concerning the war on terrorism, I think the French government is

• a stark ally committed to winning the war on terrorism.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • a moderate ally somewhat committed to winning the war on terrorism.

• supporting agendas that socially, politically, and economically benefit only the French.

• a moderate foe passively undermining cohesive alliances in the war on terrorism.

• a stark foe actively undermining cohesive alliances in the war on terrorism.

• Total voters

David Hurlbert

Last year many people in general and Americans in particular watched with disgust as French President Jacques Chirac sought to rally an international coalition to oppose the U.S. led war in Iraq. At the same time, a French public opinion poll showed that one quarter of the French population actually supported Saddam Hussein at the start of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Since then, new stories have emerged almost daily of how the government of French President Chirac has sought to undermine the coalition’s efforts toward democracy in Iraqi and the U.S. war on terror publicly sniping at America and her allies while inciting other countries to do the same. American citizens have struck back with boycotts and strong anti-French sentiment. Did France betray her American ally? This forum is soliciting some opinions around France as either a friend or foe in the war on terror?

A self interest government that indoctrinates it's people with far left views of the world. That being said, this is probobly going to be closed, I think we have a o French Bashing rule around here. ;)

David, look at my name. I'm as conservative and jingoistic about America as they come (And proud of it ;) ) I didn't vote because I'm rather busy here in real life. If it were up to me, Id let you say what you want, but (sombody correct me if I'm wrong) we have a no-French bashing policy on account of the many Europeans here. I'm with you not against you. I hate the French government, not just for being selfish in their undercover oil deals, but because of their banning of religouse symbols, and their role in the Rwanda genocides.

There is no reason for this thread to be closed, GuyontheRight. As it stands now, it seems to me to be a very valid topic. If it does however turn into a namecalling or irresponsible/immature thread it will be closed, just like any other thread here.

In answer to your question, David, I believe that the French government is unquestionably by, of, and for the French, and particularly the French government. I would not go so far as to call them our enemy, but they are certainly not our ally in this.

Redneck, thanks for your comments.......and when you find the time read this French point of view. For me this essay is justification after justification with a theme of fear over losing American dollars:

http://home.earthlink.net/~descubes/damn-french.html

However, I do know a lot of Americans who are not buying anything French (even the French products that are made here in the USA like Glaceau smartwater). Many people worldwide, including many Iraqis are also saying NO THANKS to French products! This author appears not very well informed. Perhaps this author should start with reading an excellent book called The French Betrayal of America.

From the essay...

Why are there always bad feelings between the French and the Americans? Don't tell me it started with the Iraqi war. A silly illustration of background anti-French sentiment in the US is a video tape for kids, called "VeggiTales - Josh and the Big Wall", published by Big Idea Productions. This is a well-thinking tape for kids, talking about the Bible story of Josh horns. My kids love it, in particular a scene where the Israeli, represented by little vegetables, start walking around the big walls and the enemy drops cans of slimy soda on their heads. What they find really funny is that the people on the wall are silly green peas who talk with, guess what, a french accent. And then, in case you did not get it, they call each other Philippe and Jean-Claude, which everybody knows were widely used first names in the middle east at the time of Josh.

First off, this guy knows absolutely nothing about VeggiTales. If he did, he'd know that those peas are in every story Big Idea does, and that using them as the Judeans was just filling up characters. Those little peas are hilarious, and they've done good guy roles too, yes still with their French accents. This ain't being anti-French, for God sakes the Tomatoes name is Bob!

I do not think we are bashing the french. The fact remains that they go around with there anti US ideals until the time comes that they need us..then they are the US's best friend.

I say those that have begun to boycott French product are doing the right thing and i for one support them.

I agree that The french just make decisions that affect them and are for there benefit, but then so does every country in the world - USA and Kyoto treaty - frence just did it in a very public way, the french like all europeans have to worry about terrorists and in some ways france is even more vulnerable then other countries as they have a high arab population so terrorists can hide better. I dont agree with the french government trying to destabilise the forming of democracy in iraq and i believe that they went a bit far in trying to stop the war, but they are with us in afganistan, kosovo, macedonia (yes i know the french have been accused of supporting the serbians). There doing there bit, if there opposed to the war in iraq ok, so was the UN.

If you really think about it, the citizens of France think rather highly of us. It's only the government that's full of shmucks.

You obviously havn't been to France in the last 2 years, it aint fun when people are accusing you of stealing just because you got an American flag on your shirt. :x

Coming in!

Guys, please....you find a French bashing America on the Internet and it becomes truth....Remember....everything we find out there is not automatically true! :lol:
Sure, in France, we do have American bashers all the way from our BEAUF (our white trash) to our politicians...media are also bending toward US bashing too, because it sells.
Now tell me the same doesn't apply here with the French bashers/boycotters (by the way in his book, O'Reilley said boycotting is anti-american....what's up with that???? :lol: ) and the anti-french propaganda...
First of, despite all this primitive c--p, the French are still siding with the US on issue they agree upon:
Afghanistan is one of the many and we just finished a joint training at Camp Lejeune (FL) involving 1000 French Marine + their equipment criss crossing the East Coast and practising landings....
For more info on which camp we are siding, take a look at the figures:
http://www.ambafrance-au.org/defence/pages/armed_forces_numbers.en.htm

Thank you.

As far as Iraq goes, some of you guys have a pretty amazing short term memory ....since the beginning, France did not buy the official reasons to go to war and it looks like they were right about it...come on! sure "the world is safer without Saddam" but it is not what the US wanted to create a coalition upon....and by the way, I am not the one saying that faulty intel was the reason for war....isn't it an American confession....even your left and right main newspaper are apologizing (by the way, what is this American thing and being "sorry"? say you are sorry, he did not, not enough, he did but does not mean it???? :p )....Historically, France has never been a US yaysayer, like the Brits who have no choice (no offense for the Brits!). That is what DeGaulle intended when he pushed a nuclear autonomy, jumped out of NATO integrated military command and kicked the US out in 66...Sorry, no hard feeling...we are latin and independent...
I detailed all this NATO stuff and cold war French position in another post and won't go on....

As far as mentions to oil deals....yadayadayada....O'Reilley was investigating and going to expose Chirac! still waiting while US corps are ripping off the US gov and over billing it millions at a time!

As far as Saddam's buddies, it is like Bin Laden....a close US ally when the US needed him to do the dirty job against Iran...hey, be happy guys, France sided you on this one....

I read about Rwanda too (god, this post goes everywhere....). Sure, France, as a privileged protector of the government that ended up being genocidal had some responsibilities but France was the only one that committed forces right away to try to stop it while the UN farted around and while Clinton's America looked the other side...remember Clinton traveling there with old sweet Madeleine to apology for sitting and watching while UN forces tried to help along with the French....
How many US supported Gov or puppets went amok and did crazy things? Shall we count, in Central America for example?

France banned religious symbols...yes! but the missing words are VISIBLE and PUBLIC! That is to say France banned VISIBLE religious symbols in PUBLIC schools!!! Just a hint....take your Hispanic "minority" and just imagine for a second that it is a MUSLIM "minority"...than you'd be in France shoes!!!

As far as the boycott goes, go ahead: none of you can enjoy a real Roquefort, good Bordeau or piece of Lingerie...but beware...Mack is Renault...Universal is Vivendi...and please don't get mad at the Germans too...Mercedes owns Chrysler and without the BMWs, AUDIs and VWs you'd be stuck with Ford or Japanese cars (Nissan is Renault too! :lol: Ho, and Kerry is almost French!)

Funny!

So let us calm down please and see if we can meet halfway.

Come on guys...I am here to help you

Shadowalker said:
but they are with us in afganistan, kosovo, macedonia (yes i know the french have been accused of supporting the serbians). There doing there bit, if there opposed to the war in iraq ok, so was the UN.

This is quite true. The French are the third largest contributor (US and UK are first and second) in the Global War On Terror.

As for the UN, the US made the tactical error in approaching them, I blame no one but the US for that mistake and its outcome.

Were American, were independent too ;)

I've been to your country Eric, and Ill say that I met nice people, and I met people who hated me just because I was an American. I don't hate French people, but I hate what I'm hearing about France. I don't care for O'Rielly or any of these guys in the media, I make my own decisions. Dont assume we American conservatives are blindly following example. Do you think I am not mad at the USA too, for not helping in Rwanda? I have to say though, the banning of headscarves, crosses, etc really bothers me. That is not democracy, that is religouse intolerance.

Its the media thats taken the bashing out of proportion, if you read everythin you'd probably end up believing that it was america vs france not the coalition vs iraq.

Hey, guyontheright, if you take a look at my website you'll see where I stand.
Like everywhere, we have good people and morons. I met my share of people who "hated" me here...I don't care....I can understand where they sit with what they believe. I just happen to be from the other side and I served 18 years in the French Military from the Berlin WAll and East Berlin Patrols to the borders of Libya and Laos...
Some mis-perceptions hurt and need to be addressed. The same kind of "hurt" you felt in France when people (maybe not the smartest) showed anger/hatred toward you.

In New York City you'll find Americans that hate other Americans simply because they talk with a drawl. In Los Angeles, you'll find Americans that hate other Americans simply because they smoke. Prejudice is everywhere, not just France. It is hardly indicative of an entire country's view.

Most people tend to base their opinions of the French people from their experiences in the more touristy parts of France, Paris, in particular. From my experiences, and I'm an old lad that's traveled a lot, large cities and popular holiday spots tend to be a haven for indifferent, impatient and seemingly rude people - especially when it comes to tourists. My experiences in France, working with the French and French counterparts have almost always been positive.

In other words, don't judge the many by the few.

Back