French Général BIGEARD is dead

He was a terrorist who terrorized the Algerian people and never apologized for his war crimes in Algeria during the Algerian fight for independence. He never showed remorse to his victims, he once said that it was a necessary evil when he spoke of his Crimea and the rampant torture that he authorized. May he wrought in hell, the Algerian people and nation haven't forgotten his crimes.

He was a terrorist who terrorized the Algerian people and never apologized for his war crimes in Algeria during the Algerian fight for independence. He never showed remorse to his victims, he once said that it was a necessary evil when he spoke of his Crimea and the rampant torture that he authorized. May he wrought in hell, the Algerian people and nation haven't forgotten his crimes.

Well ain't you precious. Tell me again why there aren't any waste barrels on the streets of Paris again oh defender of Noble Warriors?

Well ain't you precious. Tell me again why there aren't any waste barrels on the streets of Paris again oh defender of Noble Warriors?

Minor correction: The waste barrels were put back years ago.

I am going to be careful because my in-laws are all pied-noirs (French colonists who lived in Algeria before its independence) and fought in Algeria, but suffice it to say there were atrocities ON BOTH SIDES.. I just finished a book about the North African front in WWII, and the author reports that many American GIs were simply shocked of how badly the French treated the Algerians. This when Jim Crow was in full force back at home in the South.

Another example, do we all remember George Allen's career implosion when he referred to a Indian opponent as "macaca". George Allens mother was also a "pied-noir", and a "macaca" means "monkey". It was what the pied-noirs called the locals, think of it like calling a black person a "ni**er".

Last edited:
Folks need to do research before commenting on the French-Algerian subject.

It is very complicated and full of mutual brutality.
Also lots of mutual entanglements at social and personal levels from lengthy association.
Fascinating subject, especially the revolt of the Paras who mistakenly thought the army would rise with them.
Problem was the army at the time was mostly conscripts who wanted no part of the politics.
The leaders went to prison and the units were scattered.
The Legeon left Sidi-Bel-Abbis, their traditional home.
Any ways, like him or not, the general was a respected leader of men.

Back