French Foreign Legion

Peturstanislav

Hello my name is Pétur I am from Iceland. I am 18 turning 19 this year, and i have been reading and gathering informations and watching everything possible about the legion since i was 14. This is my dream, and i have been dreaming about the military since i was VERY little.. so my question is I have a girlfriend and i really care about her, but if i would join the legion would i get to see her anytime in those 5 years ? :s thanks a lot guys:) If I would get in of course.. I am new here if i am doing something wrong

Difficult to answer.
Generally I will say that most relationships won´t last.
It´s the experience most guys in the FFL has made.

What is it about the Legion that attracts you?

Aah well that sucks.. but i will have to search further for answer for this question, need to know it:) Well there is a lot of things, first of all the dicepline, elite fighting force, deployments, its just everything, I would really like to get deployed somewhere and the adventure i mean its my dream job:) and of course no citizenship requiered, i would like to join the U.S army, (Rangers or the Seals) But then i have to finish school and try to get a job in the U.S to get the green card, and the UK its 5 years until citizenship... well i was born in Poland so i could join the polish army if i could speak a little bit better Polish.. and of course the Danish army but i have to know danish and its not a army that i would like to join, but its a backup:)

The Danish army is not bad and they have some of the best SF today. And if you need to learn French or Danish, so what.

My own attitude to FFL is somewhat negative. There is too much romance associated with them which does not hold in the real world. They are overrated in my eyes.

The Danish army is not bad and they have some of the best SF today. And if you need to learn French or Danish, so what.

My own attitude to FFL is somewhat negative. There is too much romance associated with them which does not hold in the real world. They are overrated in my eyes.

I read an account of an ex Royal Marine who had joined the FFL, he wrote during the first Gulf War that he wasn't impressed at all on how they operated.

Well I have also heard very different stories but most of the time i hear how hard and tough it is there, and how good the 2Rep is and all kinds of stuff:) Well Primus I think that the legion is tougher then the Danish army, altho the Danish SF are good and all that.. but the legion deploys so much and i have a condition that will or might stop me from joining any army in the world except the Legion maybe and I know I would get into the U.S army with my condition.. I got Hepatitis B when i was 0-3 years old and was discoverd when we moved to Iceland from Poland but it has no effect on me what so ever, and that really really sucks, it can stop me from joining the one thing i wanna do, serve with honor

After a quick phone call to a colleague in France, I have an answer for you.
Because Hepatitis B is classified as a chronic illness, you will not be eligible for service in the FFL.

And believe me, this guy knows.

Well Primus i know a guy that joined the legion in the 70' i think and he had hep and now he is highly ranked in the legion, and I have heard that guys get in if they really show that they wanna be legioners.. That is what I have heard... but then I will have to follow my plan, finish collage and move the the U.S and join the army there. Only army i know of that allows people with Hep b to join if they pass medical waiver which is basicly to see if it is effecting my health, if not then i will get a green light and get in 'cause all military personnel get vaccine when they join have i heard :) It is so bad that only the U.S army is doing that, or i think so.. if you can get immune by one shot why not do that and open a wider circle..

Well Primus i know a guy that joined the legion in the 70' i think and he had hep and now he is highly ranked in the legion, and I have heard that guys get in if they really show that they wanna be legioners.. That is what I have heard... but then I will have to follow my plan, finish collage and move the the U.S and join the army there. Only army i know of that allows people with Hep b to join if they pass medical waiver which is basicly to see if it is effecting my health, if not then i will get a green light and get in 'cause all military personnel get vaccine when they join have i heard :) It is so bad that only the U.S army is doing that, or i think so.. if you can get immune by one shot why not do that and open a wider circle..

I am sorry to tell you this; when you have the chronic Hepatitis B, if I understand correctly, you have had this since childhood. The vaccination does not work if you already have it, it may change in the future. When it comes to the majority of the virulent diseases, the vaccine does not work if you have it. They can prevent diseases for the person exposed to the virus, who does not have the disease. Therefore, all the military services will reject you. I am sorry, my friend, you need to find another career

Being a carrier of hepatitis B or hepatitis C excludes service in the British forces. I´m almost sure that this also applies to U.S. forces. But perhaps a Yank can clarify this question.

If you have any chronic disease such as Hep B, C, HIV, etc you are disqualified from entrance into the US military.

Well I3BrigPvSk I have been talking to recuriters in the U.S and they said that people with chronic Hepatits B can join, because like I said before, they soldiers in the U.S get vaccine for Hep B... also he said that they are going to accept more people who have it for the coming years:) I know i cant get vaccine nowadays to get rid of this but i hope it will come someday. So I will stick with the U.S army there you will go to a Medical Waiver which is higher set doctor you can ask for it when you enlist and he will check you and if he sees that its not effecting your health in anyway, as in pain and stuff like that he will give you the "Green Light" aka "Go Sign"

Well I3BrigPvSk I have been talking to recuriters in the U.S and they said that people with chronic Hepatits B can join, because like I said before, they soldiers in the U.S get vaccine for Hep B... also he said that they are going to accept more people who have it for the coming years:) I know i cant get vaccine nowadays to get rid of this but i hope it will come someday. So I will stick with the U.S army there you will go to a Medical Waiver which is higher set doctor you can ask for it when you enlist and he will check you and if he sees that its not effecting your health in anyway, as in pain and stuff like that he will give you the "Green Light" aka "Go Sign"

I truly hope it is as you said, even if I doubt it. The HB will influence your ability to serve where you will be exposed to other diseases. I have mostly worked with the corona viruses and with hemorrhagic fevers and how to respond to outbreaks. Your liver will be exposed to other pathogens, regardless if they are not lethal for others, they will influence your ability to work.

You don't understand "when you have hepatitis B the vaccine will not work"?

Back