French Foreign Legion

brandonakal

Hey guys,

If any of you are currently in the Legion or are past Legionnares, pls msg me as Im looking to join next year and Id like to get as much info as possible. Im currently a South African citizen with no previous military history, but the FFL has always interested me and now I finally have a chance to join.

Many thanks:bravo:

If you need a good reference book try: Life in the French Foreign Legion by Evan McGorman. If you have any questions his email and other contact are in the book and he does reply to them!

They also have a website which i noticed has some basic information on it. Hope that helps a little as well :smil:.

There is ALOT of info floating around open sources about FFL.
Do some homework..

One tip, the info you recieve from a veteran will 9/10 be better then reading something a journalist has written..
Good luck with your first step on the path of becoming a contributing member to the FFL.

Hey guys,

If any of you are currently in the Legion or are past Legionnares, pls msg me as Im looking to join next year and Id like to get as much info as possible. Im currently a South African citizen with no previous military history, but the FFL has always interested me and now I finally have a chance to join.

Sorry, to my knowledge there are no FFL members here, (I wish there were, as we get a ton of FFL questions), nor have I served in it.

However, I have family (in-laws) in the French Army. I can answer some questions here and refer the questions I don't know back to him if you give me a few days.

Best I can do for you.

There is ALOT of info floating around open sources about FFL.
Do some homework..

One tip, the info you recieve from a veteran will 9/10 be better then reading something a journalist has written..
Good luck with your first step on the path of becoming a contributing member to the FFL.

Life in the French Foreign Legion is written by an ex-Legionnaire.

Also there is a French Foreign Legion forum where many former members are regulars.
http://www.cervens.net/legionbbs123/

I have looked into joining the french foreign legion to, but its hard, and only a small percentage of the guys that go in actually graduate. + its not like a normal army, less freedom, little contact with family members etc. But if you really are motivated go for it! :)

Hey guys,

Maybe I can help you

Nice to have someone with firsthand knowledge onboard.
What REP?
Amphib or ABN?

Also looking into signing up... Well actually I have already made up my mind that I'm going to do it. Just need to get stuff sold here, improve on my fitness and learn as much French as possible :)

SeanG where are you stationed? And whats your best advice for wanabe's like us?

Also looking into signing up... Well actually I have already made up my mind that I'm going to do it. Just need to get stuff sold here, improve on my fitness and learn as much French as possible :)

SeanG where are you stationed? And whats your best advice for wanabe's like us?
I have left La Legion.
Get your fitness to a good standard,one test is the rope, pulling yourself up a rope using either just hands or hands and leg(you must pass this) start jogging regular, increasing your distance over a period of time.
The language is the part which most people dread but it is not a problem at first because you will be inerviewed by someone that speaks your language,but learning French before joining will pay dividends.Take a small phrase book with you it will help.
I will start a new thread with info for all those wishing to join and add to it when necessary.

Last edited:
L'Engagement (Joining the Legion Etrangere)

Joining the Legion Etrangere is quite simple all that is required is for you to present yourself in front of the gates of La Legion Etrangere and inform the guard that you wish to enlist.The Legionnaire guard will know why you are there, especially if you have a kit bag with you.Say something like this:- " Je suis Anglais (or what ever country you are from) Je suis venus pour joindre La Legion Etrangere". Paris has a recruiting centre,all (most) are situated in the south. They are approx 17 centres.
Age limit is officially 18 - 40. If you are on the run from the law the Legion "will" find out and you will be handed back. As stated above get your fitness up to a good standard etc.

Centre de Selection et Incorporation -(CIS) Aubagne.

Aubagne is approx 1 hour by train north of Marseille.It is here that you will begin and end your service with La Legion Etrangere.It is also the home of the 1er REI and the Legion band.
This place is where the Legion must now decide whether or not to take you into the fold, also it is here they will find out about your past.You will be tested mentally, physically and psychologically.You will be tested and watched very closely.Any misconduct (fighting or ill - discipline) you will find youself outside the Quartier (camp) gates.They will check you through Interpol and if you happen to be on their wanted list you will be handed over to the Gendarmes (police) they is no refuge from any major crime in the Legion.If you have rotten teeth/grossly overweight or bad infections you will be turned away.
Continued........

seanG, mate can u tell me; is it possible to get in with a 20 year old armed robbery record? only small **** since then, traffic offences and the like. Do u get a chance to state your case? or is it a matter of them deciding and giving you the boot without you having a say?

Back