French Foreign Legion

EagleHammer

I have two questions.

Wich was the latest conflict were the Legion actually fought.?

In War or a Conflict are the Legion one of the first they send out.?

I don't know what your French is like but Wikipedia has a nice article on La Legion Etrangere. The last big wars they fought in were in Algeria in 1961 (during the coup there) and Indochina until 1952. Their most recent conflict was the UN-sponsored Operation Licorne in Ivory Coast in 2003.

Famous for their strict discipline, their nature means they often get given the jobs nobody else wants to do, at overwhelming odds. It is, as they say, a dirty job but someone has to do it.

The Legion is regarded as more expendable than the rest of the military by the French government. That does not mean that they send them into enemy machine gun fire as they are all highly trained, determined and well equipped, which makes it unlikely for them to be actually "expended". Her's a nice documentary on it, if you understand French: http://video.google.de/videoplay?docid=7400045342230240450&q=french+foreign+legion

My favorite part is, in the jungle training, where the instructor takes a "wounded" guy on his back and says "Don't show a victim's face. The enemy who faces me sees I'm determined to save him (the wounded comrade, not the enemy)".
I don't get why the Legion still don't allow women to join.

Last edited:
"Current Deployments

These deployments are current as of November 2005
  • Operations exterieures (other than at home bases or on standard duties)
    • Martinique - (Protection) - 2e REG / 2e Compagnie, RCS;
    • Paris, France - VIGIPIRATE - 2e REI / 2 units, EM; 1er REG / 2 units;
    • Montpellier - VIGIPIRATE - 2e REI / 1 unit;
    • Perpignan - VIGIPIRATE - 2e REI / 1 unit;
    • Guyane - (Protection) - 3e REI / 3e Compagnie; 1er REG / RCS;
    • Côte D'Ivoire - (Intervention) - Operation LICORNE - 1er REC / 5e Squadron;
    • Mayotte - (Prevention) - DLEM;
    • Iles Glorieuses - (Prevention) - DLEM;
    • Djibouti - (Prevention) - 13e DBLE; 2e REI / CAC, RCS; 2e REG / 1er Compagnie, RCS;
    • Kosovo - (Intervention) - 2e REG / BATFRA.
    • Afghanistan - (Intervention) - 2e REG / URH; "
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Foreign_Legion

Back