French foreign legion

bigjim

Hey guys, I am thinking of joining the french foreign legion, but I am worried that my back might stop me. Can anyone tell me what the maximum degree is for scoliosis when it comes to joining the FFL I think I may have scoliosis because I show some symptoms of it, but if I do it is not bad at all, probably 5-7 degrees, I know in the US military you can join if it is under 20 degrees and I think it's the same with the british, and I heard anything under 10 degrees isn't really classed as scoliosis but more as bad posture. I am doing lots of symmetrical back exercises, swimming and stretching with some yoga, but does anyone know if this will stop me from joining? it might not even be noticed at the medical as the symptoms are very minor when I bend over the left side of my back sticks up about a few millimeters more than the right side of my back :-(

Sorry for the long post and thank you everyone. I am new to this forum by the way :)

Well the Legion takes great stock in their drill and marching... not sure if your back stands out at all but if it does it could set you up for a miserable experience of being singled out by angry Caporals.... just saying.....

Well the Legion takes great stock in their drill and marching... not sure if your back stands out at all but if it does it could set you up for a miserable experience of being singled out by angry Caporals.... just saying.....
Hey, cheers, I found the french military medical requirements and the maximum amount of curvature is 15 degrees, I'm pretty sure my backs not that bad, infact i'm not sure if my spine is even curved at all. I also spoke to a couple 2REP soldiers and they told me they think I will be fine, one of them even had something wrong with his lower back area, can't remember what I just remember something was a bit out of place by like a centimeter and he passed the medical after they questioned him about it a bit. thanks :)

And no my back doesn't show at all, i used to slouch my shoulders forward a little bit but not anymore.

Well all good then Bigjim. Of you go....
Nope, turns out the french foreign legion don't always use the same medical requirements for the standard french military. I met a guy who was rejected for have a 3 degree scoliosis which is extremely mild, and I just got told I had a scoliosis which is about 5-10 degrees maybe a tad more... still going to give the legion a shot.

Back