French Foreign Legion questions

alex.mtfbwy

Hello.

I'm about to try to apply to the FFL and I have a few questions regarding finances...maybe somebody out there can help? :)

1. How is the salary processed (cash, bank account, should I open an account in France, and if so, should I open it before I enter, to be prepared?)

2. I need to send at least half of my wage to my family, back home, monthly...is that possible? What is the best way to do it?

3. What about taxes...Will it be taxed in France?

I know these may seem idiot questions...but I prefer to be prepared!

Thanks

Hello.

I'm about to try to apply to the FFL and I have a few questions regarding finances...maybe somebody out there can help? :)

1. How is the salary processed (cash, bank account, should I open an account in France, and if so, should I open it before I enter, to be prepared?)

2. I need to send at least half of my wage to my family, back home, monthly...is that possible? What is the best way to do it?

3. What about taxes...Will it be taxed in France?

I know these may seem idiot questions...but I prefer to be prepared!

Thanks

I don't think you are allowed to have a bank account during the first years, which makes it tricky to transfer money to Portugal. If you get your money the old traditional way, you can transfer money through Western Union.

Are you considering the FFL for the money?

Are you considering the FFL for the money?[/QUOTE]

No, Money isn't my motive at all. It's a goal I've set for my self a while back, and the "bug" kept growing :)

However, I can only do it (If I pass the tests, of course) if I can keep providing for my family...I can prepare for the 4/5 months of the instruction, but after that it's imperative to be able to send Money home on a monthly basis...

Are you considering the FFL for the money?

No, Money isn't my motive at all. It's a goal I've set for my self a while back, and the "bug" kept growing :)

However, I can only do it (If I pass the tests, of course) if I can keep providing for my family...I can prepare for the 4/5 months of the instruction, but after that it's imperative to be able to send Money home on a monthly basis...[/QUOTE]

Ask the embassy about it, but be prepared, they might lie to you.

Have you been in the Portuguese military?

QUOTE]

Have you been in the Portuguese military?[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll do that.

No, I wasn't in the military. I was called for inspection when I was 18, and even got selected to try and enter special forces, but some people talked me out of it...in any case, I had other interests at the time. But in Portugal, you have a very small age window to enlist the military (24 years old!). So when I wanted to go, I was to old...

QUOTE]

Have you been in the Portuguese military?

Thanks, I'll do that.

No, I wasn't in the military. I was called for inspection when I was 18, and even got selected to try and enter special forces, but some people talked me out of it...in any case, I had other interests at the time. But in Portugal, you have a very small age window to enlist the military (24 years old!). So when I wanted to go, I was to old...[/QUOTE]

If the FFL is what you want to do so.....btw...Do you speak French? If not, learn it now and not while you are doing the basic training

[/QUOTE]

If the FFL is what you want to do so.....btw...Do you speak French? If not, learn it now and not while you are doing the basic training[/QUOTE]

Un petit peu, seulement ;) But I'm already working on it.

If the FFL is what you want to do so.....btw...Do you speak French? If not, learn it now and not while you are doing the basic training[/QUOTE]

Un petit peu, seulement ;) But I'm already working on it.[/QUOTE]

Good, can be nice to comprehend the orders, hehe. But as I said to another here about the FFL. be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Back