French Foreign Legion - Page 6

--

June 9th, 2012  
ExRAed

i want to join the legion but i have slightly poor hearing after serving in afghan 2008 will have slightly poor hearing stop me joining the legion?
June 10th, 2012  
senojekips

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExRAed
i want to join the legion but i have slightly poor hearing after serving in afghan 2008 will have slightly poor hearing stop me joining the legion?
Why ask us, we'd only be guessing?

Get it straight from the horses mouth, ask the Legion's recruiters. http://www.legion-recrute.com/en/contact.php?SM=0
June 10th, 2012  
ExRAed

I just thought someone on here might have some idea on here it was just a shot in the dark to be honest
--
June 10th, 2012  
42RM

Why join the FFL?
June 11th, 2012  
ExRAed

To 42RM always wanted to join my father was in the legion in the 70s and my brother is in the legion 2 rep (para regiment) he enlisted in 2007
June 11th, 2012  
42RM

So it's a sort of family tradition.

I just dont understand that you will wear a French uniform when we in the UK have so many opportunities to serve. What is it you think you can get in the legion that you cant get in the British army?
June 11th, 2012  
ExRAed

Ell I have served in army here in the uk I was 5 reg 255 battery S.T.A. I served 6 six happy years until I got the boot due to reforms and S.D.R.B. Also I have slightly poor hearing due to enemy action in helmond serving with 5 scots and now I out of the army might aswell try my hand at the legion learn a new language and have a fresh start in life
June 11th, 2012  
Der Alte

What is S.D.R.B ?

Quote:
Also I have slightly poor hearing due to enemy action in helmond serving with 5 scots
Did you not wonder why the locals walked around in clogs and handed out roses while they ate Edammer?
June 11th, 2012  
ExRAed

Stratigic defence review board and what exactly does clogs (which is dutch not french) and edammer have to do with the FFL?
June 12th, 2012  
42RM

Quote:
Stratigic defence review board and what exactly does clogs (which is dutch not french) and edammer have to do with the FFL?
It was probably an attempt at German humor.

Helmond is a municipality and a city in the province of North Brabant in the southern Netherlands. Helmand is a Province in Afghanistan. Therefore the allusion to clogs, flowers and cheese - I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Alte
What is S.D.R.B ?

Did you not wonder why the locals walked around in clogs and handed out roses while they ate Edammer?
I think you will find that it's tulips - not roses.

Back to topic:

Well if your opportunities to be a soldier in the UK is not there and you want this lifestyle, then go for it.

Personally I would never wear a French uniform. Im not impressed with the military standard in the FFL. Im disrespectful now - I know. I just have too many negative experiences with the Legion.

How was your experience with The Stan?

Personally I have gained a great respect for the local tribes. These are tough people who live a tough life but possess a great pride. And Im proud that my abilities as a leader functioned under the huge stress that combat is. But what surpasses everything is the camaraderie that have arisen among those of us who was there.