French Foreign Legion

If I can see it, then I can do it.

If I just believe it, there's nothing to it.

I believe I can fly.

I believe I can touch the sky.

I think about it every night and day.

Did someone just mention Icarus??

Yes, he can fly.....No, he couldn't!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyQURcvURw8"]i believe i can fly(ice age 2) - YouTube[/ame]

I also thought that I set out to conquer the world

Hello my bare ass!
I have never in my life been so scared, never cried so much, never been so close to giving up a dream because I was suddenly confronted with a nightmare I never in my wildest dreams could imagine. The reason I got through was because I was given advice and support from the experienced soldiers who told and showed me how. And most important of all, I listened and learned. No matter how much I thought I could handle everything, I couldn't walk on water.

Since you have spoken with a "highly ranked member in the Legion" who surely must know what they're talking about, then why the hell are you asking us?

It doesn't matter what your military ambitions may be.
Its not going to happen if you have Hepatitis B.
Aside from keeping up with your meds, and generaly keeping healthy, it is a highly contagious disease, and its not if you should get wounded and bleed every where, but just living in close contact with others on a prolonged basis has it risks.
The World Health Organisation states its between 50 to 100 times more infectious than HIV.
Unlike the HIV virus, the Hep B virus can survive outside its host for a short period of time. So any body fluids left behind by a sufferer is a likely source of infection.
Do you really expect to be allowed to serve alongside others while carrying a virus that is so high a risk?
Forget what you may of heard of the Foreign Legion taking anyone just to make up numbers. You will face a barrage of medical tests before you get anywhere near starting basic training. They do not want anyone with such a high risk condition serving within their ranks. Sorry to be so brutal about it.
Heres a link to the World Health Organisation's site and their information on Hep. B. You should know all this already.
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs204/en/

There are so many other careers you can take under consideration; one is to prevent Iceland to be for sale on E-bay again. This "highly ranked member of the Legion"? How do you know he is a highly ranked member? He told you so? I am a Special Forces operative; I am a member of SAS, Delta, Seal Team 6, and I like to drink beer, which of these are not true? People are never lying?

A few years ago; a team of Brazilian SF went into the rain forest for an exercise, only two of them survived. They were very well-trained soldiers with high physical and mental stamina. The illusive killer was an unknown virus. How these SF soldiers got it? Unknown! The host? Unknown! There are many other micro-organisms in the rain forest we don't know about until....How do you think this had worked out for you when you are in the French Guiana? The same rain forest.

He is a commander over some battalion in the FFL he has pictures of him there and more, but anyways thanks for good answers, and i will try anyway and learn the hard way

i want to join the legion but i have slightly poor hearing after serving in afghan 2008 will have slightly poor hearing stop me joining the legion?

I just thought someone on here might have some idea on here it was just a shot in the dark to be honest

To 42RM always wanted to join my father was in the legion in the 70s and my brother is in the legion 2 rep (para regiment) he enlisted in 2007

So it's a sort of family tradition.

I just don´t understand that you will wear a French uniform when we in the UK have so many opportunities to serve. What is it you think you can get in the legion that you can´t get in the British army?

Ell I have served in army here in the uk I was 5 reg 255 battery S.T.A. I served 6 six happy years until I got the boot due to reforms and S.D.R.B. Also I have slightly poor hearing due to enemy action in helmond serving with 5 scots and now I out of the army might aswell try my hand at the legion learn a new language and have a fresh start in life

Stratigic defence review board and what exactly does clogs (which is dutch not french) and edammer have to do with the FFL?

Stratigic defence review board and what exactly does clogs (which is dutch not french) and edammer have to do with the FFL?
It was probably an attempt at German humor.

Helmond is a municipality and a city in the province of North Brabant in the southern Netherlands. Helmand is a Province in Afghanistan. Therefore the allusion to clogs, flowers and cheese - I think.

What is S.D.R.B ?

Did you not wonder why the locals walked around in clogs and handed out roses while they ate Edammer? :wink:
I think you will find that it's tulips - not roses. ;)

Back to topic:

Well if your opportunities to be a soldier in the UK is not there and you want this lifestyle, then go for it.

Personally I would never wear a French uniform. I´m not impressed with the military standard in the FFL. I´m disrespectful now - I know. I just have too many negative experiences with the Legion.

How was your experience with The Stan?

Personally I have gained a great respect for the local tribes. These are tough people who live a tough life but possess a great pride. And I´m proud that my abilities as a leader functioned under the huge stress that combat is. But what surpasses everything is the camaraderie that have arisen among those of us who was there.

Back