French foreign legion

The guys who revolted in N Africa counted on military wide support. There was long and deep involvement with that area.

Problem was, most serving at the time in the regular army were conscripts and not old professionals.

They had no intention of getting involved in this sort of maneuver.

Without their support, the resistance collapsed.

I know today the legion has a very long and deep pre enlistment process.

In addition to being some rough customers, homosexuality has its place.

French Military (most likely Airborne) units NOT Legion. Period. Nowhere near that AO.
History is what is is. Quoting Jamie Salazar's book....bad start to gaining any credibility.
Regards
Bob Underwood

You may be correct about Airborne. All I remember was our kassernes being shut down and our being told it was because of rioting caused by troops returning from Algeria. The main rumor was that they were Legionaires enraged by what they felt was being betrayed by the French government and people.
:salute2:

French Military (most likely Airborne) units NOT Legion. Period. Nowhere near that AO.
History is what is is. Quoting Jamie Salazar's book....bad start to gaining any credibility.
Regards
Bob Underwood

MAT-49 and Lvcabbie

FYI

The French don't call it airborne, its called "regiment parachautiste" or RP. But they are always called "les Paras".

For example: 1st 2nd REP the R.E.P stands for

REGIMENT. ETRANGER. PARACHAUTISTE. French Army "Paras" use the abbrieviation "RP". 2nd RP would be the 2nd Parachute Regiment and there are others like RPIM, REGIMENT PARACHUTIST INFANTRIE de MARINE (Marine Infantry Parachute Regiment).

Back to topic

I can ask my father in law about this one if you give me some time. He was a French Army Colonel in the Paras. 1962 was slightly before his time, but I bet he'd know if any PARAS were deployed in Verdun in 1962. 1962 is not a year the French military is soon to forget any time soon.

Last edited:
The French don't call it airborne, its called "regiment parachautiste" or RP. But they are always called "les Paras".

that's a given, I was trying to put in terms our "Master Sgt" could grasp...the one whom quotes Jamie Salazar

I am an american citizen, I have always wanted to join the US Military but due to my juvenile record I cannot join the desired branch which was either Army or Marines. The charges are no where near severe and even the recruiters said that they were stupid but its just the rules I guess. Im not a fan of being an outsider to my own country but seeing how France is a US friendly and seeing how the FFL help out around the world I see no problem in wanting to enlist. I just wanted to know if these charges would affect my enlistment, because that is a hell of a travel and money spent for no reason.
-Theft under $50 ($5)
-Fighting
-Miscellaneous Mischief (wrote in a book)
-Truancy (skipped 3 classes)
-Disruption of class (wearing a hat)
-Theft $50-$500
Im 18 years old, graduated early from High School and I have to serve to make due for taking granted of my privileged lifestyle and give back any way i can

Well by a one way ticket to Paris, find a cop and ask him for directions to the nearest Legion recruiting station and go knock on the door.
Dont specualte just bloody do it.

@MuteNPause.... my son followed Warwick's advised path, some years ago.
Do you have the grit to go through some of the roughest training in the world?
Its no joke.

@mmarsh ......and Etranger Genie? are they engineers?

Sometimes its the only way...... anyone really serious about joining the Legion would/ should have the smarts to hook upon one of the many Legion websites or forums for advice.
Though they have a pretty harsh view on wanna-be's......

@MuteNPause.... my son followed Warwick's advised path, some years ago.
Do you have the grit to go through some of the roughest training in the world?
Its no joke.

@mmarsh ......and Etranger Genie? are they engineers?

Yes Im looking forward to it

Sometimes its the only way...... anyone really serious about joining the Legion would/ should have the smarts to hook upon one of the many Legion websites or forums for advice.
Though they have a pretty harsh view on wanna-be's......

Ive been to forums the actual website, none of them are helping, Im serious about joining and Im not looking to be babied the whole way through. I just want to make sure I dnt make this trip for no reason

Hello everyone.
I am new here and will shortly introduce myself but before that wanted to comment on this post.

As a European long story short I found myself in the dilemma of either joining the legion or not having any kind of military experience, so I did alot of research on the legion.

Essentially like many said, CERVENS forum has alot of info and is managed by legionnaires or ex-legionnaires.

The reason many on this forum are "rough" is because 99% of posters are wannabes asking the same questions, people with no guts talking and talking about how they're going to join, but never really doing anything about it.

And alot of ex-legionnaires on this forum are of the generation that didn't think like that. to them, it was "shut the **** up and join if you want to do it". There was no discussion, no "how to prepare" thread and other nonsense.

But for those serious enough about joining there is some good information on this site.

Also, there are alot of myths concerning the legion, obviously because of its checkered history.

But the reality in 2013 is the legion has nothing to do with the legion of the past except some traditions.

2013 legion is an elite "combined arms" unit, with its own cavalry, airborne, engineer, infantry, units.

They are usually the 1st to get sent in by the French government and the last out in any OP.

Recruit wise nowadays its a real mix. But lots of Eastern Europeans, Chinese/Asians, and Europeans along with the usual lot of Americans, Brits, South Africans, etc.

In terms of info the official legion recrutement site is also very good: http://www.legion-recrute.com/en/

I would ask any question about felonies and crimes on there.
Generally as I understand, the legion has the following attitude: If you're a strong willed guy with a good attitude, they are willing to let "bad" guys in and close their eyes on many things. However some crimes DO NOT PASS anymore as the level of recruits and high competition means they can afford to pick the best. But like another poster said, if you lie no matter what you will be rejected. What the legion hates above all is liars. And from my experience hiding or "not mentioning" something is slightly different than lying in the legion :sarc:

But again dont lie, because the Gestapo (name for background check recruitement guys who interview you) are somehow able to trace everything (they must have interpol access).

So my conclusion is:
- Join if you want to join a military unit of the highest caliber, but cant join your own country
- Dont join if you are not certain you want military lifestyle. Not hollywood military lifestyle. Scrubbing toilets, cleaning guns, running until you have nearly a heart attack, crazy NCOs, crazy wild parties and heavy drinking, proper infantryman kind of lifestyle.

I mention this because like many people mentioned...There are better ways to spend 5 years. But if you think you're made for this go for it.

I almost forgot. How to do it?
Just pick up a plane ticket and go to the gates of the legion HQ in Aubagne.
The legion takes care of the rest. A little preparation won't hurt of course, check online for that there are countless threads (what to bring, what not to bring, etc...There are full guides for foreigners out there).
But most important bring a 100% will. If you're hesitant or not fully commited, you will fail (like many do).

Back