French Foreign Legion

Honestly?

Why do you want to join them? I mean, not denigrating your choice of career path, or the Legion themselves, but I'm curious to know your motivation for joining a unit which ultimately serves the national interest of a country which (from your avatar details) appears to be quite different from your own?

Not everyone soldiers to serve a country.

Bingo.
Nor do they serve to protect ideals or "the greater good", whatever that might entail.
Some people just wants to get in a fight and get paid for it.
Had it not been so there would not be any PMC,s for one.

Good luck in your future career Tommy Gunn.
From what I hear the legion isn´t what it once was, but that is second hand info and might be irrelevant to your decision making process.
If not, send me a PM and I will tell you what I heard off the open board.

//KJ.

in south africa if u are a white male in a certain age group u just dont get work or can join the sandf and so yes i want a future for my self where i can be happy

in south africa if u are a white male in a certain age group u just dont get work or can join the sandf and so yes i want a future for my self where i can be happy

Tommy

A disclaimer: I have never served, but members of my immediately family are serving French soldiers. So this is from them, not me. I have never been a soldier, my father-in-law is a Colonel and has commanded FFL units.

Understand this:

1. If you are accepted as a Legionnaire you will be fighting for France. The FFL is no longer a independent army (the Algiers failed Coup ended its autonomous state), its now a independent arm of the French military under the orders of French Army Officers. You are NOT a French soldier but you will be fighting for France. See if that bothers you or not.

2. The Legion mainly serves in some of the nasty places of the world (such as Central Africa, Afghanistan, etc..). You will very likely see combat. Being Wounded or Killed are real possibilities more so than in conventional armies. Again see #1. Ask yourself if you are ready to die fighting for the Legion even though you are not French?

3. Because you are NOT a French Soldier, the French Government sees you as totally EXPENDABLE.. Thats why the legion exists, to send soldiers to a place too dangerous or miserable to risk actual French soldiers. The FFL gets the most dangerous assignments. Remember that.

4. Discipline is the same between the regular French army and the FFL, but it is applied MUCH more rigorously in the FFL. The FFL does things most normal armies don't...like corporal punishment. Nobody knows for sure what happens (ex-legionnaires don't talk about it) but the one thing they do say is that its brutal. The FFL is not your typical army, its has a different Ethos. Life in the FFL is extremely Spartan. Desertion is not only common, but actually considered normal.

5. Many Legionaries already have military training, so you may be billeting with people who are accustomed to military life. The FFL does often attract bullies, petty criminals, and other not-so-nice people. Americans in particular often have a tough time because of the negative world sentiments surrounding the US these days.

I am not trying to persuade nor dissuade you. But you should be aware that the romanticism about the FFL belongs in the movies. Although I would recommend you talk to a FFL recruiter first and foremost. I can speak to my relatives about any specific questions you might have.

Last edited:
Wallabies - Not everyone soldiers to serve a country.

KJ -
Bingo.
Nor do they serve to protect ideals or "the greater good", whatever that might entail.
Some people just wants to get in a fight and get paid for it.
Had it not been so there would not be any PMC,s for one.

I don't disagree at all guys. :wink:

I guess mmarsh kinda put it better than I did (or considering his connections, could've)....

1. ......You are NOT a French soldier but you will be fighting for France. See if that bothers you or not.

3. Because you are NOT a French Soldier, the French Government sees you as totally EXPENDABLE...

Not that any soldier isn't expendable when push really comes to shove.... but still....

Anyway, like KJ says, best of luck. :)

I met a couple former Legionares years ago.
"Brutal" was their word on their experences.

As stated, though there are higher standards these days, you will find guys you wont like.
Worse you may find some who will "like" you.

There is a 5 year commitment.

a mate of mine is in the Foreign Legion and has just been awarded five bravery awards; more than any member of his unit ever. he is being being awared the Le legion d'honneur next month in Paris. not bad for a Brit that could not get in to the British Army due to medical reasons!

i want to join i want to be a soilder and my country wont let me and im willing to go through hell and back to be one can anybody put me in a good direction to the ffl please please

i want to join i want to be a soilder and my country wont let me and im willing to go through hell and back to be one can anybody put me in a good direction to the ffl please please

Hell isn't an easy word to say mate! Trust me, when we say (Six weeks in the Green Hell) we mean it!
Look at the options you have in your own country, if the reason why you cant make it to your own country's army is either (Physical or Medical) then dont waste your time! If it's educational, then you're welcome, still you will get through a rigorous Psycho-technical & Reaction test that always 50% of the recruits are disbanded due to failing this test. So if your brain acts like a block of shitty stones, then you better stay home as well.
The Legion is not your casual sunday trip nor your boy scouts reunion, not even the regular french army!
Think well & Think wisely before making us your decision!

The Legion has a pretty high desertion rate amongst yanks and Brits hence they have a high intake of Eastern Europeans.
Stick with the national guard, they get all the action they need these days.

The post by MMarsh was one of the best information posts I have ever read.
Please take note of what he said Tommy Gunn. It is a long hard 5 years.

alan.p.

I had the pleasure to get acquainted with the FFL and the French Marine Infantry in Sarajevo while serving with the UN in FY. They held the airport there. What impressed me most were their dogs - German Shepherds.....:smile:...a sound on the perimeter during night and they marked it.​

Back