The French Foreign Legion.

Have you served or is this coming from a friend or the things you have read? I really appreciate your help, of course, but I just want to make sure I'm not expecting A) a cake walk as some would have me believe B) that I'm am or not joining something a Ranger couldn't even survive (i.e. harder then the special forces) and of course C) that I'm as psychologically prepared as possible. So I want to make sure that I'm getting info as up to date and direct as possible short of flying over to France and asking at the Fort myself.

Since you are from the US why enlist in a foreign army? What about the good old US Army.

I would say the rigors of FFL training are on par with Ranger school of the US Army. (Not a calewalk indeed)I think anyone would suffer back problems if they took repeated blows to it. However, if you do have back problems...carrying weight on your back constantly is going to bring it out. We aren't talking just a little weight either...we are talking 80lbs-120lbs of gear you will be carrying daily for miles and miles. Glossing over it and saying "i'm physically fit" isn't going to convince us. Very fit people wash out of the FFL and other militaries all the time.

Just know what you're doing and getting yourself into. It isn't what you think...I can promise you that.

Something new to try out then. I'll try to walk with a pack for a few miles and see what it does to me. Thank you for the advice on that part.

I'm not joining the US army because I'm not American (though I do live in the US). Also, I don't want to serve a specific country. The Legion serves itself, more or less, and that sounds good for me.

Quite simply put the Legion provides what I need: I want to get away from my life, who I am and the people in my life. I can change my name, who I am, where I'm from and when I'm done start my life over, essentially. I'm willing to do anything the Legion requests of me to make this happen. The only thing I'm worried about is the rope climbing (but practice makes perfect, right?) and the psycometric tests (which I can't find ANYWHERE online; does anyone have a link???)

Thanks again for helping me with this, guys! With luck in a few months you won't hear from me anymore. LOL If I make it, I'll let you know when I'm out. If I don't, I'll let you know as well.

Have you served or is this coming from a friend or the things you have read? I really appreciate your help, of course, but I just want to make sure I'm not expecting A) a cake walk as some would have me believe B) that I'm am or not joining something a Ranger couldn't even survive (i.e. harder then the special forces) and of course C) that I'm as psychologically prepared as possible. So I want to make sure that I'm getting info as up to date and direct as possible short of flying over to France and asking at the Fort myself.
My information comes partly from a former army buddy who is now in the legion on his second year, partly from the legionaries who I have met and trained with during NATO exercises and from my experience as an NCO in a recce unit.

Why don't you just Google it the Legion is not permitted to serve in metropolitan France because they mutinied some years ago in Algeria , I think they are based in Corsica .
Not correct. It´s a myth.
The Légion Étrangère is located in the city Aubagne near Marseille in southern France. FFL basic training is done in the town of Castelnaudary also located in southern France.

I would say the rigors of FFL training are on par with Ranger school of the US Army. (Not a calewalk indeed)I think anyone would suffer back problems if they took repeated blows to it. However, if you do have back problems...carrying weight on your back constantly is going to bring it out. We aren't talking just a little weight either...we are talking 80lbs-120lbs of gear you will be carrying daily for miles and miles. Glossing over it and saying "i'm physically fit" isn't going to convince us. Very fit people wash out of the FFL and other militaries all the time.

Just know what you're doing and getting yourself into. It isn't what you think...I can promise you that.
The French Foreign Legion is the main Rapid Intervention Force for the French Army. The training in the Legion is fairly tough and compares favourably with modern warfare practice. Basic training is somewhat close to US Ranger training at the physical level. The Ranger however, is a much better trained soldier.
But they do have units which is on par with the US Rangers and US Special Forces.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The answers you have been given about physics from both me and brinktk come from our own experience as combat soldiers. It´s fact and not something we say to scare you. I can follow your mindset and I think you should follow your dream. After all, It`s better to have tried and failed than to never have tried at all.

Good luck mate.

Thanks Kesse81. Is there anything I need to be focusing on specifically? The fact is, the phsyical part does NOT scare me at all (minus the rope climbing...freaking ropes). The only part that worries me is the tests.

I know they do psychometric tests. Is there anything you can tell me about those? Or any of the other written tests they have us take?

I wouldn't worry about the tests, all they are trying to establish are your attitude, aptitude and basic intelligence which are all important, you say the physical part doesn't scare you, well it should because no matter how fit you are now, you will get fitter and constantly challenged and helped to improve your fitness. I know a lot of guys that have on paper and appearance looked superbly fit, they could lift heavy weights and run five miles every day etc etc.
However it's stamina and will power that will keep.you going. It's all very well doing a five mile run, but doing the same with webbing, bergan, rifle, ammo, boots and( if your instructor is cruel) helmet.
I would definitely be concerned about your existing back injury because you will be putting a lot of strain on it, not just carrying loads but simple things like sit ups. You can tell them about your injury and hope they let you join or hide it and hope for the best, however if they X-Ray it and discover a previous undeclared injury then they will.probably throw you out onto the street.
I wish you the best of luck, there are many training books out there about how to get fit for service, I recall one that I used and its about royal marine fitness training week by week. If you can stick by that regime things might be easier.
Once again good luck

I've been through my old e-mails, here´s what I´ve found from my old mate when he joined the legion.

00000004.jpg

Shoulder surgery and scars

I had surgery on my shoulder and have a few scars from it. I can use it and it's back to 100%. I'm trying to cover up my scars right now. Will it be a problem? I don't plan on telling them at all.

What's the medical test like exactly?

Back