French Foreign Legion and Misdemeanor Charges

--

March 7th, 2013  
rmd90

Topic: French Foreign Legion and Misdemeanor Charges

Hello, I am seriously considering buying a plane ticket to Paris and joining the French Foreign Legion, however I have one problem. A couple years ago after high school I got caught and charged, NOT convicted, with a very small amount of marijuana which ended up being a misdemeanor. Since then I haven't touched that stuff and successfully completed my probation and got my record expunged. I don't plan on ever using marijuana again but I am curious if they will find out about it and disqualify me from serving because of it. Expert advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
March 7th, 2013  
headwards

Get a job at a video store hippie, People arent here for your excuses and self denial.

At the same time -if theyll have you- you won't be blazing that **** anymore!
March 7th, 2013  
headwards

Were you blazed when you hatched that master plan?
--
March 7th, 2013  
Warwick

If you are serious and not some mentally unbalanced PS2 walt ...
Best you look at a more applicable French Foreign Legion Website and ask for advice on there.
Or, just turn up in Paris follow the recruiting posters directions in every metro and take it from there!
March 7th, 2013  
rmd90

I was asking for serious advice, but I guess I came to the wrong place for that.
March 7th, 2013  
I3BrigPvSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd90
I was asking for serious advice, but I guess I came to the wrong place for that.
I think there is a recruitment office for the FFL in Canada; you can ask them (the French embassy)
March 7th, 2013  
brinktk

Quote:
Originally Posted by headwards
Get a job at a video store hippie, People arent here for your excuses and self denial.

At the same time -if theyll have you- you won't be blazing that **** anymore!

I suppose you never made a stupid decision when you were a teenager...

Anyways, there haven't been any active legion members on this forum for some time and they would be the best source on exactly what you're looking for. There are a few threads on here addressing the requirements for joining the legion, I would suggest you check them out using the search function. Or, as Warwick noted, utilize a more appropriate legion recruiting site where I'm sure they have experts on hand to answer any of your questions.
March 7th, 2013  
headwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinktk
I suppose you never made a stupid decision when you were a teenager...

Anyways, there haven't been any active legion members on this forum for some time and they would be the best source on exactly what you're looking for. There are a few threads on here addressing the requirements for joining the legion, I would suggest you check them out using the search function. Or, as Warwick noted, utilize a more appropriate legion recruiting site where I'm sure they have experts on hand to answer any of your questions.
I made plenty of stupid decisions but I never decided to fly to France to sign my life away. Bad idea man. Real bad.
March 8th, 2013  
brinktk

Quote:
Originally Posted by headwards
I made plenty of stupid decisions but I never decided to fly to France to sign my life away. Bad idea man. Real bad.

You may not agree with his decision, but ultimately, it's his decision. Big boy rules. I'm not going to knock him on his life decisions. He's asking legitimate advice from people who are experienced on matters dealing with the military. As an adult, if he wants to serve in the legion then he has every right to do it. He's going to be the one dealing with the consequences of this decision. All we can do is present him with facts. If he asks for opinions then chime in all you want. For now, let's just do the facts part.
March 8th, 2013  
headwards

The fact is, the legion isnt intended for 17 year olds who have done nothing more wrong then smoke some grass.

I for one wouldnt see this kid screw himself and his family over, off what is probably a whim based off struggling to find meaning in life coming out of school.

Stay home, take care of your mother, get an education - then join the military if you still want it. But serve your own country, theyll value you more.
It may not make sense now, but thats ok you can thank me later.