French Foreign Legion and Misdemeanor Charges

rmd90

Hello, I am seriously considering buying a plane ticket to Paris and joining the French Foreign Legion, however I have one problem. A couple years ago after high school I got caught and charged, NOT convicted, with a very small amount of marijuana which ended up being a misdemeanor. Since then I haven't touched that stuff and successfully completed my probation and got my record expunged. I don't plan on ever using marijuana again but I am curious if they will find out about it and disqualify me from serving because of it. Expert advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Get a job at a video store hippie, People arent here for your excuses and self denial.

At the same time -if theyll have you- you won't be blazing that **** anymore!

If you are serious and not some mentally unbalanced PS2 walt ...
Best you look at a more applicable French Foreign Legion Website and ask for advice on there.
Or, just turn up in Paris follow the recruiting posters directions in every metro and take it from there!

Get a job at a video store hippie, People arent here for your excuses and self denial.

At the same time -if theyll have you- you won't be blazing that **** anymore!

I suppose you never made a stupid decision when you were a teenager...

Anyways, there haven't been any active legion members on this forum for some time and they would be the best source on exactly what you're looking for. There are a few threads on here addressing the requirements for joining the legion, I would suggest you check them out using the search function. Or, as Warwick noted, utilize a more appropriate legion recruiting site where I'm sure they have experts on hand to answer any of your questions.

I suppose you never made a stupid decision when you were a teenager...

Anyways, there haven't been any active legion members on this forum for some time and they would be the best source on exactly what you're looking for. There are a few threads on here addressing the requirements for joining the legion, I would suggest you check them out using the search function. Or, as Warwick noted, utilize a more appropriate legion recruiting site where I'm sure they have experts on hand to answer any of your questions.

I made plenty of stupid decisions but I never decided to fly to France to sign my life away. Bad idea man. Real bad.

I made plenty of stupid decisions but I never decided to fly to France to sign my life away. Bad idea man. Real bad.

You may not agree with his decision, but ultimately, it's his decision. Big boy rules. I'm not going to knock him on his life decisions. He's asking legitimate advice from people who are experienced on matters dealing with the military. As an adult, if he wants to serve in the legion then he has every right to do it. He's going to be the one dealing with the consequences of this decision. All we can do is present him with facts. If he asks for opinions then chime in all you want. For now, let's just do the facts part.

The fact is, the legion isnt intended for 17 year olds who have done nothing more wrong then smoke some grass.

I for one wouldnt see this kid screw himself and his family over, off what is probably a whim based off struggling to find meaning in life coming out of school.

Stay home, take care of your mother, get an education - then join the military if you still want it. But serve your own country, theyll value you more.
It may not make sense now, but thats ok you can thank me later.

I think you're assuming the legion today is what it was 30 or more years ago. They have really tightened the requirements for joining and from what I've observed are taking more people looking for adventure as opposed to "degenerate criminals". So what if he wants to "find a meaning in life". Is that not how most people push themselves to excellence? Give people the information they need to make their own decision. It's not your decision to make and has zero impact on your life at all. What's the point of degrading him from the start? Do you really expect that to be effective?

Also, if he has ANY criminal history, he's not getting into the military in the US. His only chance to see a military lifestyle may be to go to the legion. Notice he said "a couple of years ago AFTER HIGHSCHOOL" meaning he's not 17, he's at least in his early 20s. It's his decision. He may find out it's the best OR worst decision of his life. Just because it's not in line with your set of values doesn't mean it's wrong. The FFL is a very professional and very well trained fighting force. He could certainly do worse.

Serving ones own country doesn't necessarily mean they "value" you more. The government is always going to serve their interests first and if that means crapping on their veterans, they'll do it without ANY reservations whatsoever. They love you when they need bodies to feed to the meat grinder. As soon as that need is over your sacrifice is often purged from their memory to deal with "more pressing matters".

Free will is the reason why I fight and serve. Giving people the oppurtunity to CHOOSE their own path in life whether it's good or bad is the single greatest thing about our society. You chose your path in life and it works for you. Let him choose his with the most accurate information available.

The soldiers of foreign legion:" we fight for the moneys ,we die for moneys, we wounded for the moneys. No money no talks."

Hello, I am seriously considering buying a plane ticket to Paris and joining the French Foreign Legion, however I have one problem. A couple years ago after high school I got caught and charged, NOT convicted, with a very small amount of marijuana which ended up being a misdemeanor. Since then I haven't touched that stuff and successfully completed my probation and got my record expunged. I don't plan on ever using marijuana again but I am curious if they will find out about it and disqualify me from serving because of it. Expert advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Whatever you've done, tell the truth. Le Deuxieme Bureau will find out.
Your "crime" is immaterial

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

from what I saw on the History channel about the Legion... it be some bad-ass training to become a Legionnaire.
[FONT=&quot]Bad ass[/FONT][FONT=&quot] perhaps. But all elite units are bad ass.
The legion
does not differ much from other elite units such as the Royal Marines or U.S. Rangers.

[/FONT]

from what I saw on the History channel about the Legion... it be some bad-ass training to become a Legionnaire.
[FONT=&quot]Bad ass[/FONT][FONT=&quot] perhaps. But all elite units are bad ass.
The legion
does not differ much from other elite units such as the Royal Marines or U.S. Rangers.

[/FONT]

from what I've observed are taking more people looking for adventure as opposed to "degenerate criminals".
[FONT=&quot]Not quite[FONT=&quot].
It's not a life for the adventurous who want to go to battle. This kind of people do not thrive in the Legion. Being a legionnaire is about training, team spirit and ability to work closely together and solving military tasks in a very professional unit. Those who dream of war are not suitable for combat.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Not quite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It's not a life for the adventurous who want to go to battle. This kind of people do not thrive in the Legion. Being a legionnaire is about training, team spirit and ability to work closely together and solving military tasks in a very professional unit. Those who dream of war are not suitable for combat.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

I understand that, your point is valid for any professional military organization. I was simply using it as a counter to the common misconception that legionaires are predominantly criminals, outcasts, etc. That's not necessarily the case. People join the legion for the same reasons people join their respective countries military. Also, having a sense of adventure is different than wanting to go into combat. I had one when I first joined...I think most people do. I liked the idea of being able to blow stuff up, ride helicopters, shoot weapons, meet different people, be challenged every day, etc. That was the type of adventurous spirit I meant.

As for combat...nobody knows what the hell they've gotten themselves into until it's too late.

I understand that, your point is valid for any professional military organization. I was simply using it as a counter to the common misconception that legionaires are predominantly criminals, outcasts, etc. That's not necessarily the case. People join the legion for the same reasons people join their respective countries military. Also, having a sense of adventure is different than wanting to go into combat. I had one when I first joined...I think most people do. I liked the idea of being able to blow stuff up, ride helicopters, shoot weapons, meet different people, be challenged every day, etc. That was the type of adventurous spirit I meant.
Precisely, I agree.

As for combat...nobody knows what the hell they've gotten themselves into until it's too late.
Sadly yes[FONT=&quot]. And once you have crossed that line, there is no turning back.[/FONT]

Back