French Foreign Legion (again)

jsoholt

I have read some of the now closed entries on the last Foreign Legion forum and realised that nobody there had actually served in the legion. Well, I have, 5 years, and I'll be happy to answer questions.

1.have you some problems when you return your homeland?

2. I heard that in france legionnaires dont have good reputation, is it tru?

please, answer my question if you be able :)

1) No unless you've actually fought against your home country while in the Legion. The Legion allows you to not deploy to fight against your own people.

2) Apparently it's still notoriously racist but they don't allow for people with serious criminal records and prefer people with no criminal records.

1) No unless you've actually fought against your home country while in the Legion. The Legion allows you to not deploy to fight against your own people.

2) Apparently it's still notoriously racist but they don't allow for people with serious criminal records and prefer people with no criminal records.

and

according to statistics one legionnaire of ten dies in combat, is it tru nowdays? or is it old statistics?

I have read some of the now closed entries on the last Foreign Legion forum and realised that nobody there had actually served in the legion. Well, I have, 5 years, and I'll be happy to answer questions.

Hi I am ex Legion Etrangere what Regiment and where did you serve

1.have you some problems when you return your homeland?

2. I heard that in france legionnaires dont have good reputation, is it tru?

please, answer my question if you be able :)

Question No1.....No

Question No2.....As all Regiments are based in the south of France,except for 2eme REP, Calvi Corsica, and 13 DBL (Djibouti),the locals are used to seeing Legionnaires it doesn't bother them

If anyone has any question about joining or general questions about the Legion I will only be happy to oblige. Jsoholt who has not been on for three weeks or answered my messages , seems as if he may not come back, but I will be on here regular, so if I can help I will. Merci

SO MANY QUESTIONS

I would like to know ANY and everything that I need to know that would make me successful in joining the legion. I have beeen doing research online for about 6 months. I am an Iraq/Afghanistan Vet (4 tours) and am in very good shape, so for me the question is more about the pay, retirement potential, advancement potential, pschyo-analytical testing and so forth. Please share anything you can think of!!! thanks SO much...:rambo:

I would like to know ANY and everything that I need to know that would make me successful in joining the legion. I have beeen doing research online for about 6 months. I am an Iraq/Afghanistan Vet (4 tours) and am in very good shape, so for me the question is more about the pay, retirement potential, advancement potential, pschyo-analytical testing and so forth. Please share anything you can think of!!! thanks SO much...:rambo:

A lot less than the US Army. Why not just go into the Marine Corps if you're up for a change?

Pay is here

http://www.legion-recrute.com/en/salaires.php?SM=0

RE = Basic training
REI = Infantry
REP = Parachaute Regiment
DBLE = Demi Brigade of Mechanized Infantry

There is also Engineer (REG) Cavalry/light Armor) (REC) and Recruitment (DGEM) I couldnt find pay scales for these but expect it to be more the less the same on average.

There is various bonus pay not included on the chart that you may receive.

Advancement in the Legion is strictly based on merit.

The Ratio is 25% of legionnaires become NCOs, 10% of NCOs become officers.

All NCOs start off as simple legionnaires, you need the following minimum level as a soldier before becoming a NCO

Corporal -2 years
Senior Corporal -6 years
Sergent (you have served a minimum of 3 as a corporal or senior corporal)
Senior Sergent (minimum 3 years minimum as a sergent)
Adjutant (minimum 3 years as a Senior Sergent)
Senior Adjutant (minimum 3 years as a Adjutant)
Major (upon reaching Senior Adjutant, but you must pass exam selection)

So if you were an absolute racehorse you could go from Legionnaire to Major in 14 years, but I seriously doubt this happens often. Most majors have between 14-25 years experance.

Major is the highest rank in the legion, they report to Regular French Army Staff officers.

Benefits -45 days annual leave. There are other benefits but you best talk to a recruiter.

One retirement thing that is kinda unique, is the Legion actually operates its own vineyard in Provence. The entire farm is run by elderly retired legionnaires (usually those that have no family). The wine is called Esprit de Corps (Code of Honor) and can be purchased online.

FFL Vineyards.

http://www.wineterroirs.com/2008/09/legion_wine.html

Last edited:
As a US Army recruiter in Tallahassee, FL in 1979 we once had a prior service guy wanting info on the Legion. I had just read a book about the Legion which had a phone # to call in Miami, Fl. I don’t know if it helped the guy, I hope so.

Well, if "sexyarmy11b" really had 4 tours in the sand box, I don't think he'd have any problem in getting a better-than-normal contact with the FFL.

Can u give some advice pls? Im in Paris on the 29th this month. Could use any info that will bolster my chances of getting in. Thanks.

Back