French carrier Charles De Gaulle

A Can of Man

Je suis aware
Source:
http://www.strategypage.com/dls/articles/2003127.asp

Basically an article on how not to build an aircraft carrier... i.e. like the De Gaulle.
It's a good read so I recommend you go through it. It's not a very long article either.

On the other hand, other articles haven't repeated these sentiments. Maybe they finally did iron out the problems. However, for future carriers it seems the French are more interested in adopting a British design. The British have some on the drawing board and the French want in on it.

Actually I found a 1999 Dutch source:
http://www.antenna.nl/wise/index.html?http://www.antenna.nl/wise/505/4972.html

But that's 1999.

The carrier may have some problems but you also have to lok at it like this: France hasn't had a New carrier in almost 30 years now. The new carrier design though should probably be a joint project between some group of EU nations though.

They're thinking of doing a joint project with the UK, but already it's hitting some bumps as the French want most of the work to be done in French shipyards.

But the french have a carrier with real fighter aircraft, unlike the british that have the harrier. you cant compare a Harrier to a Rafael...

No, the new one isn't going to be a Harrier carrying ship. It's going to be rather big, and it's going to use real aircraft.
The JSF is probably going to be their main fighter working off it. It's VTOL, but I don't think the French would shake on anything that wouldn't take their fixed wing aircraft.

AWWW COME ON!!! Stop being so sensitive. :lol: You know what I mean. F-18s, F-14s, that sort of stuff! Things that can at least pretend to break the sound barrier!

the_13th_redneck said:
No, the new one isn't going to be a Harrier carrying ship. It's going to be rather big, and it's going to use real aircraft.
The JSF is probably going to be their main fighter working off it. It's VTOL, but I don't think the French would shake on anything that wouldn't take their fixed wing aircraft.

why not just call them conventional aircraft

Harriers aren't real aircraft.
Okay, where are the pilots? Bring 'em on :rambo:

:shock: <-- after I realize just how many there are...

To all notice I said:
real fighter aircraft

The Harrier is a close support/attack aircraft. Not a match for planes like the Mig 29, F-15, F-16, or even the Mirage veraients. And if you are about to say somthing about the Royal Navy Harriers that killed off Argentinian Mirages, well the British pilots are a bit better. Also the Argentinians were so obsessed with trying to sink the Carrier... They dident really try to take all the Harriers down.

The JSF is a diffrent story. But I dont know much about it yet, and it hasnt seen action yet.

one story was that an argentinian tried to get a shot at a harrier, and flew straight past it, so the harrier shot it in the back.

If the Arentine pilots were of better quality they would have smashed the Harriers to pieces. The Mirage is a highly capable dogfighter.

SHERMAN said:
If the Arentine pilots were of better quality they would have smashed the Harriers to pieces. The Mirage is a highly capable dogfighter.

*cough*

VIFFing

Vectoring In Foward Flight

SHERMAN said:
And by that you mean to say what?

A rotating cascade of vanes is used in each nozzle to vector the thrust from a horizontal direction for high-speed flight to a vertical direction for hovering and vertical takeoff and landing. Intermediate positions are used for short takeoff and landing (STOL) and for maneuvering in combat situations. (This latter technique is referred to as VIFF, vectoring in forward flight.) The use of VIFF to enhance aircraft maneuverability and hence combat effectiveness was pioneered in flight studies at the Langley Research Center in the late 1960's and early 1970's. For rapid deceleration, the nozzles can actually be rotated past the vertical position to about 98°.

In 1969 the concept was developed of using thrust vectoring on P.1127-type aircraft to enhance the maneuverability of fighters in air combat. Although the application of vectoring in forward flight (VIFF) was fundamentally attractive, considerable engineering concern existed over potential control requirements, stability characteristics, and the physical well being of the engine in such maneuvers. A joint VIFF program between NASA and the Royal Aircraft Establishment was initiated in 1972, and flying in the United Kingdom continued through 1976. Results obtained in flight evaluations against a variety of high-performance adversary aircraft and analyses of evasive maneuvers provided by VIFF against enemy ground-to-air and air-to-air missiles resulted in overwhelming support for VIFF as a valuable tool for the AV-8 pilot.

lets see a mirage do THAT!

p.s i love the harrier!

300px-Harrier.gr7.750pix.jpg

I actually like the Harrier as well.
I think the most enduring image of the Harrier was from the end of the movie True Lies.
"You're Fired." :lol:

Back