French carrier Charles De Gaulle - Page 2

--

February 8th, 2005  
Whispering Death

How about you call them next generation engagement airframe platforms with non-VTOL capabilities?
February 8th, 2005  
A Can of Man

Harriers aren't real aircraft.
Okay, where are the pilots? Bring 'em on

<-- after I realize just how many there are...
February 8th, 2005  
SHERMAN

To all notice I said:
Quote:
real fighter aircraft
The Harrier is a close support/attack aircraft. Not a match for planes like the Mig 29, F-15, F-16, or even the Mirage veraients. And if you are about to say somthing about the Royal Navy Harriers that killed off Argentinian Mirages, well the British pilots are a bit better. Also the Argentinians were so obsessed with trying to sink the Carrier... They dident really try to take all the Harriers down.

The JSF is a diffrent story. But I dont know much about it yet, and it hasnt seen action yet.
--
February 8th, 2005  
jimmyboy

one story was that an argentinian tried to get a shot at a harrier, and flew straight past it, so the harrier shot it in the back.
February 8th, 2005  
SHERMAN

If the Arentine pilots were of better quality they would have smashed the Harriers to pieces. The Mirage is a highly capable dogfighter.
February 8th, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
If the Arentine pilots were of better quality they would have smashed the Harriers to pieces. The Mirage is a highly capable dogfighter.
*cough*

VIFFing

Vectoring In Foward Flight
February 8th, 2005  
SHERMAN

And by that you mean to say what?
February 8th, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
And by that you mean to say what?
A rotating cascade of vanes is used in each nozzle to vector the thrust from a horizontal direction for high-speed flight to a vertical direction for hovering and vertical takeoff and landing. Intermediate positions are used for short takeoff and landing (STOL) and for maneuvering in combat situations. (This latter technique is referred to as VIFF, vectoring in forward flight.) The use of VIFF to enhance aircraft maneuverability and hence combat effectiveness was pioneered in flight studies at the Langley Research Center in the late 1960's and early 1970's. For rapid deceleration, the nozzles can actually be rotated past the vertical position to about 98.

In 1969 the concept was developed of using thrust vectoring on P.1127-type aircraft to enhance the maneuverability of fighters in air combat. Although the application of vectoring in forward flight (VIFF) was fundamentally attractive, considerable engineering concern existed over potential control requirements, stability characteristics, and the physical well being of the engine in such maneuvers. A joint VIFF program between NASA and the Royal Aircraft Establishment was initiated in 1972, and flying in the United Kingdom continued through 1976. Results obtained in flight evaluations against a variety of high-performance adversary aircraft and analyses of evasive maneuvers provided by VIFF against enemy ground-to-air and air-to-air missiles resulted in overwhelming support for VIFF as a valuable tool for the AV-8 pilot.

lets see a mirage do THAT!

p.s i love the harrier!

February 8th, 2005  
A Can of Man

I actually like the Harrier as well.
I think the most enduring image of the Harrier was from the end of the movie True Lies.
"You're Fired."
February 9th, 2005  
Darcia

Wait isn't the Harrier the deadliest aircraft in America's arsenal when it comes to crashes....