Freedom Tower

egoz

There seemed to be confusion in another thread about what WTC was and the new design was mentioned. I personally don't mind it. It's amusing that we are building a bigger building in it's place. I always thought it was about time the US reclaim the title of having the world's tallest building. NY was the capital of tall buildings during the turn of the century. With the Petronas Towers in KL and that new one somewhere else in Asia the US seemed to be lagging behind. The building to take its place stands 1776 ft, 541m for you metric guys (as in 1776 the year the Declaration of Independance was signed). I was just curious as to what the international community might think of it?
freedom_f.jpg

beware low flying planes

i personally dont see the point of the whole "lets build something really big just so we can say we have the biggest..."
smells of arrogance if you ask me

surly a bigger tower jsut provides a bigger target?

so if its called "freedom tower" does this means when the americans get over the french not helping them, along with "freedom fries" its name will change back to "French tower"?? :D

well that's why i found it amusing. in essence we built a bigger target. but we aren't about to limit our building design because of terrorists. i thought of that arrogance thing too when they said they were going for the biggest tower. but doesn't that fit the mold?

i have a feeling there are a few people out there that still aren't over that french thing though. if you face the facts then if it weren't for the french there wouldn't even be a united states of america in the first place. but let's hope that's just a phase.

KICK ASS!! I love it. The fact that we can rebuild something that beautiful from the ashes and rubble of the WTC. It is so cool. (by the way. Hey egoz. Who is that on your post?)

master2001 said:
(by the way. Hey egoz. Who is that on your post?)
that would be adrianna lima there's a few more pics in the international hotties thread.

i kind of like the design. it's a very modern theme and, at least in that picture, it really stands out in a good way from the rest of the NY skyline.

egoz said:
There seemed to be confusion in another thread about what WTC was and the new design was mentioned. I personally don't mind it. It's amusing that we are building a bigger building in it's place. I always thought it was about time the US reclaim the title of having the world's tallest building. NY was the capital of tall buildings during the turn of the century. With the Petronas Towers in KL and that new one somewhere else in Asia the US seemed to be lagging behind. The building to take its place stands 1776 ft, 541m for you metric guys (as in 1776 the year the Declaration of Independance was signed). I was just curious as to what the international community might think of it?
freedom_f.jpg

I think it's great that the US is rising from the ashes. but Canada still owns the world's tallest free-standing structure (CN Tower in Toronto), and I think the new one is in Malasia that you were talking about.

Trevor said:
I think it's great that the US is rising from the ashes. but Canada still owns the world's tallest free-standing structure (CN Tower in Toronto), and I think the new one is in Malasia that you were talking about.
Right, the Petronas Towers are in Kuala Lumpur (KL), Malaysia. You're right about the CN tower being the tallest freestanding structure. I think that out does the Freedom Tower by <100ft though.
Petronas Towers
46.jpg

47.jpg

Stupid name, but I respect the Americans for giving the terrorists the middle finger by buliding it taller the the WTC.

Didn't Taiwan have the tallest building in the world for a short while?

There you go, that's where it was. The Taipei Tower in Taiwan will hold the record as the world's tallest building after it's completion. Then after the Freedom Tower is complete it will take the record. I was trying to remember what country that was in.

pimp_squeak said:
maybe they could build in some kind of AA guns/.missiles to prevent any other events like 9/11 from happening again
shooting a plane with something is fine, but the annoying thing is that it still maintains its momentum, its trajectory starts to drop as the power supplied to the engines is no longer sustained.
while yes it may seem like a good idea, it actually wouldn't be that effective, best to stop them getting on board in the first place

pimp_squeak said:
maybe they could build in some kind of AA guns/.missiles to prevent any other events like 9/11 from happening again
i don't see this conversation getting very far, but i'd like to add that shooting a plane down over a city would be just as bad as a plane crashing into the building. probably the same amount of deaths the only difference being the intended target wasn't hit. either way terrorist scores a point. but while we're at it we should make a big ole donut shaped building so the next time the plane will just fly through it. better yet it rotates so it'll make their job even harder.

I do get a laugh out of the fact we just had 2 of the worlds tallest buildings knocked down so we do the smart thing...build something that is even bigger.

I think it will be cool when it is done and it has alot of symbloic meanings, like I once heard thier would be no shadown during like a certian time...

Darcia said:
I do get a laugh out of the fact we just had 2 of the worlds tallest buildings knocked down so we do the smart thing...build something that is even bigger.

ah, yes. bigger, but this time only ONE tower. so maybe we did learn something. ;)

Yeap.....wqe did learn something...We figured up it is cheaper to find out what happned on 1 aircraft than two so we made it so if they try to do it agian they only have to go after 1 aircraft...we learned evern terrorist need life a little easir.

However isn't this tower going to have the problems the WTC had solved on the way it was built?

Back