Free Speech on this forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cold Steel

Being a noob here, I have noticed that the mods and admins have set a certain tone for what is posted here. I have no problem with creating a spam free zone for military related matters. But your moderation here is overbearing. I had a post deleted because a mod was mad at a noob. No explanation was given, just deleted. Perhaps the administration at this board feels that noobs have nothing to offer. If that is the case, you need to post that with your other forum rules. Maybe post a rule that says don't offer an opinion unless you have 100 posts rule.

There is a way to offer free expression on a board while at the same time creating a spam free environment. In my opinion this board's admins and moderators have not achieved that balance.

Feel free to delete this free expression, like you deleted my answer to a noob post.

Cold Steel said:
There is a way to offer free expression on a board while at the same time creating a spam free environment. In my opinion this board's admins and moderators have not achieved that balance.

Feel free to delete this free expression, like you deleted my answer to a noob post.

WOW, I'm a newb here as well. My first actually post. I'm reading threads from the top down.... I certianly hope this is some fluke and not the norm for this forum.
Looks like a neat place.

:2guns:

Gee...

Over-reacting a bit, Cold Steel? It's not like this is YOUR forum. It's the f u c k i n g internet. f u c k i n g get over it.

I wasn't speaking to you. I was wanting the admins and mods to speak their minds on this topic. Of course I realize, "Its the ****ing internet"

But this is bigger than that. Before young men and women join up with a force that can get them killed, they need to listen to more reasonable minds than just this Gung Ho bullshit.

Posts get deleted if they are either being totally off topic, flame bait, contain opsec information or that kind of writing that violates the forum rules.

PM the moderator and ask, you will get an answer.

Cold Steel said:
Being a noob here, I have noticed that the mods and admins have set a certain tone for what is posted here. I have no problem with creating a spam free zone for military related matters. But your moderation here is overbearing. I had a post deleted because a mod was mad at a noob. No explanation was given, just deleted. Perhaps the administration at this board feels that noobs have nothing to offer. If that is the case, you need to post that with your other forum rules. Maybe post a rule that says don't offer an opinion unless you have 100 posts rule.

The only way you can post on here without fear of retribution by the Mods is to originate or respond to a post beginning with , What is your favourite.......? I was banned for suggesting that maybe the Mods would prefer that I stick to that sort of subject and not criticise the intelligence services..especially if they are based within the USA. :smile:

Weshwarrior said:

The only way you can post on here without fear of retribution by the Mods is to originate or respond to a post beginning with , What is your favourite.......? I was banned for suggesting that maybe the Mods would prefer that I stick to that sort of subject and not criticise the intelligence services..especially if they are based within the USA.

That is the exact climate that I feel onthis board. I have a range of experience that I can offer a person considering entering the U. S. Army Infantry as an officer, because I have been there and done that. But evidently, because I'm not a mod, I can't speak my mind without getting my posts deleted. Good job mod. You probably convinced the noob who posted "Ranger Officer" to never join the Armed Forces.

Oh, stop bitching...you agree to the terms of service. Follow them, your posts stay. If you don't follow the terms, don't whine when your post gets deleted. Now suck it up.

c/Commander said:
Oh, stop bitching...you agree to the terms of service. Follow them, your posts stay. If you don't follow the terms, don't whine when your post gets deleted. Now suck it up.
I am impressed with your qualifications but not your English. I assume that Now suck it up is a derogatory phrase?

CShineboy said:

Oh, stop bitching...you agree to the terms of service. Follow them, your posts stay. If you don't follow the terms, don't whine when your post gets deleted. Now suck it up

I've read the TOS. Nothing in there about deleting someones posts because you were mad at someone else. Of course if the mod in question would apoligize, this would all be over and done with

If one would stop fighting and try to understand each other, we can reach a more cheerful result..

The way I see it, is just to try to live with it.. and forget it even happened. Like that, there is a greater chance to get along :)

Cold Steel said:
I've read the TOS. Nothing in there about deleting someones posts because you were mad at someone else. Of course if the mod in question would apoligize, this would all be over and done with
Tell you what, in very general terms, what sort of post was deleted?

The moderation level on this forum is actually superb IMHO, but this is because I've seen plenty of unmoderated forums that are an almost nonstop Flamewar. There are a number of rules that are based upon content. Case in point, because of endless and irreconcilable arguements, Taiwan, Tibet and Tiannamen Square related discussion has been prohibitted. Country vs Country "who would win" scenarios are as well. Much of this is primarily preventative flamewar control, so if you say something insulting, you might get it deleted and you might get banned for it.

This forum wasn't created to please everyone, that's just not possible.

We didn't have many rules when we started, but past experiences have forced us to add most of the rules we have here now.

No posts have or will be deleted because if it's content or your opinions, as long as it follows the (simple) rules we let them stay.
99% of the times we delete posts it's because of innapropriate choice of words, flaming, attempting to start flame wars, coutry and/or member bashing, highly off-topic etc..
And most of the times (unless it's really obvious why we've deleted it) we do leave a comment or PM the member(s) when we delete posts/threads.

I haven't forced anyone to register or post here by the way, so it's your own choice if you want to stay and post here or not.
But I do listen to suggestions all the time, so feel free to post here if you have any comments and/or other suggestion.

I can't really say that I understand what "Gung Ho bullshit" you're talking about Cold Steel?

And yes, I've deleted several (highly) off topic posts from this thread now..

You better ratchet down, Cold Steel. I am not aware of any one deleting any of your posts as I have said to you in your vague and accusatory PM.

For someone claiming to have been an infantry officer, you don't seem to have very much situational awareness.

I suggest you check yourself, and check it fast.

As another new member here, I detect some hate in this thread. I think we should save the hate for the bad guys, not each other.

Welshwarrior said:
I am impressed with your qualifications but not your English. I assume that Now suck it up is a derogatory phrase?

Not really...it's more along the line's of "pull yourself together", "get it together", etc. My English is perfectly fine.

Oh, by the way, Cold Steel, you misquoted my name, against the forum rules that you don't agree with.

Last edited:
Although, not so much on this forum, as of yet mind you!

I left as a member of "the other forum" due to the very reason you are complaining.

If what you expereinced happened to me I'd probably leave this forum as well but, given the replies here, vs the replies at the former, those here are much nicer.

To the member here who said, "do you really want me to reply", umm, yes he would like you to reply. Why do you think he even posted this thread in the first place?

"Mods" should only have the ability to delete threads or comments if they violate local, federal or international laws. For one to simply remove an entire thread or comment simply because they found themselves offended is WRONG in my opinion and should not be tolerated!

With all due respect to everyone here!

John
http://johnanderson75.blogspot.com

godofthunder9010 said:
Tell you what, in very general terms, what sort of post was deleted?

The moderation level on this forum is actually superb IMHO, but this is because I've seen plenty of unmoderated forums that are an almost nonstop Flamewar. There are a number of rules that are based upon content. Case in point, because of endless and irreconcilable arguements, Taiwan, Tibet and Tiannamen Square related discussion has been prohibitted. Country vs Country "who would win" scenarios are as well. Much of this is primarily preventative flamewar control, so if you say something insulting, you might get it deleted and you might get banned for it.

What matters is that everyone gets thier fair chance to voice their opinion. If the admin is worried about their "bandwidth" on a particular server, a sub forum should be set up where flames are deleted after a 24 hour perioud of their submittal.

To simply delete or ban a member because of a different and yet a possible hateful attitude just isn't right. Simply delete these comments after 24 hours if they do not violate any laws. If a law is violated then yes, by all means ban the member for life.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been on a lot of boards. This one is one of the better ones and the Mods do a great job. Healthy debate is fine and encouraged. If you don't like it, leave... start your own board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back