Freaking IDIOTS almost killed my wife

wolfen

OK here the scenario, my wife has a 2001 Jeep Wrangler 2.5 no A/C amfmcd atuo runs good for a used vehicle with 70k on it.

Heres what pissed me off, a few days ago I was checking the brake fluid level, I noticed it was a bit low, so I added brake fluid, the next day I checked the level again (I get VERY **** about brakes) and again the level is low, I start checking for a leak in the calipers or wheel cylinders, no leaks, which means only one thing the rear seal in the master cylinder is leaking into the vacuum booster, so what do I do? I pay $102.95 for a brand new brake master cylinder with a reservoir attached, and install it, wife is happy I'm happy brakes are bled everything is fine, until today theres no dam brakes at all on the jeep, I fill the reservoir again bleed the brakes again and after 5 minutes of test driving there are no brakes again, I take off the master cylinder and now the vacuum booster is full of brake fluid from a brand new master cylinder leaking from the rear seal, so what do I do I disassemble the master cylinder and immediately call the auto parts store for another, the main seal on the shaft coming out of the back of the unit is installed BACKWARDS! If my wife had driven to work tomorrow she would have been killed in a car wreck due to a lack of brakes, now along with another new master cylinder I have to but a vacuum booster due to brake fluid disintegrating the diaphragm inside the vacuum booster, I emailed the company and informed them that if I receive another defective master cylinder I Will sue them for money and time away from work that I have to take tomorrow to repair this Jeep.

Imagine a person installing a seal backwards, imagine a person installing a whole bunch of seals backwards ona whole lot of parts!

I have 0 tollerence for dumb asses, and the man who built this part is a dumb ass, who could be responsible for somones death or serious injury.

Are you sure the part was built by a person? I mean I agree, that's a ridiculous flaw to not spot something like that, but it COULD have been a manufacturing machine's problem.

Are you sure the part was built by a person? I mean I agree, that's a ridiculous flaw to not spot something like that, but it COULD have been a manufacturing machine's problem.
No it couldn't ...
The seal is put in place by a human, who then presses the "double" safety switches (that keep your hands clear of the assembly), which cause the machine to press the seal into place. It is NOT an automated process ... and the master cylinders are usually made by a contractor and then shipped to the automaker for installation on the main assembly line.

If Wolfen can prove that there were a slew of master cylinders with seals incorrectly installed, then he has a good case for a lawsuit. If it is just an isolated incident, then he may not.

Oh, wow. It's a good thing that you caught it before your wife drive it to work.

Contrary to popular belief and what is on TV, most auto parts are made by machines, but ALL are assembled by real people, theres no way a computer can assemble a brake master cylinder, I've been working on cars and machines since I was 14 and I'm not allowed to rebuild a brake master cylinder because back in the '80's some jackass put a seal in backwards and hit a school bus, but now in 2009 some stupid ass in a factory can go to work on drugs and put seals in backwards and thats ok? Yea I'm still mad as hell, I'll be mad as hell until the Jeep's brake system works to MY specifications.

No it couldn't ...
The seal is put in place by a human, who then presses the "double" safety switches (that keep your hands clear of the assembly), which cause the machine to press the seal into place. It is NOT an automated process ... and the master cylinders are usually made by a contractor and then shipped to the automaker for installation on the main assembly line.

If Wolfen can prove that there were a slew of master cylinders with seals incorrectly installed, then he has a good case for a lawsuit. If it is just an isolated incident, then he may not.

Chief we'll find out when I hook up the next one, if it leaks I do further investigation, if it doesn't I sionply have my lawyer contact them and recover my $98 for the vacuum booster that has to be replaced because of their screw up.

One of the mail peoblrms in this country is not many people take pride in their work anymore.

No it couldn't ...

*puts hands up* Okay, okay... Jesus.....

Ok heres the latest and greatest, do NOT EVER BUY PRODUCTS MANUFACTURED BY CAR DONE!!!!!!

I got the vacuum booster and master cylinder at 0800 EST, took the day off the booster is made by Bendix, the same company made the master cylinder, this one leaked internally just like the original I was replacing, I took it back and got a refund, went to NAPA and purchased one that was on the shelf, complete, manufactured by United Brake Parts, at 1700 I put the hood down with the new vacuum booster and master cylinder and op checked it on the road, so far so good, everything works 4.0

I'm glad you got it fixed before anyone got hurt. Are you still thinking about a lawsuit or just going to let it go? At the very least, they'd be getting a VERY nasty letter from me. ;)

My lawyer basically told them they have two choices, refund teh money I paid for a vacuum booster plus labor or we go to court.

Back in1997 I bought a brand new Hi-Lux 4x4 pickup truck.

A few months later I took the wife and kids on a safari into Namibia, Botswana and Zimbabwe. I was paranoid about checking over the truck because a break down in the middle of the desert can be deadly. I found that one of the brake lines was rubbing on the steering column. Thankfully the brake line hadnt worn through, using cable ties I secured the pipe away from the steering column.

When I got back home, I went back to the main dealer and complained. They fitted a new brake line no problem, and when I asked why wasn't this picked up on the pre delivery inspection. I was told that all the PDI's are done by a contracted company. I suggested they find another company to do the PDI's or do the work themselves, if that pipe had worn through while going over some of the serious mountain passes, my whole family could have been killed.

I don't have that particular problem because I've been working on different vehicles since year 10, but I totally agree that car dealer really needs to change companies with quickness before they kill somebody

Many years ago, I drove London double decker buses in the middle of London. One of our drivers had total brake failure and hit a car. The bus was tested by the fitters and found the brakes to be working, the driver was heavily fined for “Driving without due care and attention.” Many drivers of that particular bus complained that the brakes worked OK, then all of a sudden, nothing. Yet the fitters cleared the bus for use.

One day a driver was driving this particular bus along Oxford Street with a full load of passengers, when a woman walked out in front of him, he hit the brakes, nothing, he ran over and killed the woman. To cut a long story short, the police took the bus for various tests, and found that in one of the air tanks there was a flake of paint, the flake of paint would float around in the air tank and on occasions block the air outlet pipe.

The driver who was fined managed to get the charge of driving without due care and attention expunged from his record and his fine was refunded after a long fight.

Last edited:
Back