fraternity & sorority life

How do you feel about Greek life in college?

• Where do I sign up?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am Greek

• I am impartial

• I am not too keen about them

• Never in my life would I join

• Total voters

Duty Honor Country

I forgot how annoying the first 3 weeks of college can really be. The the Greeks are lobbying for new members into their institutions of paid friends, mandatory fun and crazy parties.

Since you can tell I am noy crazy about the greeks, how do you feel about them?

I was a member of two fraternities. An honors one and your standard Greek fraternity. The first really doesn't apply to your topic so I'll leave that for now. My frat brothers were a great bunch and though pledge days were insane it did get much, much better and has done me alot of good in the many years since. One of my frat brothers was a young man from Ohio you may have heard of, Larry Csonka.

Life is about connections. Fraternities are a good way of making connections that will surprise you in what they can do for you as the years go by.

Being some years older than most pledges, Doody, I can guess why you're ill at ease about it. Checkout the different houses and if you see one that seems likely, give it a go. Can't hurt to try. Yes, there are lousy frat houses aplenty. You'll be able to figure out what's what I'm sure.

And if nothing else, there's always the military fraternity that many ROTC colleges have among their number - the Pershing Rifles.

As Charge said, connections are one of the things that you will gain from college life. Fraternities, of which I never participated in, can be a very good way to make connections. Besides that there are others, in addition to Pershing Rifles, there is Scabbard & Blade, another military society which I belonged to during my college days, as well as many other "career related" groups such as the Society of American Military Engineers, etc. As Charge said take a good look at all, Greek & others, and join whichever group suits your likes and needs. Good luck.

I would kick my own ass if i ever joined a frat. Im in my 3rd year of college and all those people do is piss me of. Im just not into the whole pink shirts and coller fliped up stuff. lol

Ryan17 said:
I would kick my own ass if i ever joined a frat. Im in my 3rd year of college and all those people do is piss me of. Im just not into the whole pink shirts and coller fliped up stuff. lol

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!

REAL MEN DONT WEAR PINK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmm, we have nothing at all like that in Australia. I just don't understand it. It seems to be such a unique American culture.

AussieNick said:
Hmmm, we have nothing at all like that in Australia. I just don't understand it. It seems to be such a unique American culture.

Your not missing out on anything.. lol

Aye we dont have them heard in Ireland either, but meet a few frat boys during summer when I was in the us...lets just say I'd rather not have meet them.What happened to good olde fashioned manners huh?! :p

Don't know much about College Fraternities. We don't have them here in Australia, except maybe for certain areas at cricket matches. But I do like John Belushi (RIP) from Blues Bros. and Animal House.

i think we dont have them becuase we dont have the whole "university town" thing going on.
there are unis, but its not like all the students live really really close to them (other than halls of residence)
i have a mate who lives in belguim, in Leuven (?) and he said most of the residents there are students, its not like that here.

apart from the pink polos, i rekon it would be fun to try the whole frat thing

Back