Frances radical overhaul

rock45

It seems Frances government is doing something that needed to do years ago and the failed Morocco sale help. I knew this jet was too good not to get buyers a change was needed. It was three loses to the United States in South Korea, Singapore and now Morocco.

French President Nicolas Sarkozy on a three-day trip to Morocco. The visit yielded rail, frigate and energy deals for France but not the sale of 18 Rafale fighters that Paris had wanted.

Full story
http://africa.reuters.com/wire/news/usnL24335189.html

"You win some you lose some". In fairness the USA F-16 Package was the better deal. You cannot blame him for trying though...

South Korea

In all fairness France never really had a chance with South Korea there are and always have been an American shop. If I were in charge of the Rafale program I would have really focus on my Mirage 2000 customers. Go the upgrade route and show what a better aircraft it is etc. Maybe a trade up package just to get aircraft out the door? I think there might be a slim chance that with a AESA radar and maybe a little more range add to the MICA that Greece might be interested. Its a good mix with there current French equipment and still rated slightly better then Turkey's F-16s plus it's more duel purpose. Greece has been a French shop for a long time but a little give and take is going to be needed because Greece just basically had a batch of there 2000's upgraded about two years ago.

On the flip side
To give credit where it's do and show what a fine aircraft it was and still is, you'll never hear about air force reselling Mirage 2000 or 2000-5 models? The jet just keeps going on and on and for France,Brazil's looking to add more frames for the right price. Maybe eat some loses on the returned 2000s from Greece and unloaded on Brazil but at least your pushing out the new models for all to see? It's just the way my mind thinks.

Back