France Opens First Military Bases in the Gulf

BelleEpoque

PARIS — President Nicolas Sarkozy opened France’s first military facilities in the Gulf on Tuesday, deepening the government’s alliance with the United Arab Emirates and highlighting its shifting foreign policy priorities.
Mr. Sarkozy attended a ceremony to open French naval, air and army facilities in Abu Dhabi. The bases are the first permanent French military installations to be built outside of French territory since the process of decolonization began more than half a century ago.

The Gulf is of geopolitical importance both because of its gas and oil resources and because of its proximity to Iran. Abu Dhabi sits just 225 kilometers, or 140 miles, directly across the Gulf from Iran.
“The permanent French military installation in Abu Dhabi shows the responsibility that France, as a global power, agrees to assume with its closest partners, in a region that is a fault line for the whole world,” Mr. Sarkozy said in the text of a speech delivered in the Emirate.

The new military presence comprises a French facility at the Emirate’s Al Dhafra air base, which can accommodate Mirage and Rafale jets; a naval base of eight hectares, or about 20 acres, at the port of Mina Zayed, which can handle any French naval vessels except aircraft carriers, though these can berth in a nearby port; and an army camp at Zayed, specializing in urban combat training. There are also intelligence-gathering facilities.
Eventually, about 500 French military personnel will be permanently stationed at the sites. France’s main military base serving the Gulf region is in Djibouti, a former colony on the mouth of the Red Sea, which serves as a hub for its operations against pirates. Mr. Sarkozy said the new facilities would not affect the French presence in Djibouti.

France signaled a strategic policy shift last summer with a government “White Paper,” which sought to better prepare the country for a world in which conventional military threats are being replaced by a multitude of complex, global risks. The paper also identified a strategic geographical axis of priorities from the Atlantic to the Indian Ocean.This was a rejection of the policies set under former President Charles de Gaulle, which stressed the independence of French foreign policy.
Under Mr. Sarkozy, France has rejoined the military command of NATO, has sent troops to Afghanistan and has joined the international effort at protecting vital shipping lanes in the Gulf.

“This initiative continues a longstanding cooperation between France and the Emirate, while also allowing France to extend its reach in a very strategic region,” said Denis Bauchard, a senior fellow at the French Institute of International Relations in Paris.

The former presidents François Mitterrand and Jacques Chirac deepened cooperation with Abu Dhabi through arms sales. Paris and Abu Dhabi also signed bilateral defense accords in 1991 and 1995, which were updated Tuesday.

Mr. Sarkozy also hopes that his trip will help secure the sale of Dassault Rafale jet fighters to replace Mirage 2000s in the Emirates Air Force, as well as satellite equipment and a civilian nuclear contract. France has been unable to sell the Rafale abroad, due in part to fierce international competition, especially from Lockheed Martin’s F-16 Falcon.
The new French facilities were originally agreed upon in mid-2007 after an approach by the Emirate. The project has been managed by the Élysée Palace. Abu Dhabi, the wealthiest and most influential of the Emirates, paid for the installations.

The United States remains the major foreign military presence in the Gulf with strategic air bases, logistics operations and the headquarters of the 5th Fleet in Bahrain.
The agreement with France represents an insurance policy while the United States scales back in the region as the conflict in Iraq winds down, analysts said.

Last week, Tehran said that it had successfully tested a “Sajil” missile, a surface-to-surface weapon with a range of 2,000 kilometers. The reported launching followed efforts by the Obama administration to seek a new relationship with Tehran to forestall a nuclear program that Western countries allege is designed to build a nuclear bomb.
Separately, Mr. Sarkozy also used the two-day trip to press for talks between oil producers and consumers to find “a satisfactory level” for crude to avoid the “erratic movements” of prices seen last year. Such talks could cover stocks, transport, technology, the organization of markets and speculation.

Mr. Sarkozy said he planned to propose a mechanism at a summit of the Group of 8 leaders in Italy in July.
“Why don’t we agree, producer countries and consumers, on general price guidelines to give to the market, I would say even a price range which would guarantee investments over the long term but which would not overwhelm consumer economies,” he said during the speech.
His trip also included a visit to the future site of a branch of the Louvre Museum in the Emirate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/27/world/europe/27france.html

I swear, the new France under Sarkozy is something that France, Europe and perhaps the world really needed. Under his leadership, it really looks like a different country.

I swear, the new France under Sarkozy is something that France, Europe and perhaps the world really needed. Under his leadership, it really looks like a different country.
I agree 13th. And IMO, Germany's Angela Merkel has also been very good for that country. Even though they both oppose Turkey's EU accession, I respect them greatly for being true, standfast, straighforward politicians who mean business for their respective countries.

The French have been doing excellent anti-terrorist work for the last 20 years both in terms of domestic and foreign matters and have a wealth of experience in the field, I really don't think that you can attribute it all to Sarkozy.

Europe needs more leaders like these two...

10322_merkel_sarkozy_afp_174908a.jpg

Good to see France doing something that they should done if the decolonization wasn't exist....

The French have been doing excellent anti-terrorist work for the last 20 years both in terms of domestic and foreign matters and have a wealth of experience in the field, I really don't think that you can attribute it all to Sarkozy.

Actually I was referring to their ability to work with the rest of the world.

I read on the news that this base will have 500 soldiers and 3-4 Rafaels... Now I don't know what Sarkozy has been on but how is such a force suppose 2 be deterrent? Seriously all this is is flag waving. Iran is not threatening UAE or anyone but if war was to break out this in no way what so ever is going even stop a 4-5 platoons of IRGC troops, and most of those 500 soldiers are not even combat soldiers but technicians and such.

I seriously don't understand how this enhances UAE safety in anyway what so ever, it actually makes them more of a target if war breaks out and they are seen as cooperating with the West. I really miss Charles DeGaule, Sarkozy is making mockery of French foreign policy that has been set since DeGaule and has earned respect to France throughout the world in comparison to even their neighbors the English. He has destroyed French non-alignment, may God help France from Sarkozy before he makes France a lap dog like Blair made the British Bulldog a lap dog.

_40151730_flag203.jpg

"There is no safety in unlimited technological hubris" (McGeorge Bundy)

When the logistics have been handled the reinforcing of a base is a matter of hours instead of building one from the ground up..

Sarkosy is a traditional realist, doing what he has to do to maintain diplomatic and strategic placement throughout the middle east. This new military installment is a good move away from appeasement for colonial sins.

Those Rafale's were passing through from A-Stan on there way to to France and stopped over. I wouldn't look for a long stay don't think the logic's are there yet to support long term deployment, they could be flown in.

France is going to have a major problem eating those Mirage 2000-9s period. I also heard the UAE wants the F3 and more so basically it will be a better version then the French have. That means more R&D money needed for only 60 aircraft order that Frances own Air Force can't afford. On top of that finding a home for the Mirage 2000-9s which the UAE are demanding top dollar for because the French told them the Mirage 2000-9 are so good, via France.
icon10.gif

Some of the Mirage 2000-5/9's are not new builds but are built off of upgraded former French models, makes it a little harder to sell them.
icon12.gif

I read on the news that this base will have 500 soldiers and 3-4 Rafaels... Now I don't know what Sarkozy has been on but how is such a force suppose 2 be deterrent? Seriously all this is is flag waving. Iran is not threatening UAE or anyone but if war was to break out this in no way what so ever is going even stop a 4-5 platoons of IRGC troops, and most of those 500 soldiers are not even combat soldiers but technicians and such.

I seriously don't understand how this enhances UAE safety in anyway what so ever, it actually makes them more of a target if war breaks out and they are seen as cooperating with the West. I really miss Charles DeGaule, Sarkozy is making mockery of French foreign policy that has been set since DeGaule and has earned respect to France throughout the world in comparison to even their neighbors the English. He has destroyed French non-alignment, may God help France from Sarkozy before he makes France a lap dog like Blair made the British Bulldog a lap dog.

In case you missed it in the process of all your pontificating and rhetoric, France has recommitted to NATO. A'stan is a NATO op, France has done what they think best and what they see as supportting peace and security in the region. I'm sure that alot of thought went into the decision to deploy, and good was weighed with bad. I'm also pretty sure that France is not at the feet of the US. France doesn't play that game.

As far as the British Bulldog, that dog can still bite and I'd advise you against further insults towards the UK , just because their previous policies fly in the face of your chest thumping view of the world.

In case you missed it in the process of all your pontificating and rhetoric, France has recommitted to NATO. A'stan is a NATO op, France has done what they think best and what they see as supportting peace and security in the region. I'm sure that alot of thought went into the decision to deploy, and good was weighed with bad. I'm also pretty sure that France is not at the feet of the US. France doesn't play that game.

As far as the British Bulldog, that dog can still bite and I'd advise you against further insults towards the UK , just because their previous policies fly in the face of your chest thumping view of the world.

First of all I am not insulting UK, I only stated a phrase "lap dog" that has been repeated on the news many times when Blair was in power that I felt summed up how much Blair made Britain subservient to the United States.

Also tell me how this base enhances UAE security and how it any way, shape or form bolsters French security or deterence. This base has 500 soldiers which most of the are not even combat troops, what significant assets will this base have to even matter in the defense policies of the Persian Gulf.

Also yes France has always been part of NATO but they have always pursued their own foreign policies since Charles DeGaulle that served French interests first and foremost. Ever since after colonizlism the French have become respect for their even handedness towards the Middle East conflict, they have been seen as impartial for not kowtowing the American foreign policy. France has been more secure before Sarkozy than after Sarkozy, France is now seen as being imperialistically resurgent since Sarkozy took over.

Chirac impartiality in the horrible Iraq war has earned respect to France all around the world from the West to the East. Now Sarkozy is here poking Iran with a stick and wants to drag France into a future Middle East war by establishing a base in the UAE that in no way enhances the security of neither country.

_40151730_flag203.jpg

I said regional security, there is a difference between that an the security of the UAE. France has made that decision and they have made it I'm sure with great deliberation.

See you don't agree with it because you see it as an Islam vs the west issue.

Poking Iran with a stick. Right. Like Iran hasn't been intensely poking the west and the UN with a stick for decades.

I said regional security, there is a difference between that an the security of the UAE. France has made that decision and they have made it I'm sure with great deliberation.

See you don't agree with it because you see it as an Islam vs the west issue.

Poking Iran with a stick. Right. Like Iran hasn't been intensely poking the west and the UN with a stick for decades.

Ok lets talk about regional security, how does this base in any shape or form enhance the security of the region? How does it raise or bolster French deterence?

No I don't agree with it not because I see it as an Islam vs West, I believe the West and Islam can live in peace, but I see it a another Western provocation in a already tense and boiling region that does not need more bases being introduced nor needs more internal meddling. This is a historically known fact, and goes decades before even terrorism became an issue to the West, the West has meddled in Middle East for their own gains and profits before terrorism became an issue.

They have overthrown the democratically elected Prime Minister of Iran Mossadeq, they have bolstered the Shah against the wishes of the Iranian people. They have trained the brutal Savak the Shah's secrete police to surpress the Iranian people. They have armed Saddam and bolstered him, they trained and fueled the same people they are today fighting against in Afghanistan, they have engineered coups or attempetd coups from Lebanon, to Syria, to Egypt, Iraq, to Iran, to Yemen, to Libya, to Sudan, to Afghanistan. Now if history serves me correct, the West has stirred, meddled, and messed with the Middle East before terrorism became what it is known as today.

So tell me how you can honestly say the West is innocent and only defending itself when history proves otherwise.

_40151730_flag203.jpg

Did I freakin ever imply the west was innocent? No I don't think I did. Regardless of the history the fact remains that there are goverments in the middle east Iran being the primary culprit that have/are providing terrorist with safe haven, funds, and training. And seek to export terror and control the region. They also make no bones about being Jihadist. Defend them all you like, they are a danger. Deny the fact that you support them and any other country that spouts off against the west. We both know what your motovation is it's become more than apparent.

Did I freakin ever imply the west was innocent? No I don't think I did. Regardless of the history the fact remains that there are goverments in the middle east Iran being the primary culprit that have/are providing terrorist with safe haven, funds, and training. And seek to export terror and control the region. They also make no bones about being Jihadist. Defend them all you like, they are a danger. Deny the fact that you support them and any other country that spouts off against the west. We both know what your motovation is it's become more than apparent.

Listen you don't know anything about me just like I don't know anything about you; therefore, lets maintain civility here and not spark of personal attacks. I support any country Western or not that maintains neutrality, impartiality and that does not meddle in the internal affairs of others. I have been a big advocate of Swiss neutrality and how such countries as Sweden, Norway, Finland, Austria, etc have always tried to not meddle in others' affairs. I actually am very fond of the West I just wish they can just keep their hands of other countries internal affairs and let those countries be. I am a big advocate of live and let live. So I don't care what has become apparent to you, everyone knows about my posts and how I have never attacked, condone, or sponsored any ill towards any specific country or people.

Also you have failed to answer how this base in any shape or form enhance the security of the region? How does it raise or bolster French deterence?

_40151730_flag203.jpg

The Gulf is of geopolitical importance both because of its gas and oil resources and because of its proximity to Iran. Abu Dhabi sits just 225 kilometers, or 140 miles, directly across the Gulf from Iran.
“The permanent French military installation in Abu Dhabi shows the responsibility that France, as a global power, agrees to assume with its closest partners, in a region that is a fault line for the whole world,” Mr. Sarkozy said in the text of a speech delivered in the Emirate.

Under Mr. Sarkozy, France has rejoined the military command of NATO, has sent troops to Afghanistan and has joined the international effort at protecting vital shipping lanes in the Gulf.

“This initiative continues a longstanding cooperation between France and the Emirate, while also allowing France to extend its reach in a very strategic region,” said Denis Bauchard, a senior fellow at the French Institute of International Relations in Paris.

The former presidents François Mitterrand and Jacques Chirac deepened cooperation with Abu Dhabi through arms sales. Paris and Abu Dhabi also signed bilateral defense accords in 1991 and 1995, which were updated Tuesday.

The new French facilities were originally agreed upon in mid-2007 after an approach by the Emirate. The project has been managed by the Élysée Palace. Abu Dhabi, the wealthiest and most influential of the Emirates, paid for the installations.

The agreement with France represents an insurance policy while the United States scales back in the region as the conflict in Iraq winds down, analysts said.

Last week, Tehran said that it had successfully tested a “Sajil” missile, a surface-to-surface weapon with a range of 2,000 kilometers. The reported launching followed efforts by the Obama administration to seek a new relationship with Tehran to forestall a nuclear program that Western countries allege is designed to build a nuclear bomb.

Read those portions and you will understand why it ehances security.

Back