Fragmented Fighting Facts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Preface;
Fragmented Fighting Facts or Tri-F. T/ name is do 2 t/spell checker function always alerting me 2 t/fragmented nature of my sentences. This is do 2 t/“just t/facts mama”, manor t/martial is written. T/note taking began abt 30 yrs ago, w/a list of rules within a bk covering t/Fr & Indian wars, entitled Roger’s Rangers. I never read t/bk just that page. It is amazing how 1 that did not learn 2 read until age 17 has not only found t/rt materials but t/sentences now rules within t/reams of info we r all exposed 2, & also how natural t/organization of it came to me. T/format starts w/planning then we move 2 Def do 2 fact u need 2b somewhere secure b4 conducting ops, then its on 2 Prep & conduct of patrols, then Conduct of engagements my term 4 fire fights.
Three golden rules
1) There will b x 4 exceptions 2 t/rules. Due 2 circumstances. 2) Avoid setting patterns. From x 2 x u should operate n an unorthodox as apposed 2 orthodox manner. Make a habit of considering if not choosing alternatives 2 unfolding situations. 3) Think like t/Foe. 4 instance, consider offensive knowledge n t/defense 2 predict foe’s offensive plans.
PLANNING:
Note: All notes on Administration & logistics r missing, all other bases r covered. I have eliminated all repeat, red tape & BS n this section. U S likes 2 change his terms at each level of cmd & annually n a lot of cases. This keeps generations of US service men & women confused & bewildered. My pt here is that if t/US gov would STOP THAT! Then a warrior class could develop & mothers & fathers would pass t/knowledge on 2 their children. & IMO conflicts would come down 2 who was n t/right.

I've tried to ask this. I find it hard to battle through, on top of which I am not familiar with US Army designations, so I have no chance.

AHOY, my apologies just a couple of more notes before we began. Basically this is a edited version of a 250 page document, the sections Def etc are made up of numbered rules fallowed by detailed notes that either explain rules relate to or give examples and sections end with overall tips page. G-day!

NO ONE WINS, THIS IS FORGOTTEN. WARS ARE EASY TO START, EXPENSIVE TO CONTINUE, DIFFICULT TO STOP. OFTEN BEGIN WHEN SOMEONE FEELS VICTORY IS ASSURED. THE FIGHT CONTINUES LARGELY BECAUSE OF NATIONAL AND PERSONAL PRIDE. WARS END WHEN ONE OR BOTH SIDES ARE DEVASTATED, DEMORALIZED OR RARELY SUDDENLY ENLIGHTEN BY THE ABSURDITY OF IT ALL.
James Dunnigan

NOTE- Planning this is a cyclic system. Steps 1-4 repeated at least three times in Planning and Preparing phases, during Execution phase, step #4 is replaced with 5&6. PHASES: Planning- basically its mental, brain storming. O’Neil’s law - Murphy was an optimist; no plan survives the first few minutes of battle. The important things are always simple the simple things always difficult. History has shown long periods of peace; create wide gaps between theory and reality of actual combat. Note on automated planning, Adm. and logistics, maintenance etc. Note just a idea; With maintenance computer diagrams, graphics, schematics, and images could be projected on to actual equipment, like a HUD system, using a helmet mounted system. Less need for traditional training of maintenance crews, or Medics. Preparing- reduced force, then full dress rehearsals, pre-positioning of equipment and troops. Start Psychological and decoy operations. Execution – implementation of the operation.

Edit Note bad news first, steps# 1 Gathering info,# 2 Commanders intent,# 3 Concept of operations, official copy consist of 37 pages (my goal for this copy 5 pg) of info, titled papers covering subjects such as (in step 1) Intel prep of the battle field, Psyops (psyops notes are located in planning do to fact papers deal w/understanding human nature of habits tactics etc to assist recon in gathering info), (in step 2) qualities of leadership, leadership guidelines, Maneuver vs. attrition, pro guerrilla & or insurgency ops, anti guerrilla/insurgency ops, etc. Good news steps 4 Rehearsals, 5 Execute, 6 Supervise; are covered in a world wind half page.
STEP: # 1 Gathering information:

Information to be gathered is listed in various U.S.A.L.U.T.E, R.W. Reports located & explained in step 3 Concept of operations. However the best way to answer this question is to consider everything listed in Tri-F. Other words if you need to know something to conduct your operations, then try to discover the adversaries counter part. Example the adversaries’ Commander’s intent. Info gathered on current & potential foes, to include current allies. Take away enemies recon & your on road to victory, deny him the ability to know your preparations, and you add to your odds of wining. Recon dose give ones intentions away. However knowledge cannot be gained from, ghost or spirits nor projected from haven. It most be gained from a trusted man on the ground, (a Marine). A sufficient amount of human intelligence can determine what is real/true or what is not. This is far more convincing than data form, electronic equipment, on aircraft or satellites. Which may appear much more precise and tangible but can mislead, fail to discriminate between real or diversionary data. Or information from spies that might be double or expendable/dead agents. Five types of spies explained next…

Edit Note bad news first, steps# 1 Gathering info,# 2 Commanders intent,# 3 Concept of operations, official copy consist of 37 pages (my goal for this copy 5 pg) of info, titled papers covering subjects such as (in step 1) Intel prep of the battle field, Psyops (psyops notes are located in planning do to fact papers deal w/understanding human nature of habits tactics etc to assist recon in gathering info), (in step 2) qualities of leadership, leadership guidelines, Maneuver vs. attrition, pro guerrilla & or insurgency ops, anti guerrilla/insurgency ops, etc. Good news steps 4 Rehearsals, 5 Execute, 6 Supervise; are covered in a world wind half page.
STEP: # 1 Gathering information:

Information to be gathered is listed in various U.S.A.L.U.T.E, R.W. Reports located & explained in step 3 Concept of operations. However the best way to answer this question is to consider everything listed in Tri-F. Other words if you need to know something to conduct your operations, then try to discover the adversaries counter part. Example the adversaries’ Commander’s intent. Info gathered on current & potential foes, to include current allies. Take away enemies recon & your on road to victory, deny him the ability to know your preparations, and you add to your odds of wining. Recon dose give ones intentions away. However knowledge cannot be gained from, ghost or spirits nor projected from haven. It most be gained from a trusted man on the ground, (a Marine). A sufficient amount of human intelligence can determine what is real/true or what is not. This is far more convincing than data form, electronic equipment, on aircraft or satellites. Which may appear much more precise and tangible but can mislead, fail to discriminate between real or diversionary data. Or information from spies that might be double or expendable/dead agents. Five types of spies explained next…

We got your quotes. And your conclusion is, in English ?............................

03USMC - Sorry my friend; I thought I would try to cut to the chase. A conclusion.

Last edited:
Five types of spies- Local from local area. Internal their people. Turned /double agent, foes spies working for us. These are most important seek them out. Make great offers. Must appear capable & reliable to their own. May be necessary to instruct & feed information to them. Dead spy /expendable used to spread false information to foe. Living spy survives LOL. No relationship closer than that with spies, no rewards grater. Can be expensive. Many females go into Intelligence work because they are bared form combat, the traditional road to promotion. With Intelligence work there are premiums on diligence, perception, attention to nuance and good communication skills. These are just the kind of traits females tend to have edge over males. And there is no premium on physical strength. POWs, informants are copious source of human intelligence. People are difficult to deal with & interpret, that is their intent or motivations. Cross checks on there info is difficult to verity. Nothing parishes faster then information. Lots of information is just contingency plans for possible operations. When playing the great game, you are exploiting the nature of the intelligence analyst. All is not what it appears to be. It is quite easy to create an illusion where none is intended. It’s often not just a mater of different analysts coming to different conclusions. Each intelligence organization represent/have different interest/requirements. Another problem, differences between cultures. Interpreting info or events differently. EX: US vs. Russia the two cultures don’t think alike, it’s a classic (OCEANIC VS CONTENINTAL) (NAVY VS ARMY) situation. Most analyst are never able to fully perceive the unique mind set of their opposite. Scattered individuals do posses the abilities. In most nations especially totalitarian, group mentality & party solidarity work against logical/correct interpretations. Highly advanced & open societies publish lots of written information like manuals. However equipment is better to test & analyze. Russia is at a disadvantage here due to more over seas sales. Next I.P.B. area studies & net assessments.

Looks like he is gathering his notes for a big conclusion. Let him the time guys and be supportive.

And let me give you an advice Newjarheaddead, add more space between your ideas... dont drop informations like a huge block.
People will have a hard time reading you this way... Jump a line from time to time.

Never forget that it's worth it, you will write your text only once, but there will be hundred of persons to read it...

But the approach is good and welcomed, you look like someone who is aware that the situation is complex and that there is many options available and that every one of these options have advantages and cons... And following the situation and your ressources Etc...

And the quote from James Dunnigan, is pretty interesting, thanks for sharing. If you have more...

A`HOY, Planning on addressing questions at end of ea section. Just abt there w/this 1. Tri-F is a wk n progress, it’s never been cmbt tested. I’m looking 4 constructive criticisms. If your board hang n there I have modified & used SALUTE reports n4 innovative ways doing away with t/need 4 acronyms like METT-T & t/rest. & what a format I came up w/4 a Patrol order explained n Prep & Conduct of patrols. There r some interesting new entries at my IMF CP. G-day!

Intelligence preparation of the battle field, I.P.B., Area studies, Net assessments:
Comparing of intelligence on two nations/groups to answer questions concerning mission and most likely victor. Receptiveness; determining if a particular group will respond favorably to a particular psyops task. Actual and possible behavior of group, before during and after ops. Vulnerabilities; possible reprisals for cooperation. Weaknesses of any kind that a competitor could exploit to reduce support or security of an Allie. Daily activities; routines when they sleep, get up, what and when they eat, where and how they get there food and water. Location of items connected with various aspects of life and ceremonies. Pay attention to not only obvious but subtle ways group demonstrates views, gestures, accepted ways of meeting. Who is lessoned to most often and under what conditions and circumstances, especially emergencies. Note out side help the particular needs, views of friends’, values, judging one another, accepted extremes. Diversity within groups is not uncommon. Separated segments living in isolation can be of radically different compositions biological, sociological customs, conflicting histories, religion, political and materiel needs. Criminals, trust is established on the bases of personal history, experiences, criminal acts/M.O., Customs, foods, up brings, neighborhoods and prisons, ethnicity, shared friends, forms of entertainment, recreation, dress habits, languages. Italian is as much a language of gestures and facial expressions. Groups should not be judged by your values. But based on groups social values and experiences, history.

Last edited:
A`HOY, Planning on addressing questions at end of ea section. Just abt there w/this 1. Tri-F is a wk n progress, it’s never been cmbt tested. I’m looking 4 constructive criticisms. If your board hang n there I have modified & used SALUTE reports n4 innovative ways doing away with t/need 4 acronyms like METT-T & t/rest. & what a format I came up w/4 a Patrol order explained n Prep & Conduct of patrols. There r some interesting new entries at my IMF CP. G-day!

Intelligence preparation of the battle field, I.P.B., Area studies, Net assessments:
Italian is as much a language of gestures and facial expressions. Groups should not be judged by your values. But based on groups social values and experiences, history.

You are regurgetating out of a WWII theater specific manuel. In this case one from the Italian theater.......now aren't you? Fess up. Do you have an original idea or would that and a glass of ice water kill you stone dead?

Psychological Operations:
With psychological operations the exact out come is always unpredictable. You can manipulate ones mind like a puppet on a day to day bases. However in the end the ultimate reaction is unpredictable. “Ultimately it dose not mater in the lease what one thinks, only what line of action taken that effects the situation”. Therefore, I believe psyops should only be used in a defensive mode. These notes are merely to make one aware of the tactics used by others. A good rule of thumb is: once is happen chance, twice coincidence, three times is enemy activity. It is the nature of war that what is beneficial to you is detrimental to the enemy and what is of service to them hurts you. There for never do or omit doing anything as a consequence to others actions, consult your own interest only. You depart from this interest when ever you imitate such measures as he pursues for his benefit.

Basically psyops are concerned with persuading individuals or a group to act favorable to ones interest. Aikido a Japanese martial art that emphasizes centering and blending. You will learn control fallows awareness of self or others. First understand than be under stood, knowing what is in the back of your enemies mind is not always possible, but leaving them no doubt what’s in the back of your mind is. Be aware of your own preconceptions so that they are not exploited. Deception is created by manipulating perceptions. First I.D. bias or crated one. It’s easier to reinforce a perception than to change one. If you know what’s expected or bitter yet hoped for, your deception will be on firm ground. Best to concentrate on ones capabilities not goals. Note: I interpret this last statement as communicating to opponent that it is futile to resist. And then there’s what Nixon said about goals – “one who reveals his intentions can never accomplish his goals”.
I well now allow time for discussion before we move into Cmdrs intent.

Note please visit my CP for more preview notes on Tri-F. And a very important editing note.
STEP # 2 Commander’s intent: Statement about the situation using general information given as a I. S.A.L.U.T.E, R. W. P. (i.e. a format for the briefing). Most importantly the cmder defines objectives & how far to go to achieve them. Also time limits if any. Leaders should know cmder’s intent two levels above his own, to better evaluate his own decisions. Commander’s Objectives are divided into Short term and Long term. Example; mission may be a precise, detailed order of the day or a continuing command responsibility.
Decision guidance
A) Type of order. Routine matters coming under previously approved policy are generally covered by SOPs and are handled by the staff without repeated visits to the commander. The fallowing will be brought without delay to the attention of the commander. Disapprovals form higher authority. Errors, deficiencies or irregularities alleged by higher authority. Appeals from subordinate commanders about decisions made at Hqt. Serious accidents involving personnel.
B) Time available. Short time between completing preparations and implementation. Have a definite time for completion of objective. Scheduling; provides for coordination and ensures completion in a timely manor. Especially important when commands or units must work together. Keeps appropriate pressure on subordinates. Allow sufficient time for the capable. Avoid becoming a leader who demands regularly that tasks be completed “yesterday”. Make one individual responsible, request assignee to estimate completion date, or set one.
C) Restated mission. Involves reviewing commander’s intent. Never bring a problem to the commander without at lease a tentative recommendation. Make sure that you know what you’re talking about when you apprise the commander (or Xo) of a problem. Ideally you should present solutions in such form that only approval or disapproval of the plan is required. Note ask yourself would you stake your reputation on plan. Should a failure to agree develop, the divergent (different) view must be presented objectively. The staff officer is not settling a debate but is presenting facts and views and making a recommendation. The commander will make the final decision.
D) Current scheme of maneuvers. Reviewing circumstances. It is necessary to know sentiments of your foe, are they confident or apprehensive. Point out foe’s weakness your advantages, and give argument for foe’s case to incite rage. Analyze foe weather strength is in experience or equipment. Stronger in infantry or cavalry. F. M. Erwin Ugen Rommel – “bold decisions give the best promise of success, but one must differentiate between strategical and tactical as well as boldness or a gamble”. A bold decision is one that in the event of failure leaves one with sufficient force to deal with out come. A gamble is a decision that can lead to complete destruction of ones forces. “Situations do arise where a gamble maybe justified, as for instance when in the general course of events defeat is merely a mater of time”.
Col. Boyd’s (OODA) loop. The principle of (OODA) is to ultimately ware foe down. Destroy paradigm, (foe’s view of the world), by sending ambiguous or deliberately misleading signals, and also moving and thinking faster than foe can respond. No one, no mater how weak, can be completely ruined by a foe, unless ones fall be facilitated by one’s own actions. Most desirable is to attack the mind, another words plans and intensions. Next his allies witch makes foe’s own world stable, provides the emotional and moral bunds to sustain his effort. Worst his armies. And worst yet, his armies in cities. The (OODA) Loop - O) Observation- perception, heighten awareness. O), Orientation- to new circumstances, unfolding situation. Entropy after initial shock of war or battles, actions settle down to steady grind. Casualties and movement rates become predictable. Events tend to regress towards the means. Don’t let flashy press reports fool you; exceptions tend to get published, not day to day averages. Attitudes differ on the battlefield. It can be difficult to tell whose winning. Especially today when battles are lost, units are quickly repositioned. Troops decide who won or lost. It’s possible for non combat troops to maintain reasonable belief in continuing victory with out knowledge of the big picture. A local defeat can be explained as an exception. Opinions also very with M.O.S. rank and location. NOTE: with advanced technologies and systems like Network centric warfare this naivety would be less likely in the feature. D) Deciding on counters- Maintenance of main objective as situation develops there is a temptation to change objective. This waist time and energy. Consistent pursuit of original objective is preferred. A) Acting- Fuller “A battle some times decides everything and some times the most trifle thing decides a battle”. “In war so much is unknown that it frequently happens that the simple to the complex is the rule of war”. “There for the simpler and more direct the beginning the less likely it is that things well get out of hand”.

Qualities of leaderships
Candor- its more then openness, it’s saying the things that need to be said without a lot of words, yes sir no sir, or under the table agendas. The battle field is the most honest place in the world. The stakes are to high and time to short to mess around with anything but the essence and truth. The candor of the battle field is why cohesiveness forms there so quickly and permanently and why lies told there are punished not with gossip but with actions. Officers can not lead well, if subordinates are telling them only what they think they want to here. Scorn sycophancy, servility/bootlicking, close cousins to backstabbing, character assassination and worst of all, pure corruption always fallows. All are enemies of meritocracy. Don’t be seduced by the dark side. Such actions are deliberately designed to thwart those who might otherwise advance based on competence. Officers must differentiate between appropriate respect and sycophantic or obsequious behavior, i.e. those who do there duty to the best of there abilities and those licking boots. Guide lines; those who work hard all the time vs. those working only when Cmdr is around.

Commitment – The phrase “clean as you go” means that jobs started are finished. It means order and thoroughness as a matter of course. It means policing an area to keep it sat; in contrast to a periodic, hurried cleanup to make it momentarily sat. It means being on the JOB all the time. Commitment, mainly to people rather than ideas. To that old buddy and then squad, some to the larger unit and nation, but no where near as much as to the buddy.

F.M. William Slim. “I tell you as officers, if you don’t eat, smoke, or sleep until your troops have done so, they well fallow you to the ends of the earth.” Last in the chow line, but first out of the fighting hole. Never say, get going, always say lets go. Thus, living by the same standards and in the same conditions, you will inspire their confidence in you and elicit trust in your judgment. Take care of them and they well take care of you. Troops do not give their trust and confidence to leaders who appear to be remote and unattached. Similarly, they are wary of those who appear to be unfamiliar or insensitive to their needs. You must learn their names quickly, call them by name and learn their specialties, strengths and weaknesses; this creates a personal bond between the individual and the commander. My captain knows me, the Marine will say. They will not mistake a poor commander for a good one. The relationship is one of daily contacts and is too continuous, to allow for any deceptions. If command is the highest responsibility of an officer, the first responsibility is to lead.

Competence- This is the oldest and most important quality of leadership, you can have candor and commitment but if you’re not competent you won’t last. Competence established the pecking order. Which may or may not correspond to rank and chain of command, depending on the competence of those in the chain. No commander should be aloud to remain long at the helm. By rotation you avoid the cult of personality, leader becomes ordinary member. With second mission failure leader should resign. This can be over turned with confidence vote. But three defeats, ends command. Choose subordinate with most victories. One indicator of good leadership is when officers have higher casualty rate than enlisted. All things being equal, if fighting dose not end quickly, you can be fairly sure neither side has a leadership advantage. If one side has force advantage (like NATO) you can be sure, smaller force has grater leadership.

James web management vs. leadership. It is much easier to educate a manager than to develop a leader. Management is the physics of things, it can be approached as an academic discipline, one can be taught to analyze data, weight alternatives and make decisions. Leadership is a subjective chemistry, filled with human variables. One must be able to motivate and reach the emotions, threw command presents, example and force. “When in war men must die” (an in war some must) “they can’t be managed to death, they must be lead there.” Sacrifice has and honored place in leadership but not in management. The military it is socialistic in that the group is more important than the individuals, it is a meritocracy in that the ways of rating are not based on monetary terms but on values of performance that only matter within the unit, and are meaningless otherwise.

We now pause for discussion and then move on to Concept of operations. Semper Fi....

has nothing to do with that. He writes in a very very strange way.

It would appear to be a fairly simple shorthand... it's a lot easier to decipher than, for instance, "leetspeek", "Chavspeek" or binary.

leetspeek said:
101 |-|1 8V\'5 |-|0\/\/ 4|23 \'0V?
This = "lol hi guys how are you?"

Chavspeek said:
L0L! Ty 4 a gD NiT3 GuRlZz Lv U aLl!

which equals: "lol! thank you for a good night Girls. I love you all!"

And i'm not even going to attempt binary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back