Fragging

tetvet

Banned
Was fragging a popular sport in Vietnam ? the Army records over 1000+ possible fragging incidents 10% of these actually made it to a court Marshall with zero convictions , this sport became so bad that butter bars were sent Vietnam as observers for their first 30 days they gave no orders but participated in company activities , one big reason was the American soldier could think and did think if the one giving the orders didn't seem too bright , he went boom .

I don't call murder a sport.
Fraggings occured everywhere there have been wars.
It got publicity in VN far above any reality.

I never saw or heard of any break in time for training regarding threat of fragging.
Many units had orientation periods with some area or job specific training.

The longer VN went on, the more inner turmoil grew, but that was also a reflection of things at home.
Drugs got to be a big issue amongst a lot of troops and so did racial strife which has been seriously covered up.

Actually murdering a superior is pretty far from normal operations in the American military.

There were about 3 million GIs in VN over a 10 year period.

I am sure that not everybody of the few who may have done it got away with it.

Was fragging a popular sport in Vietnam ? the Army records over 1000+ possible fragging incidents 10% of these actually made it to a court Marshall with zero convictions , this sport became so bad that butter bars were sent Vietnam as observers for their first 30 days they gave no orders but participated in company activities , one big reason was the American soldier could think and did think if the one giving the orders didn't seem too bright , he went boom .

Butter Bars, not to change the subject Tet, but I sure haven't heard that
acronym in many years for a 2nd lieutenant. Sorry for the interuption

Was murder a popular sport in Vietnam of course not was fragging popular sport in Vietnam a popular sport in Vietnam that would depend on which side of the grenade you were on , if a 2nd Lt made it through his first 30 days he was good to go if he made bad decisions he usually got himself killed and a lot of his men liked to see the LT **** up even helped him **** up , the U.S. Army stated there were most than a 1000 possible fragging incidents in Vietnam with no convictions , look it up . There was no love lost between the Officers and Enlisted in Vietnam .

I did two tours in a border A Camp 68-70 and I tend to disagree with your comic book versions of Vietnam.
Most of my friends are VN Vets and I spend a lot of time on boards open only to vets. I belong to unit associations and major vet associations.
I go to lots of National and state vet activities and keep up with VA affairs.
Don't really have a lot of affinity for non vets.
I do not snivel or whine about how bad we were treated, as the vast majority of us used our benefits and got on with our lives.
Some guys continue to make a career out of being victims, but most of them were sorry troops to begin with.
The kids might be impressed with such generalizations, but your brush is just way too broad.
As I said, 1,000 out of 3 million in-country guys over 10 years is hardly representative.
I will read up on it again-been a long time.

Just did a short recon on fragging.

Here is a light report. After having "Looked it up."

figure of 721 incidents was reported. MMV.
28 convictions stated.
One got death, but reduced to life.
Drugs and alcohol were major factors and more likely to be committed by a REMF than a combat troop.
Guys with existing psych or sociological issues were head of the class.
Interesting that volunteers were a much higher percentage-but I think the enlisting to beat the draft deal was a factor.
When I was out processing at Nha Trang, they had an old semi abandoned barrack they put us in.
I was the only one there and next day two E4 support guys and a E 6 support guy came in.
I was an E 6 and he had nothing on me. He was a real prick-he told the E4s that though they all were short, they were going to do the army thing and maintain the barracks and the general area. Not his responsibility.
Next morning he got up and grabbed his boots.
A frag rolled out of one with a note on it-"You might be shorter than you think, MF"
Funniest thing I saw over there. scared the bejeezus out of the REMF prick and he stayed pretty quiet next day or so.
There is quite a lot of reading on the net regarding fragging. That was just the term coined in VN for murder in ranks.
There is a guy right now up for killing several guys in a tent in Iraq with a frag.
Interesting subject altogether I plan on reading more about.

I did two tours in a border A Camp 68-70 and I tend to disagree with your comic book versions of Vietnam.
Most of my friends are VN Vets and I spend a lot of time on boards open only to vets. I belong to unit associations and major vet associations.
I do not snivel or whine about how bad we were treated, as the vast majority of us used our benefits and got on with our lives.
Some guys continue to make a career out of being victims, but most of them were sorry troops to begin with.
The kids might be impressed with such generalizations, but your brush is just way too broad.
As I said, 1,000 out of 3 million in-country guys over 10 years is hardly representative.

Bingo!...

Nail on the head... There are certain people who need to take a leaflet from your book.

I post what might get a reply a reply might lead into a discussion and a discussion might lead into a conversation , so far we seem to be stuck on replies lets move it on .

I was once a member of the 3rd battalion, 77th Armor. Later, when I was long gone from that outfit, two battalion officers were murdered by fragging in Viet nam.

My Unit the 116th ahc had 45 officers 5 commissioned the rest were W/O's 15 ships , 5 gunships , 10 slicks there was no tension at all because of the makeup of an Aviation Co you were all crew members you went up together and you came down together , I think there was a lot of friction in permanent Fire Bases as freedom of movement was pretty much curtailed and close contact 24/7 .

Different times indeed....or maybe a few too many views of "Platoon".

I think I can authoritatively say that this certainly isn't a problem today. The enlisted, NCO, and officer ranks mostly get along and orders are follwed. Sure, there are idiots in every category...but, the Mickey Mouse BS is kept to a managable level.

Back