FOURTEEN CHARACTERISTICS OF FASCISM - Page 2

--
Boots

July 6th, 2005  
Chocobo_Blitzer

Sherman summed it up pretty well why the article is fubar, but I felt like it was catered specifically for people to draw parrallels to the US.

It seemed pretty obvious to me, but I guess not...
July 6th, 2005  
chewie_nz

[quote="Chocobo_Blitzer"] Sherman summed it up pretty well why the article is fubar

where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocobo_Blitzer
but I felt like it was catered specifically for people to draw parrallels to the US.

It seemed pretty obvious to me, but I guess not[u]...

thats your perogative to believe what you want, it mentions the regiemes that the study looked at before drawing these commonalities. if you feel that some (or many) are represented in the US at this time, it just goes to show that it wouldn't take much of a slide to go from "a freedom exporting democracy" to "a despotic facist state". and maybe illustrates the fear that some of us have about where the US could go.
July 6th, 2005  
SHERMAN

Quote:
if you feel that some (or many) are represented in the US at this time, it just goes to show that it wouldn't take much of a slide to go from "a freedom exporting democracy" to "a despotic facist state". and maybe illustrates the fear that some of us have about where the US could go
But dont you agree that if democarcy was more agressive about self protection during the 20th century alot of bad stuff could be avoided. You do understand that when democracy stops defending itself it becomes anarchy?
--
Boots
July 6th, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
Quote:
if you feel that some (or many) are represented in the US at this time, it just goes to show that it wouldn't take much of a slide to go from "a freedom exporting democracy" to "a despotic facist state". and maybe illustrates the fear that some of us have about where the US could go
But dont you agree that if democracy was more agressive about self protection during the 20th century alot of bad stuff could be avoided. You do understand that when democracy stops defending itself it becomes anarchy?

i part i do, but then we get to the very thinest of lines; "where does self protection stop"

pre emptive attacks or projecting military power outside of your own borders. remember that this was the justification that hitler used to stomp his way across europe....poland "attacked" germany. self defence then right?

and just as an aside, anarchy isn't neccisarily a bad thing... the basic premise for anarchy is just that we should all be responsible for our own actions;

Quote:
The word "anarchy", as most anarchists use it, does not imply chaos or anomie, but rather a stateless society with voluntary social harmony. All proponents of anarchism argue that relations based upon voluntary cooperation (as opposed to statism) will lead to a society of free individuals.

Anarchism is a term which encompasses a variety of political philosophies, social movements, and political ideologies that advocate the abolition of all forms of coercion (including any social hierarchy of a dominating nature). Proponents of anarchism argue that relations based upon voluntary cooperation and mutual aid will lead to a society characterized by the ability of each actor to have a say in outcomes proportionate to the degree they are affected by them, a society consisting of free individuals.

Individual freedom and opposition to the State are the unvarying principles of anarchism; less agreed upon are such matters as the role of violence in changing society, the preferred type of economic system, whether private property is allowable, whether hierarchy and unequal social status are natural voluntary social forms or authoritarian, the interpretation of egalitarian ideals, and the degree of organization desirable to effect social change
July 7th, 2005  
Italian Guy

1. Hitler never stated that Poland was to ever to attack Germany.
2. Anarchy sucks.
July 7th, 2005  
SHERMAN

Anarchy in its ideal form can never exist. It would become a situaton that thhe strong rob and kill the weak.
July 7th, 2005  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Guy
1. Hitler never stated that Poland was to ever to attack Germany.
2. Anarchy sucks.
Oddly enough Hitler did state Poland attacked Germany in a series of border skirmishes, they were faked but none the less that was the basis of his justification for invading Poland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_..._radio_station
July 7th, 2005  
Italian Guy

Thank you mate. Didnt know that. Well I guess point number 2 is now valid, only
July 7th, 2005  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Guy
Thank you mate. Didnt know that. Well I guess point number 2 is now valid, only
Indeed it is, as Sherman points out Anachy in its purest form cannot work.
July 8th, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
Anarchy in its ideal form can never exist. It would become a situaton that thhe strong rob and kill the weak.
i 100% agree with you, it is a nice idea though....and and only our own nature that screws it up.

my point was that anarchy isn't neccisarily a bad thing...chaos would be my choice of words.