Found a French dog-tag

tonyh

Hi all...

Just got back from France, where I found a dog-tag

Bernard Eugene 1920 Dunkerque 507 ... It appears to be made of copper.

I was walking around the top of the Napoleonic fort at Calais and it was in the spoil from a mole hill.

It may have some interest to the French but, I don't know how to go about informing them.

So, was hoping for some advice

Tony

It would probably of interest to someone, as chances are that parts of Eugene's body is right in that mole-hill. I was unable to find the name of the agency that takes care of French war graves, but it is definitely out there. I would try to find them and give them a call. Mr. Bernard might appreciate it, even if no-one else does.

Dean.

You could try the British War graves commission, they should be able to contact their French counterparts if you cant.

I dont think you should have taken it though. I would have let the local police know. Mind you it could have been lost. But seems more likely his body is nearby.

Found here. on the wall of the citadel

PICT0066cvx.jpg

I found it on the top of this place...

With a date of 1920, It did not occurred to me that it was likely to be with a body.

Just fought it had been misplaced/lost.

Tony :-?

You might be right. I suspect 1920 is a date of birth, which means that it could have been from a soldier during the defence of Calais in 1940.

Then again as you say it could have been lost.

Last edited:
It is something that has occurred to Me since...

I really do hope that I have not removed a Tag from a Soldiers resting place.

That certainly was not my intention.

Tony

Well buddy don't worry. It would be good (very good) if you could contribute to let the soldier's family know about where their dear one is resting. You can always take that tag back to its place in the future. But I'm sure its (former) owner would like to know that his family, sons, has it as a most precious object.

Contacting the British Authorities and letting them help you sort it with the French would be the way to go I think.

Back