Fort Hood today.

Del Boy

Just watching news broadcast here from Fort Hood, talking to folk about their voting patterns. Very good item. A poignant comment from one young war widow - 'if you don't support your military, how can you support America?'

Just watching news broadcast here from Fort Hood, talking to folk about their voting patterns. Very good item. A poignant comment from one young war widow - 'if you don't support your military, how can you support America?'

How is that poignant?

The right to freely and safely disagree with any aspect of government policy is one of the "tenants" that the country is allegedly trying to promote world wide.

I would also suggest that in this persons case they are confusing the military's role with the political role as in a lot of cases people many people who apparently "don't support the troops" simply do not support the idea of sending good people to die for bad political reasons.

How is that poignant?

Monty, it is poignant because it is poignant, coming from a young widow in an Army fort town. That is undeniable.

I did not suggest it was a political statement. I was simply showing a little respect and support for folk in that position.

There was no mention of government policies, or 'apparently supporting'; where did that spring from ??

The post was for the interest of any who served there, or might even have been there.

Well put it this way.
If it wasn't for foreign powers like the United States there probably wouldn't be much of a Korea and guess what Korea's traditional stance towards the military has been? It's a no brainer. Though the military is by no means the only important thing, if you neglect it and the ranks are filled with societal rejects from top to bottom the instant someone with the capability and determination shows up to take your country under their control it will be a reality.
If you hate your military you might as well equate that will taking off all the doors off your house. You may not believe in the doors but it's what's keeping your stuff belonging to you.
That is not saying that if you oppose a certain war abroad you hate your country. Though sometimes I think there is a need to see beyond why a country got involved and focus on what the deal is right now. Iraq and Afghanistan seemed to be totally flipped in that point of view. A loss or a pullout from Afghanistan probably won't have that big of an effect but a cut and run from Iraq would have severe consequences not just in Iraq but around the world. No one will ever be able to trust the Americans to help defend them. The Russians and Chinese will get some new reluctant friends.

So what happens if at the start of next year Iraq doesn't sign a defence agreement but instead say go home?

I think that would be a different story.
Iraq decides it doesn't want American protection. Fine. It is not because of a lack of commitment from America so in that sense, America's reputation in terms of being able to protect those it promises to protect is not tarnished. And what happens in Iraq after that is their problem.

Back