FORT HOOD

2nd hand PTSD was BS the day it came up.
You can't get 2nd hand PTSD.
You might get horrified, you might get disturbed, but PTSD is something completely different.

Why are People so hell bent on trying to dodge reality? Some people love to talk about things after they dress it up and act all caring and goodie two shoes about it.

But yet they are afraid to face the facts of reality when it comes to direct action.

Any symptoms the media is uncovering on the shooter now and calling it the results secondhand effects from a serious disorder resulting from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan is complete crap.

I think it's right to pursue all other possibilities before jumping to conclusions but this is ridiculous.

The guy was not mentally sound, he believed in things contrary to the welfare of the United States (let alone the US Army) and he had a strong attraction/fascination with extreme fundamentalist Islam. I think (contrary to earlier) that these were the biggest reasons. But they're not the only ones.
Still think there needs to be a lot more explaining to be done though. As in, why did he stay in the Army for about 20 years when he apparently hasn't been giving up any kind of intel to individuals with terrorist ties? Why that day? Seriously.

But 2nd hand PTSD? That is NOT a factor.

"Why are People so hell bent on trying to dodge reality?"

Sukio, I don't want to get too political, but I think the answer to your question lies there. Since the invasion of Iraq, The left (along with the center-left media) has been obsessed with hating Pres. Bush ... to the point people began calling it Bush Derangement Syndrome" or BDS.

Now, it's not enough that he's out of office and can't come back. They have to fundamentally dismantle the centerpiece of his administration: "The War on Terror." Steps taken include:

1) Renaming "Terrorist Attacks" as the completely ridiculous: "Man-Caused Disasters."
2) Closing GITMO (even though we don't know what to do with the prisoners).
3) Closing down military tribunals and transferring jihadist suspects to NYC for jury trials ... which most people think is just insanity.
4) The current President wanting to sit down and talk to nutjobs like Ahmadinejad of Iran ... even though we know he's lying to us and funding just about every anti-US group in existence.
5) The withdrawl from Iraq was already underway and you can see how reluctant Obama is to send more troops to Afghanistan ... despite the left saying this was the correct war to fight when we were actively engaged in Iraq a few years ago.

No matter what, if Bush was for it, we now have to be 180 degrees against it ... even if it makes no sense.

So, when someone with the name "Nadal Malik Hasan" flips out, shouts "Allahu Akbar" and kills over a dozen U.S. soldiers and wounds over twice as many more, it cannot be an act of terrorism or Islamic extremism. It must be something else ... ANYTHING ELSE! We'll invent the term "2nd Hand PTSD" and say it was caused by the evil war Bush started. Or maybe Hasan was the victim of taunts by bigoted right-winger Texans. Hasan had easy access to firearms and couldn't handle the stress. Hasan was just plain nuts, etc ... It has to be ANYTHING but an act tied to terrorism.

Now, you can hate Bush. That's fine with me, but please hate his policies for substantive reasons and come up with well thought out alternatives. This continued BDS and the reflexive anti-war-on-terror nonsense is just insanity ... and it's getting good people killed.

The left in the US wants to pretend we are not at war with Islamo fascism ... which is just the mentality that gave us September 11.

Jonah Goldberg wrote a decent column about this topic as well:

http://townhall.com/columnists/JonahGoldberg/2009/11/13/the_politics_of_fort_hood

The main concern I have is that the political correctness has gotten so bad that if someone who is of a different ethnicity to you is doing something stereotypically dangerous of his/her group, you cannot report it.

The main concern I have is that the political correctness has gotten so bad that if someone who is of a different ethnicity to you is doing something stereotypically dangerous of his/her group, you cannot report it.

You said it, just to stay safe you basically ignore it on the premises you may lose your job or be labeled a bigot, people take that seriously, I can understand people being treated equal by an institution on these matters but the fact is people as people will treat each other different. And if you see a major issue like you said, that stereotypically corresponds with a dangerous situation, keeping quiet just so you won't have to face public outcry and risk lives should not even have to be QUESTIONABLE.

Another Hypothesis

I believe the reason is a bit more mundane than Secondary PTSD. I know psychiatrists are not on the front line when it comes to treating the horribly wounded. That Mission goes to Docs like Surgeons, Anesthesiologists, Emergency Medicine Docs. Hasan would not have been directly exposed to that.

I am wondering if the "method in his madness" might have been a desire to get out of his obligated service. He gets his free medical education, and his post grad medical training courtesy of the US Taxpayer via the US Army. For this he incurs a service obligation of possibly more than 10 years.He does this pro Muslim thing believing the Army will decide he is too much a security risk and then discharge him without having to serve his payback time. Instead, someone tells him, Doctor you WILL do your payback time. You serve part of your payback time in the Middle East, either Iraq or Afghanistan.

Then he goes into a rage and snaps.

PTSD is not a contagious disease. There is no secondary PTSD.

"Following on the tragedy at Fort Hood perpetrated by Major Nidal Malik Hasan, it has been suggested by some politically correct main stream media that Hasan's behavior may have arisen from a nervous breakdown he suffered due to the stress of treating so many young soldiers returning from war. The media outlet further stated that Hasan “caught” PTSD.

Let me be very, very clear about this. PTSD is NOT a contagious disease. As the noted psychiatrist Dr. Scott Mendelson explained, “it is no more possible to get PTSD from listening to soldiers tell their tales of their traumatic war experiences than it is to catch gonorrhea from hearing one talk about an unfortunate sexual experience.”

I bring this up because a recruiter called who wanted to hire veterans, but asked how to tell if someone had caught PTSD. The recruiter had seen the report on a nightly news cast. It is unfortunate that people in our society are exposed to such blatant misinformation by elements of America’s main stream media, but it happens. The tragedy in such reporting is it puts former military at a disadvantage when applying to a job in the civilian sector. If you run across someone who thinks PTSD is a contagious disease, please make sure they understand that PTSD is not contagious. And remind them of all the good reasons why their company should be hiring veterans!"

As quoted from an article in the Veterans Eagle. At Vetjobs.com

This guys an ass

I believe the reason is a bit more mundane than Secondary PTSD. I know psychiatrists are not on the front line when it comes to treating the horribly wounded. That Mission goes to Docs like Surgeons, Anesthesiologists, Emergency Medicine Docs. Hasan would not have been directly exposed to that.

I am wondering if the "method in his madness" might have been a desire to get out of his obligated service. He gets his free medical education, and his post grad medical training courtesy of the US Taxpayer via the US Army. For this he incurs a service obligation of possibly more than 10 years.He does this pro Muslim thing believing the Army will decide he is too much a security risk and then discharge him without having to serve his payback time. Instead, someone tells him, Doctor you WILL do your payback time. You serve part of your payback time in the Middle East, either Iraq or Afghanistan.

Then he goes into a rage and snaps.

Shut the hell up. You know exactly s***. Attempt to sell your snake oil some place else.

to: Sgt. Rafael Peralta ,United States Marine Corps

Unless you have spent 20+ years in the Army Medical Corps, active and reserve, you do not have the credentials to comment upon what I know about the Medical Departments.

I bet, like most Marines, you believe the Marines captured the Halls of Montezuma

I bet, like most Marines, you believe the Marines captured the Halls of Montezuma
Everyone and their mama knows it was the US Army's 1st Amored, "Cav Scouts" that did that. Hell, cav scouts are always doing everyone's dirty work, and they never get the credit they deserve! :viking:

Everyone and their mama knows it was the US Army's 1st Amored, "Cav Scouts" that did that. Hell, cav scouts are always doing everyone's dirty work, and they never get the credit they deserve! :viking:

Finally, someone who knows the truth.

Unless you have Hassans OQR sitting in front of you and are privy to the CID Reports, FBI reports and the total investigation ...well then I give two shits about it and your opinion. It amounts to speculation as to why .

No the Marine detachment was with Twiggs command as was one of the first into Mexico City. it was the first to breach the walls of Chapultepec ...hence the Halls of Montezuma. It was under Twiggs command..an Army Brigader General.

Any other questions Chuckles?

Unless you have Hassans OQR sitting in front of you and are privy to the CID Reports, FBI reports and the total investigation ...well then I give two shits about it and your opinion. It amounts to speculation as to why .

No the Marine detachment was with Twiggs command as was one of the first into Mexico City. it was the first to breach the walls of Chapultepec ...hence the Halls of Montezuma. It was under Twiggs command..an Army Brigader General.

Any other questions Chuckles?

Yes, why are you so abysmally ignorant about history? Even for a Marine who I correctly believed had no idea of what happened at Chapultepec, the extent of you ignorance is truly astounding.

Read a few history books. The Marine Battalion did not do anything particularly significant in the Campaign for Mexico City. The Marine Battalion was assigned to Quitman's Division, not Twiggs' Division. You are confusing General David Twiggs with Marine Major Levi Twiggs, a relative of the Army General.

Soldiers successively won the Battles of Contreras, Churusbuco and El Molino del Rey, actions in which Soldiers decisively defeated numerically superior Mexican forces. During those actions, the Marine Battalion guarded supply wagons.

During the assault on Chapultepec, soldiers from a number of Infantry regiments were the troops who finally scaled the walls and fought it out with the garrison. There was one company of Marines with them. Most of the Marine Battalion remained outside the castle and supported the attack with musketry.

I suggest you read some history, like the Time Life History of the Mexican War or the book titled So Far From God.

Go to Google Books and look up BATTLE HISTORY OF THE US MARINES: A FELLOWSHIP OF VALOR, specifically pages 12 and 13. According to this book, overall the Marine Battalion's performance at Chapultepec was not particularly distinguished.

Question 2: What did you do on 23-24 October 1983?

Question 3: Do you understand the intent of the Stolen Valor Act. If your answer is yes, then why do you try to credit the Marine Corps with what the US Army accomplished? How do you honor your Corps by believing it accomplished things it did not do?

It may not have been the First Armored, but it was the US Army. I recall also the St. Patrick's Brigade, and when they were hanged. Hang'em all, I say.

Try South Wall of the military academy on Chapultepec hill on Sept 13th. They took the wall that morning and fought into the interior of the fortress and opened the gate to allow the rest of Quitmans force in.This is accoording to the OR and other historical sources. Perhaps you are the one that might inform your self about the Mexico City area of operations of Scotts Campaign? Yes I did misname the CG so beat me with a wet noodle if thats what your basing your little rant on. I never claimed that the Marines won the whole war with Mexico...You for some reason seem to enjoy attacking the Corps for some reason.

As for the Stolen Valor Act.

Yes I know what it says.

I also know that your apparent interpretation of it is way off the Mark as to it's purpose and intent.

83? I was in HS why? You gonna tell me how bad it was?
I served with guys who were there..them I believe. You may be just pumpin your ego.

Last edited:
There has been at least one other incident of a Muslim Soldier in the US Army killing other US soldiers - a Muslim Sgt in Kuwait threw a grenade into a tent of full of US soldiers.

PTSD

Chukpike,
Hear, hear - I was in the Army (and a VN Vet) when for years the media portrayed all of us as drug addicted psychopaths

Back