Former Marine kills would-be robber

moving0target

Former Marine kills would-be robber
3 men, one woman attack waiter walking in Midtown

By BILL MONTGOMERY
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 05/30/06 A pack of would-be robbers including, a pregnant 17-year-old, figured a Midtown waiter walking to his girlfriend's house Monday night would be an easy mark, according to police.
But, in Thomas Autry, 36, the bandits picked the wrong victim, said Atlanta police homicide Detective Danny Stephens. The former Marine, cornered by his pursuers on Penn Avenue at 4th Street, fought back with a pocket knife in a deadly melee that left the young woman dead and a man in his late teens seriously injured at a hospital.
The woman was identified as Amy Martin, who just had a birthday May 10, said Investigator Mark Gilbeau with the Fulton County Medical Examiner's Office. An autopsy was expected to be completed Tuesday afternoon. "Cause of death will be stab wounds, but we don't know how many yet," Gilbeau said.
The teenager lived in an apartment at 3000 Stone Hogan Connector in southwest Atlanta, south of Greenbriar Mall near East Point, Gilbeau said. A young man also stabbed in the robbery attempt remained in critical condition, he added.
Autry suffered minor injuries. The identities of the surviving suspects, who Stephens said are believed to be linked to "a lot" of pedestrian robberies in Midtown and Virginia-Highland, were not released. They face aggravated assault and robbery charges, police said.
Autry will not be charged, Stephens said. "It was a clear case of self defense."
Stephens said Autry had left his job at the Jocks & Jills restaurant in Midtown and was walking along Penn Avenue when a blue Cadillac pulled alongside and three men, one armed with a shotgun, and the woman jumped from the car.
"This group had robbed two men on Piedmont earlier Monday night, taking a video camera and a cellphone," Stephens said.
"Autry takes off running, and they chase him. During the chase, Autry's trying to get into his backpack to get a pocket knife, which slows him down," Stephens said.
During the chase, Autry repeatedly yelled "fire, fire," which Stephens said attracted nearby residents' attention.
Grabbing the knife from his backpack, Autry managed to kick the shotgun from the man's hands and stabbed the woman in the chest, fatally wounding her. Stephens said. In the melee, Autry also stabbed one of the male suspects. Another suspect attempted to shoot Autry with a .380 pistol, which misfired, Stephens said.
The suspects ran back to the Cadillac and drove to Atlanta Medical Center, where police arrested them. The young woman, "about two weeks pregnant," was pronounced dead at the hospital, Stephens said.
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/0530marine.html

Unfortunately I didn't get the original article as featured on the newspaper's site. It was titled "Marine Kills Pregnant Robber." Nothing like a little bleeding heart spin. I say a hearty "Semper Fi" and good riddance of bad rubbish.

I always wondered why it mattered that they're "Former Marines" or "Former Soldiers" etc. :roll:

You never hear "Former Accountant Caps Robber in the Face." The press, I am convinced, are mostly idiots.

Last edited:
I'm guessing to show how former military people use "violent" tactics against "innocent people".

But I believe the man did everything in his power to not have it end in such a fashion, and he did use self defence. But you know how the press shows the military.

PJ24 said:
I always wondered why it mattered that they're "Former Marines" or "Former Soldiers" etc. :roll:

You never hear "Former Accountant Caps Robber in the Face." The press, I am convinced, are mostly idiots.
My thoughts exactly. They got what they deserved.

They do seem to really hone in on the former military status anytime something of this nature goes down, especially if it can be made to sound like "over-defense".

Could it have to do with trying to make the military seem like a bunch of freaks. They are sent all over the world and can't adjust to daily life afterward? Why the press wants to make this image... I don't know. All I know is that the "former Marine" did what he had to do; this is, to defend himself. No hard feelings here!

Bulldogg- (this is not an argument- I'm concurring with you) when a man (or pack of 3 men and one woman) present an immediate threat to your life, is there really such a thing as over defense? That's as stupid as saying that, in defending my home against a man armed with a pistol, I can't LEGALLY whip out the 870 or club him with the .30/06.
Media :roll:

Ted- I agree with you that it can be used to put former soldiers and sailors in a bad light. That's the two edged sword of the press.

Some legal municipalities have laws on their books concerning over-defense. I do not subscribe to this theory and think it is absolute bullspit. In China they have this law and basicly it comes down to this. If I am attacked by someone with a stick and I use a knife I am charged with a crime. If I am attacked by ten people with sticks and I use a knife, I am charged with a crime. If they die, its murder, if not then it is attempted murder. It is an assinine law that makes someone a double victim. I believe that if a criminal assaults you, you should use any and all means to defend yourself. That criminal gave up all rights to being treated with any decency or respect as a fellow human when he chose to assault you. Alas, common sense is not all that common.

Bulldogg, I completely agree with your sentiments. Enter onto another man's property with intent to harm, and you're promoting the assisted suicide laws. It's sad that you can't effectively defend yourself in the case of an attack with a weapon of equal or greater power. Last I checked, laws were supposed to take power away from criminals.

Those damn scumbags are luckly they didn't jump me. The police would of had three dead bodies. I just got a brand new GLOCK 34 with a 19 round magazine. I carry twenty rounds of 147 Gr 9mm JHP on me.

Good for him that he defended himself and stopped those punks. I just don't carry nio pocket knife on me. I always carry a firearm.

When I was in Alaska we had "Shoot to kill" laws meaning that we can pretty much use any "reasonable" force inorder to protect your life or your property.

But down here in New Jersey, everyone is afraid of hand guns and even rifles...

Also consider- if you're in the bush (much of Alaska equates to that, from what I've seen on my trips up there) it pays to be packing. Bears, insane moose, etc.

Read my post on May 17th ,gun control,political discussions and you'll see the idiocy of "unreasonable force".The guy is lucky he lives in the U.S. not England or hed be serving a lengthy jail term. Pity he didnt kill them all.

I didn't read anything on it but when the radio news station broadcast it, they said something like "he saved his life because his military training just kicked in naturally." They spun it pretty positively down here.

I didnt hear much about this, other than the article...I'm behind everyone else here...Since the general feelings are,"Good for him!" I wonder why a pregnant woman wanted anything to do with physical exertion...let alone a muggery...lol...you just dont hear that stuff every day...haha

You hear that kind of stuff every day in Atlanta. The city is a pit. It's right up there with DC on the "dangerous places you don't want to live" list.

ATL is a definately dirty city.

But, it's got SOME perks.

D.C. is ghetto as anything man. My cousin just bought a house out there. And we looked across the street and saw a drug dealer. Amazing, eh?

Back