Former Flyers GM Clarke returns as VP

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA - Bob Clarke returned to the Philadelphia Flyers as a senior vice president Monday, more than six weeks after he quit as the team's general manager because of burnout.
"Bob's experience as a player and general manager over the last 37 years is invaluable," Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said.
"This is a way to keep Clarkie involved in the organization and utilize the knowledge that he has gained over the years," he added. "He is a tremendous resource that we can call upon. We should take advantage of that and Bob is certainly willing to help out the organization any way that he can."
Clarke was Philadelphia's general manager from 1984-90 and again from 1994 until Oct. 22, when he resigned with the Flyers off to a 1-6-1 start. Clarke said he had grown tired of the general manager's duties and the hours.
"I'm really glad that I'm still associated with Paul and the team," Clarke said. "It was a tough decision (to resign) but it was the right decision. But I don't want to be left out of the team. Whatever Paul sees me as, whether it's scouting or he wants my opinion, then I'll offer it. I'm not there to do someone else's job. I'm just there if Paul sees a way I can help."
As general manager, Clarke never matched the success he had as a Hall of Fame player when he led the Flyers to Stanley Cup championships in the 1973-74 and 1974-75 seasons.
Clarke finished his career as the Flyers' all-time leading scorer with 1,210 points (358 goals and 852 assists) in 1,144 games over 15 seasons.
As a senior vice president, Clarke will focus mostly on monitoring the Flyers' player-development program.
"The fun of watching the game is still there for me," Clarke said.

Back