The Forgotten War (Korea) Quiz

tomtom22

Chief Engineer
I had the idea of having a quiz on the Viet Nam War, so I started a thread. This is the same thing only it is about the Forgotten War, the Korean War. The rules are you only ask a question if you answer a question right. So if I ask a question, you answer it, I tell you you're right, then you ask a question. This is the exact same set of rules as the WWII Quiz and the Viet Nam War Quiz.
If possible, please post a source with your answer.
After a fixed period of time after the correct answer is confirmed (i.e. two days) if the original person to answer has not submitted a new question, the forum becomes open for new questions by someone else.

I'll start off and good luck.

What was the name of the first US Army unit to come under fire in Korea, also name the place and Commander.

Last edited:
Battle of Osan

This battle was the first engagement between US and North Korean forces during the Korean War. Vastly outnumbered and ill-equipped, US Task Force Smith of 500 men suffered 150 casualties while inflicting about 120 on the enemy and delaying them half a day.
Task Force Smith was named for Lieutenant Colonel Charles B. Smith, commanding officer, 1st Battalion, 21st Regiment, 24th Infantry Division.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Task_Force_Smith

Right on the money bulldogg. That is a great site there. I'm always using it as a reference.

BRADLEY, JOSEPH S.
Citation:
The Distinguished Service Cross (First Oak Leaf Cluster) is presented to Joseph S. Bradley, Brigadier General, U.S. Army, for extraordinary heroism in connection with military operations against an armed enemy of the United Nations while serving as Assistant Division Commander, 2d Infantry Division, from 2 through 5 September 1950, after the enemy had broken through the lines of the 9th and 23rd Infantry Regiments in what proved to be his last attempt to crush the United Nations forces in Korea. General Bradley was ordered by the Commanding General, Second Infantry Division, to take command of the scattered units south of the breakthrough and to defend the town of Yongsan and the pass leading back to Miryang at all costs. Hastily gathering disorganized elements of the First and 2d Battalions, Ninth Infantry, General Bradley reorganized them together with the Second Engineer Combat Battalion and elements of the 72nd Tank Battalion, and beat off repeated enemy attacks. On September 2, 1950, with enemy tanks in the town of Yongsan, he personally took charge of the disorganized Engineer Battalion and placed Company D in position to beat back and destroy the Communists in the town. On the next day, a force of eight hundred enemy infantry with tanks and self-propelled guns threatened to come in from the south and overrun the command post of the Ninth Infantry and the nearby artillery positions from the rear. General Bradley again went forward under heavy fire and directed a task force consisting of tanks and engineers against this threat, and with two batteries of 166-mm. howitzers firing at extreme muzzle elevation, so short was the range, succeeded in driving back the enemy force with heavy casualties. Throughout the period of this desperate, last-ditch defense in which even elements of the Division Band and clerks from the rear echelon were put into the line, General Bradley was always in front, encouraging individual riflemen to stand fast in spite of enemy penetrations to their flanks and rear. On the fourth and fifth of September, with the enemy stopped but still capable of exploiting their success, General Bradley rallied his decimate force to make a coordinated counterattack with the First Provisional Marine Brigade and again leading the forward elements, successfully restored the position. By his extraordinary heroism and outstanding example of valor, General Bradley was an inspiration to the entire command and was directly responsible for stopping the enemy attack.
Headquarters, Eighth U.S. Army, Korea: General Orders No. 169 (November 13, 1950).
Home Town: Vancouver, Washington
Other Award: Distinguished Service Cross (WWII)

Over to you BD...

Prior to Operation Chromite, an American military officer was sent to gather first hand intelligence on Inchon, what was this officer's name?

Back