Foreigner joining US Marine Corps.

EagleHammer

Here goes, next year when i am 20, i start serving in the Swedish army for a year, and maybe then another year overseas, possibly Afghanistan or another conflikt zone.

And beacuse you can't have a military career in Sweden unless you are an Officer, I wonder how easy is it to join yhe Marine Corps, i know i probably need a green card, but is it easy to get for someone whilling to serve?

Second thing. I will probably be like 24 at the time. And i wonder is that to old? :army:.

Go away.
The last thing we need is someone who hates America to join the USMC and then spread knowledge and intel about the organization to some other organization. "Yeah I served in the Marines and (insert slag here)."
Go join the Foreign Legion or something.
Best of all, stay away from the military.
And by the way, the answer is no.

Let me guess you didn't get in.

I don't hate America i just don't like some of their foreign policy like Iraq while i support the fight in Afghanistan, and not thinking about that i want combat experiense, i believe in fighting for what you believe in.

Second thing: Spreading intel? Paranoid much. I am a westerner, who am i suppose to give this information to? Britain?

Third thing: Why are you answering, look on your flag you are not from the States.

Can someone serious answer.?

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm eager to hear another answer.

The Marines that are fighting don't have the chance to hate OUR foreign policy. Theres is not to reason why, but to do and die. They don't ask question, they just do as they are told, could you? I don't know how easy it would be due to your prior service. The people that already served in the Marine Corps that are wanting to get back in are having a hard time. If they don't consider your prior service and you have a green card, it would be easy to enlist.

Here goes, next year when i am 20, i start serving in the Swedish army for a year, and maybe then another year overseas, possibly Afghanistan or another conflikt zone.

And beacuse you can't have a military career in Sweden unless you are an Officer, I wonder how easy is it to join yhe Marine Corps, i know i probably need a green card, but is it easy to get for someone whilling to serve?

Second thing. I will probably be like 24 at the time. And i wonder is that to old? :army:.

Don't think it would make it easier to get a green card if you said you wanted to join the marines. You should be aware that when you join any United States military organization you would have to swear allegiance probably the same as you would for your Swedish service.

You can join US military organizations as a foreign national. You would even get the opportunity for US citizenship. 24 is not to old.

I'm answering it because I understand the challenge that foreigners face and know it better than most recruiters at this moment.

You need a Green Card minimum to enlist. If you have a Green Card, you are restricted by a few MOS but as for enlisting, YOU CAN. However, this is the tricky part. However, if you go to school in the US and get a nursing degree and become a full time licensed nurse, your odds of getting a Green Card fast are much higher. As for being a teacher, this is very iffy but also possible.
Now there are some words going around that alternative routes are going to be experimented with, but I wouldn't hold my breath and it looks like whatever is implimented in the near future will be done on partially on a lottery basis (i.e. even if you get everything right, only luck can ensure that you have a chance.)
If you had attempted this back in the '90s it was MUCH easier. Nowadays though, it's almost impossible. Yeah a recruiter I talked with who was a Green Card Marine himself said the same thing.
So what's the most sure fire way?
You go to America, you marry an American citizen and then you join.
By the way, don't even think about faking a marriage because I have a close relative who got married to a US citizen and he had been dating his girl for over five years and had over three hundred pages worth of proof and evidence and testimonies about how the relationship is real and even then they called for an interview which is really conducted like an interrogiation. It's designed so that people will break down and admit that it's fake. They'll pull off tactics even like "the guy admitted it that it was all fake. Admit that you were an accomplice and we'll reduce your sentence to a mere fine." Plus other stuff. Believe me, they are professionals.
And that's the best information you'll get anywhere.

Never say you want to join the Marines before you have a Green Card unless it is to a recruiter anonymously. Or it can be grounds for your deportation.

If you don't hate America (which I have a hard time believing) but only issues with its foreign policy, go right ahead. Ask as many people as you want and unless they've introduce some new pilot program in the past month or so, you'll realize the information here is as accurate as it gets.

Last edited:
But it always assumes that you are at least a permanent resident so it won't help him or anyone who doesn't have such a document at all.

Im too am in the process of attempting to enlist in the marine corps.
I have never been anti american(quite oposite to be honest).
I agree with the foreign policy,but that is secondary in military personell any way.
I speak 4 languages,english and spanish fluently,I also know some arabic.(I have this thing where its easy for me learning different languages)
I always wanted to join the U.S. marines corpse...the few the proud.
I heard about the foreign enlistment program and I realize im no Mexican trying to get citizenship but anyway...I am here,I am willing I am in great physical shape(not to blow my own trumpet,no pun intended)..
Regards Kenny.S

Sparky, you may have a chance. not a very good one but still a chance.
There's a new program where foreign nationals who are legally residing in the US (even on a student visa) who are either qualified nurses or speak a foreign language of high importance and also know the culture associated with that language are picked to join (probably through a lottery system).
It's better than nothing.

U.S. Marine Corps

By the way sparky, it's U.S. Marine Corps. No "e" at the end and first letters are always capitalized.

Just signed some papers from the Corps..(proof of intention).
The recruiter said I should have no problems,and should get under the DEP(need to finish NCO school here in Norway...(I will retain my rank after,
E-5 NATO,that's squad leader BTW, most likely)
Im looking forward to serve alongside you in the near future,god bless America!
After the 5 year period you get education benefits,I'm thinking West Point maybe?
J-deuce I stand corrected sir.

Last edited:
Very wrong question Eagle. A few months ago I asked these paranoid bunch about the possibility of a foreign national owning a silencer in the US, and they called the SWAT on me. True story. :smil:

Last edited:

Why not become an officer and stay in Sweden?
If you want it enough you can get all the experience you´d ever want right here..

Are you trying to get selected for SWEDINT service or why would you go to any conflictzone at all?

My advice to you, do your conscription service to the best of your capability.
If someone spots you as a talent you´ll get an offer.
If not, you should seriously concider another career path.
The lifestyle isn´t for everyone.

//KJ.

Back