Foreigner joining US Army?

Hallvard

Hey everyone,

There are similar threads on this forum, but all I've found either became off-topic or were made by wannabe rambos.

Simply put, I'm turning 18 this summer, getting permanent residence permit in US, and enlisting in army.
I was planning to enlist in NROTC, but US citizenship is a must there. So I was thinking, I could do a year in US Army with my current citizenship, earn American citizenship with my service (according to information I found here), and get honorary discharge and enlist in NROTC.
Now this sounds too good to be true, so I'd like professional warning/advice here.

My questions are the following,
- How difficult (I'm assuming it's definitely not easy) is it for a non-US citizen to get into army? What procedures are applied? Once I have my residence, do I simply walk into a recruiting office and sign up?
- The link I inserted above also say that "Generally, members of the U.S. armed forces who serve honorably for any period of time (even 1 day) during specifically designated periods of hostilities (see below) are eligible for naturalization under section 329 of the INA through such military service.". It also says that it is currently a designated period of hostility, since September 11, 2001. Does that mean I will be eligible for citizenship even after serving for a day? Will I have to be deployed to battlefield? I have no problems with it, but I'd like some training.
- Can I get into NROTC without being discharged? How difficult it is to get in there? Will my future-former military service help through the process?

I apologize if my questions are obvious or already answered before. This is simply something I don't want to fail at.

Thank you all in advance.

Hey everyone,

There are similar threads on this forum, but all I've found either became off-topic or were made by wannabe rambos.

Simply put, I'm turning 18 this summer, getting permanent residence permit in US, and enlisting in army.
I was planning to enlist in NROTC, but US citizenship is a must there. So I was thinking, I could do a year in US Army with my current citizenship, earn American citizenship with my service (according to information I found here), and get honorary discharge and enlist in NROTC.
Now this sounds too good to be true, so I'd like professional warning/advice here.

My questions are the following,
- How difficult (I'm assuming it's definitely not easy) is it for a non-US citizen to get into army? What procedures are applied? Once I have my residence, do I simply walk into a recruiting office and sign up?
- The link I inserted above also say that "Generally, members of the U.S. armed forces who serve honorably for any period of time (even 1 day) during specifically designated periods of hostilities (see below) are eligible for naturalization under section 329 of the INA through such military service.". It also says that it is currently a designated period of hostility, since September 11, 2001. Does that mean I will be eligible for citizenship even after serving for a day? Will I have to be deployed to battlefield? I have no problems with it, but I'd like some training.
- Can I get into NROTC without being discharged? How difficult it is to get in there? Will my future-former military service help through the process?

I apologize if my questions are obvious or already answered before. This is simply something I don't want to fail at.

Thank you all in advance.

If you have a valid green card then yes you can enlist in the US Army. Your jobs will be very limited though since attaining a security clearance is almost impossible without citizenship. You won't be naturalized immediately but it will greatly speed up the process. Particularly if you become a linguist (a very high demand job if you speak languages like arabic, farsi, kurd, or potentially turk). Generally, naturalization is attainable after graduation from your advanced individual training up to several years later depending on individual circumstances. If you go to goarmy.com there is a chat function on that site with actual recruiters who can answer your questions much more specifically than we can.

If I may ask, what is your motivation for joining the US armed forces as opposed to your home countries armed forces?

If you have a valid green card then yes you can enlist in the US Army. Your jobs will be very limited though since attaining a security clearance is almost impossible without citizenship. You won't be naturalized immediately but it will greatly speed up the process. Particularly if you become a linguist (a very high demand job if you speak languages like arabic, farsi, kurd, or potentially turk). Generally, naturalization is attainable after graduation from your advanced individual training up to several years later depending on individual circumstances. If you go to goarmy.com there is a chat function on that site with actual recruiters who can answer your questions much more specifically than we can.

If I may ask, what is your motivation for joining the US armed forces as opposed to your home countries armed forces?

Green card? I'm pretty sure permanent residence permit is accepted as well.
"In order to move to the United States you have to get a resident card, which is obtained by getting a job in the U.S first. Green cards are obtained after you live in the United States for 5 years or marry a U.S. citizen." This is the information I found on goarmy.com, which means a foreigner would need green card OR resident card to enlist(I hope). I don't think I have a problem there.
As for naturalization, well, I was stating the information I found on uscis.gov. Of course I don't think they'll simply grant citizenship, but that's what it says there. Linguist seems very possible, I'll look into it as well.
I'd rather not answer your last question, although suffice to say, there are rather personal problems.

That's 494.000 in US Army today. How in future and what year the next size are? News I've read in CNN News or Flashback Forum in Sweden a member have bring news about US Army.

What are true about Army?
Not stronger than Air Force and Marines?
Smaller size in future I believe.

Wich year and what size in future of today near half million man?

In one of your other post you would like to join the FFL.

And I did my research and figured US Army is a better option. More possibilities and all that.
Kudos for looking through my posts though.

That's 494.000 in US Army today. How in future and what year the next size are? News I've read in CNN News or Flashback Forum in Sweden a member have bring news about US Army.

What are true about Army?
Not stronger than Air Force and Marines?
Smaller size in future I believe.

Wich year and what size in future of today near half million man?

Sorry?

Isn't Turks muslims?

:sorry: OT

Yes, they are.....

Why not try the Turkish army? Without being a citizen in the US, many of the jobs will be closed for you. I doubt any of the branches will let a non citizen to be close to their sensitive things and procedures. You cannot be an NCO or get the commission to be an officer without being a citizen.

Islamic Republic of Turkey.

:arrow:

Kurdi ca 40 procent of Turkey.

Many mouslims.

80 million people in Turkey.

Isn't Turks muslims?

:sorry: OT

Yes, they are.....

Why not try the Turkish army? Without being a citizen in the US, many of the jobs will be closed for you. I doubt any of the branches will let a non citizen to be close to their sensitive things and procedures. You cannot be an NCO or get the commission to be an officer without being a citizen.

When did I mention my ethnicity or religion -- or even my citizenship again?
Again - don't post if you don't have anything to say related to my question.
I need actual help, not ethnic debates.

When did I mention my ethnicity or religion -- or even my citizenship again?
Again - don't post if you don't have anything to say related to my question.
I need actual help, not ethnic debates.

The biggest problem for you is to get the permanent residency (Green Card) The military will not provide with the support for you so you can try another way. To be a student, but you will only have a student visa. You can get a job in the US, but your green card (it is actually pink) will be attached to the job. One possibility is to work for a multinational company active in the US, they will make the proper arrangements. However, if you quit your job when you have this kind of permanent residency, you can be thrown out pretty fast or get a new legal job within six months.

If you can arrange all the things to enter the US military, good luck.

Back