Foreign Military

Greenie

Just out of curiousity does anyone happen to know how other militaries work? I mean I know how intense ours is but what is it like in other countries?

Greenie said:
Just out of curiousity does anyone happen to know how other militaries work? I mean I know how intense ours is but what is it like in other countries?

Depends on the country, the purpose of their military, budget and population.

Greenie said:

Welcome to the forum Greenie..

What military is "ours"?... ;)

We have members from all over the world here, so is your questions about a particular country or ALL other countries military???
(VERY Broad question...)

RnderSafe has a good answer there..
Most countries have their own specialities, so it's quite impossible to answer your question.

What I mean is like we have these super intense marines......and then the extremely elite SEALs and Green Berets etc...but like what do they have in a place like....china...do they have special forces or is their training like gym class compared marines training...

Hi guys i just joined the forum.
I'm in the British army so I can give you an idea about our armed forces. Our army unfortunately doesn't have the funding that yours gets so a lot of the equipment is a little dated but our training is reckoned to be just about the best in the world. Our Marines are a much smaller unit than yours, there's only around 4000 of them. They go through whats reckoned to be one of the toughest selection courses in any army (the slogan for all the adverts is "99.99% need not apply"). They're also all rated as Commandos so they all wear the famous green beret.

In Canada..

We Got the JTF2 (Joint Task Force 2)

They are kept extremly secret but they do have a website...

The Super intense US marines are for the most part just well trained light or medium infantry as far as I know. Thet do have their share of special forces like the force recon, Scout/Snipers and so on but the line units are just plain old well trained infantry. Check www.specialoperations.com

What are special forces anyway? Are all troops that have a mission capability and training for anything other than basic "frontline" combat and directly supporting it Special Forces? If so, then even I belong to SOF, having served in an Airbase security and anti-SOF unit. On this grounds FDF rates its military police special forces. they after all have a speciial role mainly fighting enemy SOF. Finland has Guerilla, LRRP, Airborne Ranger, Coastal Jaeger and MP units for SOF use.

If however you only rate the SEALs, SAS or the SPETZNAZ and their like as SOF then the list will be very short. And in the end the role of SOF units is important but limited. The training level of the line units is IMHO what really counts.

In terms of special forces, us Brits have obviously got the SAS (Special Air Service) and the SBS (Special Boat Service). The only real difference between the two being that the SAS are inserted into combat zones by air and the SBS are inserted by sea. Both units have seen action in places like the Gulf, the Falklands, and Sierra Leone. There was also a hostage taking in the Iranian embassy in London back in 1980 that was resolved by the SAS abseiling down the side of the building and then storming the building by crashing in through the windows, so as you can see they also fill in a domestic role that might be taken up by the police in many other countries.

lol

well, i am not gonna specify units, but a short search for Sayeret or IDF SF, in google should be interesting.... :rambo:

I think the Swedish Arctic Rangers are about the best in this country, which is guerilla warfare unit. Its nothing like the US rangers. They operate in arctic tempretures down to -50 and below (aswell as above heh) and they arnt airborne and they work in small groups by them self, with no support from other units. Out on missions exeeding 30 days.

Thats about what i know about them.

"If so, then even I belong to SOF, having served in an Airbase security and anti-SOF unit. On this grounds FDF rates its military police special forces. they after all have a speciial role mainly fighting enemy SOF. Finland has Guerilla, LRRP, Airborne Ranger, Coastal Jaeger and MP units for SOF use."

No. MPs, guerillas and coastal jaegers are not rated as SOF units, they are only common troops but more special branches than common regular infantry. MPs may have to fight enemy special forces while covering targets wich may get attacked by enemy SOF.

Coastal jaegers are common naval infantry and guerillas or should i say rangers are light infantry acting behind enemy lines and strike against supply lines and HQs but NOT SOFs.

Special forces are trained in Utti jaeger regiment where training starts with 12 month airborne ranger training and after graduation rangers can join special force training in 14 months special jaeger course and after graduation from the course they can be deployed in the unit and used on different missions in homeland and EU's missions.

I found a commercial recruiting video wich tries to get young people to join airborne ranger training and reservists to rejoin special force training.

http://media.tietotalo.fi/mil/UTTI_Streaming_256k.wmv

we have these SF units (which im aware of) : JSO,Zandarmerija,72nd airborne "cobras",63rd airborne division,SAJ,Special units of military police,elite forces of police,red berrets,serbian knights and many more i cant remember heh,u cant find any of these special forces except 63 airborne on net since they are secret :twisted:

There are a lot of Countries in this world and their militarys vary from total eradication of a populace to total surrender if threatened.

South Korean Marines are considered a special operations unit. Also there are the Army's black berets and the most elite of them is the 707 unit. Also the Rangers.

Back