Foreign Military

What I mean is like we have these super intense marines......and then the extremely elite SEALs and Green Berets etc...but like what do they have in a place like....china...do they have special forces or is their training like gym class compared marines training...

US Units and our Australian equivilent. Training intensity etc is just about the same between us, since we train together and work closely.

Marines: 1RAR, 2RAR, 6RAR Infantry
Airborne/Rangers: 3RAR Para
Navy Seals: Navy Clearance Divers
Green Berets: SAS
Delta: 4RAR Commandos

Big difference come around in terms of our training based on location. Thats all, plus we use very different combat tactics to the US, and we've shown that plenty of times before.

Sexybeast said:
south korean army...en......didn't really have a proud history huh?

Read about South Korean military activities in Vietnam. You may use Vietnamese sources as well. Government issued motivational propaganda doesn't count :lol:

paratroopa said:
i think military speaking the best sof unit is definetly the green beret

And how do you back this up? When you reach a certain level, the disparities become less clear. The "best" team of the day is the one that wins. The next engagement, someone else may be the best. Then another... but we won't know because they're generally on the same side.

The british royal marine comando's have a second special forces unit, the mountain and arctic warfare cadre or brigade recce force.

Are Americans the ones who came up with the designation "Ranger"? I know allot of countries use it and i'm just curious if it is after the US Rangers.

lol, green berets is a nickname yet the official name of an american unit, similar to the navy seals but much stronger and more elite

man, ur american, i thought u would know ur own units better than i do

paratroopa said:
lol, green berets is a nickname yet the official name of an american unit, similar to the navy seals but much stronger and more elite

Negitive. There is not A US unit whose Offical name is Green Berets. Green Berets are the head gear worn by US Army Special Forces, civvies refer to SF Operators as Green Berets.

Big_Z said:
Are Americans the ones who came up with the designation "Ranger"? I know allot of countries use it and i'm just curious if it is after the US Rangers.

I believe so. I think the term actually goes way back to the colonial days even. A distinctly American thing that has spread around the world.

paratroopa said:

And how do you prove this? You can prove they're very good but you can't prove one is better than the other.

paratroopa said:

Unless I see your military credentials vastly grow within the next 24hrs to include service with every SOF unit in the world .. stow your comments on who is better or more elite.

Big_Z said:

Some commonwealth nations have units with Ranger in their name; it's not actually a representation of their skill or role however. Case in point, I may be in the Rocky Mountain Rangers; but I am in no way the equivilant of a US Army Ranger.

r031Button said:
Big_Z said:

Some commonwealth nations have units with Ranger in their name; it's not actually a representation of their skill or role however. Case in point, I may be in the Rocky Mountain Rangers; but I am in no way the equivilant of a US Army Ranger.

It seems like allot of countries like to call their high speed guys "Airborne Rangers".

Big_Z said:
r031Button said:
Big_Z said:

It seems like allot of countries like to call their high speed guys "Airborne Rangers".

It's kind of like how the Belgians, Brits, and other nations have Commando's not simply special forces. Though int he case of Rangers there is alot of historical prescendant; case in point the Queens York Rangers (1st American Regiment) trace their history back to the American War of Independance.

Big_Z said:

Many units in Sweden are translated to Ranger units, in other words their name.

And is most likely either british or american :)

Well UK and Belgians using "Commando" for non Special Forces type of units isn't out of the ordinary. Remember that special operations started off as what are now more commonly considered Ranger missions.
The SAS in World War II was more reminiscent of today's US Army Rangers than of today's SAS. The SAS evolved into a modern SF unit, while the Belgian Paracommandos, who's symbol is identical to the SAS because of its history of being founded as an SAS unit, continued to serve the role that it traditionally played in World War II while a seperate SF unit was created.

AlexKall said:
Big_Z said:

Many units in Sweden are translated to Ranger units, in other words their name.

And is most likely either british or american :)

We got our own an non of them are translated to rangers but it is easier name Laskuvarjojääkäri, Fallschirmjaeger as airborne ranger to explain what is it. Usually finnish terms can be translated straightly to german and swedish but not to english.

Sissi is straightly translated as guerilla and sissikomppania as guerilla company, but what does exactly mean the term "guerilla"? Is it a soldier or something like iraqi insurgents?

Guerilla warfare is simply using small groups of men to attack and harass the enemy. It can be devastating to morale and if done properly can be very effective against an enemy. Take Iraq for example, men with 0 training and low quality weapons are racking up allot of kills on the US military. Imagine if it was a highly trained unit like the Rangers doing these guerilla attacks. The Korean war is a perfect example. Rangers would go against overwhelming numbers and cause massive amounts of damage against the enemy while taking few if any losses at all using these tactics.

Back