Foreign Legion.

Tarvo

Hey guys, i'm 21 years old and my dream is and always has been to become a soldier. I've been specifically training for this for a few years now and i've been learning french aswell.
I'm looking to join the French Foreign Legion next month but i have a few questions.
I've got 3 metal plates in my body from previous injuries and my eyesight is pretty poor, i do have glasses though. Would i still have a chance of getting accepted or would i have to get surgery to get the metal plates removed and laser surgery for my eyes ?
The reason i'm not joining the army in my country is because they never get deployed, as bad as this may sound i actually want to fight and i've heard that legion does just that.

Thanks in advance, Tarvo.

Last edited:
Hey guys, i'm 21 years old and my dream is and always has been to become a soldier. I've been specifically training for this for a few years now and i've been learning french aswell.
I'm looking to join the French Foreign Legion next month but i have a few questions.
I've got 3 metal plates in my body from previous injuries and my eyesight is pretty poor, i do have glasses though. Would i still have a chance of getting accepted or would i have to get surgery to get the metal plates removed and laser surgery for my eyes ?
The reason i'm not joining the army in my country is because they never get deployed, as bad as this may sound i actually want to fight and i've heard that legion does just that.

Be careful what you wish for, you might get it. Contact the French Embassy in Tallinn, they probably can answer your questions about the health issues. I would recommend to try the Estonian military first to test if the military is really for you. I assume you have never served and it might be very different from what you think.

Sounds like the words of many many others that have come before you, anxious to get into the thick of it...

Just as I3BrigPvSk said, be careful what you wish for...Mr. Murphy has a way of giving you exactly what you want. Once you're in, you're in...you can't change your mind, you can't change your predicament, you have zero power or choice over you life. You will lose the closest friends you'll ever have in violent, loud, grotesque, and humiliating death. Their screams for their mothers will haunt you forever and you'll always be left with the question of why they died and not you...

Glory is for fools...Remember that.

Fight you will in the Legion...And then when you come home...the fight of your life will be just beginning...

Survival guilt is just an attention ploy for the looky me crowd.
Shameful exploit of others who should be respected.

I have dealt with fellow vets and vet affairs 45 years.
Most of us get pretty tired of the whining of "victims."

Survival guilt is just an attention ploy for the looky me crowd.
Shameful exploit of others who should be respected.

I have dealt with fellow vets and vet affairs 45 years.
Most of us get pretty tired of the whining of "victims."

Because you speak for all combat vets I suppose.

It was a reference to the ones who die, who are usually better than the ones who survive. And usually the ones who survive know this.

Folks, like Tarvo, I have been strongly thinking of applying for the legion for some time now. I am still working on my fitness so won't be applying until I am happy it's near good enough. On the Legion site, it seems to say very little about the actual fitness test/s themselves. Can anyone give me a heads up on exactly what is is?. I understand there is a bleep test and a 14km run (that has to be completed in under an hour?). Am I right or am I way off?

Back