Foot cavalry

WannabeRanger

What exactly is foot cavalry. I was on another site and this came up and I would like to know what it is. Are they infantry that accompanies the cavalry or what? Any info would be appreciated.

WannabeRanger said:
What exactly is foot cavalry. I was on another site and this came up and I would like to know what it is. Are they infantry that accompanies the cavalry or what? Any info would be appreciated.

Cavalry without horses. Personally i don't see any other point in using cavalry status but tradition.

It depends on what site you were on. During the American Civil War The Stonewall Brigade commanded by Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson was referred to as Jacksons Foot Cavalry due to their rapid movements.

03USMC is right. The term comes from the American Civil War.
I believe that it originated during Jackson's Valley campaign in 1862.

In Britain we had the mounted Riflemen, who ride up to action then fight on foot. The horses were just to get them to action as quick as possible and as fresh as possible. Then they would use what cover there was to fight the enemy and drive him out of fixed position as horses in a lot of cases would have just provided a bigger target with out any gain.

EuroSpike said:
Cavalry without horses. Personally i don't see any other point in using cavalry status but tradition.

Yes, sometimes cavalry titles stuck with people even after they quit the cavalry, for example Baron von Ritchhofen was a Rittmeister even after he became a pilot. Maybe his was a special case, but it is rather interesting. :idea:

LeEnfield said:
In Britain we had the mounted Riflemen, who ride up to action then fight on foot. The horses were just to get them to action as quick as possible and as fresh as possible. Then they would use what cover there was to fight the enemy and drive him out of fixed position as horses in a lot of cases would have just provided a bigger target with out any gain.

Wouldn't that be known as a dragoon. :horsie:

Back