Food in the army

Im pretty interested in what exactly they eat in the numerous armies of the world.

Like, I know its not something that competes with whatever Gordon Ramsay it made, and im pretty sure its not like eating fried dirt.

In Canada, we have a lot of different options depending on where you are. If you're in Garrison, you can eat at the mess or buy your own food if you're like me and live off base. If you're in the field, you'll most likely have IMPs (Individual Meal Packs). If you're somewhere in between, they might set up what's called a field kitchen so you can still have hot meals.

What are the IMPs like? Is it like a cold version of airplane food?

IMP's are actually quite good, depending on which one you get. There's a varied selection of breakfast, lunch and dinner meals, each with the main meal, dessert, and an assortment of extra goodies like gum, chocolate bars, mints, coffee, etc...

The main course and the dessert are wrapped in sealed tinfoil like packages. To eat the main course, you can either open up and eat it cold (if you're really busy), or you can set up some sort of stove to cook them. And even that varies depending on where you are. You can either have the good 'ol Coleman and a big pot, or you can use your canteen cup and a heating tablet.

I see..

But wouldnt that change in a time of war? Like, im not sure they will start giving out nice chocolate bars if the army you were supposed to be fighting was just a couple of miles away.

i dont think so they are pre packed and made en masse and quite cheaply to the chocolate is a survival thing and is to be used as an energy boost

Hmm... unless on a weekend pass or leave, we'd be in the barracks so all food is what's served in the mess hall. What is served is what is served. You don't get to choose anything except for how much rice you decide to scoop up.
Food quality is pretty good once you get used to it.

In the field is a combination of field rations and what you can catch.
Different kinds of field rations. The most common ones require heating to be palatable. Can be achieved if you have a running vehicle nearby (put it under the hood) or if you're having a really really great day, in hot water. If not, you eat it cold and it's not like eating an MRE cold... it's a lot worse.

I see..

But wouldnt that change in a time of war? Like, im not sure they will start giving out nice chocolate bars if the army you were supposed to be fighting was just a couple of miles away.

No, it's all included in their ration packet.

Last edited:
On Royal Air Force stations, the quality of the food is dependent on the Catering Officer and his staff.

When I joined the RAF I went to RAF Swinderby in Lincoln, the food was horrendous. After kitting out and medicals I was sent to RAF Hemswell for basic training, where the food was excellent.

While in the Far East I was stationed on a very small signal detachment, with less then 100 single men living on station. All in all, the food wasn't that bad.

When on exercise with the Territorial Army we were given compo rations, either individual ration packs or the rations were cooked for us in location. It depended on the menu's we were issued, some were absolutely horrendous (like chicken supreme) while others weren't too bad at all.

In the movie TANK! with James Garner there is a funny scene where Garner has broken regulation by sneaking into a mess facility he is not normally allowed to be in. When the NCO in charge of the mess goes to Garner's table in a fury, Garner explains that the reason he broke regulation was because the food+service is so good there. This remark causes the NCO (who is stunned) by Garner kind review of his facility to scream at a subordinate "Make sure this man (Garner) gets seconds!!!"

My question behind this is mess hall protocol in the Army really that strict??? Are people denied entry (by rank), are people allowed to take seconds or is it a scene like the orphanage in Oliver Twist? Are Base CO actually required to eat there. The reason I ask is because both my college and that of my sisters were run by the same caterer (Sudexho). Her cantine was actually very good while mine tasted like left over cat food. It seems surprising based on what I read here (aka BritinAfrica) that there is such a difference in quality between different bases, I would have thought quality of service would be universal on all military posts.

Last edited:
It's not done by rank. It's just a matter of eating at your unit's dining facility. It's a way of keeping track of how much food each unit requisitions for a given day. In real life, every facility is serving the same thing on a given day, cooked the same way so there's no reason to go to another dining hall.
I didn't see that movie so I guess you'll just have to enlist in the Army to find out how things really are. Come on now mmarsh, it'd be great first hand experience for you. :drill:

It's not done by rank. It's just a matter of eating at your unit's dining facility. It's a way of keeping track of how much food each unit requisitions for a given day. In real life, every facility is serving the same thing on a given day, cooked the same way so there's no reason to go to another dining hall.
I didn't see that movie so I guess you'll just have to enlist in the Army to find out how things really are. Come on now mmarsh, it'd be great first hand experience for you. :drill:

Thanks for the explaination, I know your just joking but if I do come back to the States someday (as I hope) I am seriously considering joing the National Guard, so I might take you up on that...

We will see...

My question behind this is mess hall protocol in the Army really that strict??? Are people denied entry (by rank), are people allowed to take seconds or is it a scene like the orphanage in Oliver Twist? Are Base CO actually required to eat there. The reason I ask is because both my college and that of my sisters were run by the same caterer (Sudexho). Her cantine was actually very good while mine tasted like left over cat food. It seems surprising based on what I read here (aka BritinAfrica) that there is such a difference in quality between different bases, I would have thought quality of service would be universal on all military posts.

It is in the British Military, there is an Officers Mess, Senior NCO's Mess and OR (other ranks) Mess. There were in some Army units a Corporals Mess, but this was basically a bar for Lance and Full Corporal's only.

As far as I am aware, officers were served by waiters I have no idea how Senior NCO's got their food, OR's queued up for theirs. If a man so wanted, he could usually get seconds if there were any left over, but usually one sitting was enough.

All mess's in the Royal Air Force were seperate buildings.

As I mentioned, the quality of the food depended on the Catering Officer and his staff on that unit. Each man had an allowance per day that the Catering Officer had to spend, so the quality of the food depended on local prices, where the rations were obtained.

As I mentioned in an earlier post (I cannot remember the exact amount) around 1968 a man was allowed 2 Shillings and Six pence a day for rations, while police dogs had an allowance of 3 Shillings and Six Pence a day!

In the field all ranks ate the same compo rations, while I would always try to supliment mine by visiting the local shops.

A few years ago a number of us were on exercise with the US Army at Coleman Barracks in Germany. I was amazed at the quality and selection of food available and if I remember correctly (this is over 30 years ago) all ranks used the same mess. Some US Army guys were amused when we added milk to our tea lol.

Last edited:
Thanks for the explaination, I know your just joking but if I do come back to the States someday (as I hope) I am seriously considering joing the National Guard, so I might take you up on that...

We will see...
That would be great. I think the 42nd Infantry Division is the NG division for NY (if that's where you'd be living). You'd look good with a Rainbow on your shoulder. I think the experience would change your perspective on some things.

In South Korea there is a different dining facility for officers, SNCOs and the rest of the enlistedmen. The food is different but for the officers and SNCOs, the better food is offset by the fact that they have to sign in and it gets cut from their paycheque.

I heard that what all the forces are given for meals is uniform throughout but experience tells me otherwise!!!!

I second Mmarsh joining the military in some capacity. My brother joined the USMC Reserves (because he does have a career that he wants to keep) and it's been a great experience for him so far.

Is South Korean food a lot different from say American/Canadian/Norwegian etc military food?

Like, cultural differences when it comes to food.

Yes. Korean food would be different.
Basic layout would be rice, soup and three side dishes.

XMrfMETdzs.jpg

This is a very typical RoK military mess hall meal.

Back