FN P90?

No. Peru, Philippine Army Rangers, various international law enforcement groups (mostly special tactics groups/units) and a few US law enforcement/protection units (same type of units as above) have them.

It's a neat little weapon, the mag is problematic, unless something has changed in the past two years .. not really viable weapon for the majority of US forces, however.

FN P90

Colt Model 1911 beats the FN P90 as a PDW.

If you want something that you can aim like a rifle, a US Model M1 Carbine works fine (about $400 to $700). If you really feel a need for select-fire, pay 10x more (about $4000 to $7000) and get an M2 Carbine.

The requirement specification for the FN P90 was for a lightweight, low-power weapon that has more firepower than a handgun, that can be issued to non-infantry personnel in the combat area -- people like truck drivers, armored vehicle crewmen, artillery crewmen, etc.

The M1 carbine was designed for exactly the same application. It is almost as light as a FN P90. It has been made in vast quantities, so the bugs have been worked out (more reliable). And if you need full-auto, M2s are available.

For some real de-ja-vu, take a look at the 5.7mm cartridge of the P90. Have you ever heard of the Johnson Spitfire round? It was a .30 Carbine cartridge necked down to 5.7mm. You can find these rifles available, but the ammo is hard to come by (re-chambering a M1 carbine for the FN 5.7mm round -- that's an idea!).

With military weapons, it's not necessary to be a creative genius to make money. Just dig up the history books, redesign it in plastic and pay off some gun writers.

I believe with the addition of the Armour piercing rounds it is a viable spec ops weapon, because it is so compact, the weapon fires well, I when I went to see my mom's cousin in Belgium fired one at the Police Range. Very good weapon, you can carry a lot of ammo. Th amount of different sights you can put on it is hillarious. BUt when you run out of ammo you are dead, there is no possibility of bayonets on that thing.

RnderSafe said:
the mag is problematic
Yes the Magazine in the P90 is a little akward not the most effecient place for the mag to be wouldn't be the fastest reloading weapon would it

5CAV,
I don't have any experience with the P90, but wouldn't the M1 Carbine be a lot longer?
Also, The only extra expense for an M2, compared to an M1 carbine is a new M2 sear (I can get one legally for around 10$), and the license (200?). Correct me if i'm wrong.

If you live in the US you can not get a new auto sear for $10 and build a machine gun.
Civilians can no loger build machine guns after 1986.
As well a $200 fee would be the stamp. The license to build a machine gun is $150 for the FFL type 07 and $500 a year for the SOT.

Six said:
5CAV,
I don't have any experience with the P90, but wouldn't the M1 Carbine be a lot longer?
Also, The only extra expense for an M2, compared to an M1 carbine is a new M2 sear (I can get one legally for around 10$), and the license (200?). Correct me if i'm wrong.

Back