FLORIDA COURT ADDRESSES ATHEIST HOLY DAY SUIT

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomtom22

Chief Engineer

In Florida, an atheist created a case against the Upcoming Easter and Passover days. He hired an attorney to bring a discrimination case against Christians, Jews and observances of their holy days. The argument was that it was unfair that atheists had no such recognized days. The case was brought before a judge. After listening to the passionate presentation by the lawyer, the judge banged his gavel declaring,"Case dismissed!"

The lawyer immediately stood objecting to the Ruling , "Your honor, how can you possibly dismiss this case? The Christians have Christmas, Easter and others. The Jews have Passover, Yom Kippur and Hanukkah, yet my client and all other atheists have no such holidays."

The judge leaned forward in his chair saying, "But you do. Your client, counsel, is woefully ignorant."

The lawyer said, "Your Honor, we are unaware of any special observance or holiday for atheists."

The judge said, "The calendar says April 1st is April Fools Day. Psalm 14:1 states, 'The fool says in his heart, there is no God.' Thus, it is the opinion of this court, that if your client says there is no God, then he is a fool. Therefore, April 1st is his day. Court is adjourned.

You gotta love a Judge that knows his scripture!

I've read this one before...God is always right and the word of God for that matter, good job Judge :)

Christianity and christian values raise their ugly head again.

I agree with the ruling but only insofar as the complainant probably takes the christian holidays as well.

[Not sure if its the same, but im talking from a Aussie Point-of-view]

April Fools day is just a normal day in Australia, not a holiday. Sure, people will try to stooge their friends, but they still go to work and school, thus it is not a holiday.

Also, isnt there a wall between 'State' and 'Religion'? I dont think the law should include the bible.

Also, April Fools day isnt a holiday.

And finally, the bible is a fictional book. I usually remind the workers in the library to move the bible to the Childrens fiction section.

[Not sure if its the same, but im talking from a Aussie Point-of-view]

April Fools day is just a normal day in Australia, not a holiday. Sure, people will try to stooge their friends, but they still go to work and school, thus it is not a holiday.

In American it is the same. It is not a paid holiday.

Also, isnt there a wall between 'State' and 'Religion'? I dont think the law should include the bible.

Also, April Fools day isnt a holiday.

There is a law; this was a joke. :)

And finally, the bible is a fictional book. I usually remind the workers in the library to move the bible to the Childrens fiction section.

That's ok if you chose to be an athiest, or whatever. BUT it is just disrespectful to others to try to force your choice on them, (hence the separation of Church and state in the US). There are many people who do believe in the Bible.

That's ok if you chose to be an athiest, or whatever. BUT it is just disrespectful to others to try to force your choice on them, (hence the separation of Church and state in the US). There are many people who do believe in the Bible.
What is the difference between 'believers' that have a problem with an atheist holiday ... and ... atheists being forced to observe Christian and Jewish "official" holidays (that they don't believe in)? Let's face it ... that is the situation that atheists face every day.

BTW - methinks there is not enough disrespect left over from 'believers' who constantly condemn and deride atheists, to put in a teacup. Most atheists that I have seen or know, respect believers that treat them with respect ... they only return disrespect when it is directed their way (as it should be).

Atheists don't have a corner on disrespect.

Well now, Chief, in this forum alone, I have seen more posts about people talking about being athiest, and their beliefs than I have the non-athiest. Albiet, I've only been a member for about 5 months. With that in mind, I personally happen to enjoy most holidays, pagan and Christian. I also believe that we have a freedom of religion... doesn't say Christian Religion.

Today's society sends the message that we have freedom of religion... as long as it is not based on the BIBLE or is non-Christian. THAT is BS in my opinion.

Disrespect.... lets see, if your athiest book is in the non-fiction section of the library, just because I don't believe in it doesn't mean I tell others to put it in, "the childrens' fiction section". That's not right, especially from one so young (no disrecpect to you Balkin, you have a lot of good ideas too).

Disrespect.... lets see, if your athiest book is in the non-fiction section of the library, just because I don't believe in it doesn't mean I tell others to put it in, "the childrens' fiction section".
Atheist book??? .. what Atheist book? We are atheists,... we don't have a special book of rules to follow we don't need it,... we just don't believe that there is a mythical man in the sky when it suits us, and we don't make up all kinds of weird rules that "god" is supposed to have passed down to earth through specially chosen people.

Find me a "christian", and I'll show you a hypocrite who picks and chooses which of "god's laws" that suit them on any particular day.

Maybe the reason you see so many atheists here is because many service persons have seen enough to realise that, if there were a god, he wouldn't allow man to treat his brothers the way christians do. Either that, or your "god" is no more than some sort of cruel "great practical joker in the sky".

Having said that, I feel that in this case the judge has clearly erred in his judgement, in that he has based it on his personal beliefs rather than any legal precept.

Clearly not a very "christian" thing to do.:)

Last edited:
Perhaps the trouble is, that some people don't see it as a joke Tomtom?

You know what the definition of a "joke" is, don't you? "Something really nasty, that happens to someone else":(

Last edited:

In Florida, an atheist created a case against the Upcoming Easter and Passover days. He hired an attorney to bring a discrimination case against Christians, Jews and observances of their holy days. The argument was that it was unfair that atheists had no such recognized days. The case was brought before a judge. After listening to the passionate presentation by the lawyer, the judge banged his gavel declaring,"Case dismissed!"

The lawyer immediately stood objecting to the Ruling , "Your honor, how can you possibly dismiss this case? The Christians have Christmas, Easter and others. The Jews have Passover, Yom Kippur and Hanukkah, yet my client and all other atheists have no such holidays."

The judge leaned forward in his chair saying, "But you do. Your client, counsel, is woefully ignorant."

The lawyer said, "Your Honor, we are unaware of any special observance or holiday for atheists."

The judge said, "The calendar says April 1st is April Fools Day. Psalm 14:1 states, 'The fool says in his heart, there is no God.' Thus, it is the opinion of this court, that if your client says there is no God, then he is a fool. Therefore, April 1st is his day. Court is adjourned.

You gotta love a Judge that knows his scripture!

(Yes I know its a joke)

Its Funny, but not technically legal. The scripture is not a basis for US law. Separation of church and state. Nor is April Fools a recognized US Holiday. My counter would be as there are 7 official US Holidays including 3 religious ones, that would leave the other 358 days to be days for Atheists.

I do think the Chief has a point though, I put up with a lot of bashing/mockery (Liberal, French, etc) here and I can tell you its not always fun to always be on the receiving end all the time. Atheists get a tough time too. I have learned two things, first these things do make you tougher, and of course revenge is a dish best served cold.

Last edited:
Atheist book??? .. what Atheist book? We are atheists,... we don't have a special book of rules to follow we don't need it,... we just don't believe that there is a mythical man in the sky when it suits us, and we don't make up all kinds of weird rules that "god" is supposed to have passed down to earth through specially chosen people.

My nephew is athiest. He has many books on the subject. I apologize if you thought I meant one book in particular. :neutral:

Well now, Chief, in this forum alone, I have seen more posts about people talking about being athiest, and their beliefs than I have the non-athiest. Albiet, I've only been a member for about 5 months. With that in mind, I personally happen to enjoy most holidays, pagan and Christian. I also believe that we have a freedom of religion... doesn't say Christian Religion.

Many people beleive in the religion, but have not stuck their heads up its backside. THAT is how religion should be treated. Usually, we have some :cen: religious fanatic that ruins everything for everyone [Christians screaming disrespect at Islamic gatherings, Jews being neo-fascist etc etc].

Disrespect.... lets see, if your athiest book is in the non-fiction section of the library, just because I don't believe in it doesn't mean I tell others to put it in, "the childrens' fiction section". That's not right, especially from one so young (no disrecpect to you Balkin, you have a lot of good ideas too).

Difference between Atheism and Religion is that Atheism actually has proof that there is NO god. Other religions [With the exception of Budhism] are dependant on the 'Holy bible' for their proof. The bible wasnt based on fact, it was based on what some people led by a fanatical, delluisioned man beleive REALLY happened.

In my mind:

Darwin = Evolutionism + Science = Proof = Atheism > Religion

Jesus = Fanatic + popular = theoretical ideas and hypothesis's = Bible

I thought the joke was cute!

As far as discussing Religion versus atheisim... that's a bit :eek:fftopic:for this thread. Although my nephew and I have great conversations on this topic. :p

I thought the joke was cute!

As far as discussing Religion versus atheisim... that's a bit :eek:fftopic:for this thread. Although my nephew and I have great conversations on this topic. :p
Personally, I'd say it was exactly what this thread is all about. A typical christian bigot denying someone the right to a fair hearing on religious grounds.

Hardly in line with the teachings of Jesus. Ohhh, sorry, I forgot,... christians only have to abide by the teachings that they personally agree with at the moment. That same judge will probably be on his knees in church on Sunday.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd say it was exactly what this thread is all about. A typical christian bigot denying someone the right to a fair hearing on religious grounds.

Hardly in line with the teachings of Jesus. Ohhh, sorry, I forgot,... christians only have to abide by the teachings that they personally agree with at the moment. That same judge will probably be on his knees in church on Sunday.

Very true, thats the problem with plenty of countries. You NEVER employ religious people when it comes to law. NEVER. I once read that in either Spain or Italy [Cant remember], a Christian judge pardoned a guilty man just because the guilty was a Christian himself [Im not sure how he got away with it].

Worse, though, is those mentally disabled idiots in the USA who parade around the street with signs saying 'GOD HATES AMERICA' and 'USA ARE FAGS'. If the USA is SOOO BAD, why do they live there?

Ridicoulous people, I suggest they get their mental health checked.

It seems to me that the athiests are putting down the christians in this thread, not the otherway around. My practice is to try to accept people for who they are. Religious preference does not define a person, and I don't want to be guilty of pigeon-holing someone.

I figure if you want to find the bad in people, that is easy to do to anyone... It is up to each individual what his or her goals are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back