FLORIDA COURT ADDRESSES ATHEIST HOLY DAY SUIT

--

March 4th, 2009  
tomtom22

Topic: FLORIDA COURT ADDRESSES ATHEIST HOLY DAY SUIT

In Florida, an atheist created a case against the Upcoming Easter and Passover days. He hired an attorney to bring a discrimination case against Christians, Jews and observances of their holy days. The argument was that it was unfair that atheists had no such recognized days. The case was brought before a judge. After listening to the passionate presentation by the lawyer, the judge banged his gavel declaring,"Case dismissed!"

The lawyer immediately stood objecting to the Ruling , "Your honor, how can you possibly dismiss this case? The Christians have Christmas, Easter and others. The Jews have Passover, Yom Kippur and Hanukkah, yet my client and all other atheists have no such holidays."

The judge leaned forward in his chair saying, "But you do. Your client, counsel, is woefully ignorant."

The lawyer said, "Your Honor, we are unaware of any special observance or holiday for atheists."

The judge said, "The calendar says April 1st is April Fools Day. Psalm 14:1 states, 'The fool says in his heart, there is no God.' Thus, it is the opinion of this court, that if your client says there is no God, then he is a fool. Therefore, April 1st is his day. Court is adjourned.

You gotta love a Judge that knows his scripture!
March 4th, 2009  
sky2979

I've read this one before...God is always right and the word of God for that matter, good job Judge
March 4th, 2009  
Sevens

Perfect.
--
March 5th, 2009  
Team Infidel

hooah.........
March 5th, 2009  
senojekips

Christianity and christian values raise their ugly head again.

I agree with the ruling but only insofar as the complainant probably takes the christian holidays as well.
March 5th, 2009  
AB_Shorts_Momma

I love it!!!!!
March 5th, 2009  
Balkan-MiG

[Not sure if its the same, but im talking from a Aussie Point-of-view]

April Fools day is just a normal day in Australia, not a holiday. Sure, people will try to stooge their friends, but they still go to work and school, thus it is not a holiday.

Also, isnt there a wall between 'State' and 'Religion'? I dont think the law should include the bible.

Also, April Fools day isnt a holiday.

And finally, the bible is a fictional book. I usually remind the workers in the library to move the bible to the Childrens fiction section.
March 5th, 2009  
AB_Shorts_Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan-MiG
[Not sure if its the same, but im talking from a Aussie Point-of-view]

April Fools day is just a normal day in Australia, not a holiday. Sure, people will try to stooge their friends, but they still go to work and school, thus it is not a holiday.
In American it is the same. It is not a paid holiday.

Quote:
Also, isnt there a wall between 'State' and 'Religion'? I dont think the law should include the bible.

Also, April Fools day isnt a holiday.
There is a law; this was a joke.

Quote:
And finally, the bible is a fictional book. I usually remind the workers in the library to move the bible to the Childrens fiction section.
That's ok if you chose to be an athiest, or whatever. BUT it is just disrespectful to others to try to force your choice on them, (hence the separation of Church and state in the US). There are many people who do believe in the Bible.
March 5th, 2009  
Chief Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB_Shorts_Momma

That's ok if you chose to be an athiest, or whatever. BUT it is just disrespectful to others to try to force your choice on them, (hence the separation of Church and state in the US). There are many people who do believe in the Bible.
What is the difference between 'believers' that have a problem with an atheist holiday ... and ... atheists being forced to observe Christian and Jewish "official" holidays (that they don't believe in)? Let's face it ... that is the situation that atheists face every day.

BTW - methinks there is not enough disrespect left over from 'believers' who constantly condemn and deride atheists, to put in a teacup. Most atheists that I have seen or know, respect believers that treat them with respect ... they only return disrespect when it is directed their way (as it should be).

Atheists don't have a corner on disrespect.
March 5th, 2009  
AB_Shorts_Momma

Well now, Chief, in this forum alone, I have seen more posts about people talking about being athiest, and their beliefs than I have the non-athiest. Albiet, I've only been a member for about 5 months. With that in mind, I personally happen to enjoy most holidays, pagan and Christian. I also believe that we have a freedom of religion... doesn't say Christian Religion.

Today's society sends the message that we have freedom of religion... as long as it is not based on the BIBLE or is non-Christian. THAT is BS in my opinion.

Disrespect.... lets see, if your athiest book is in the non-fiction section of the library, just because I don't believe in it doesn't mean I tell others to put it in, "the childrens' fiction section". That's not right, especially from one so young (no disrecpect to you Balkin, you have a lot of good ideas too).