Flank armor's protection

Comandos said:
Hi,
Just wondeting, how well can the standard militry issued halmet and flank armor protect you?

You mean helmet and flak armor AKA body armor.

The standard issue PASGT Kevlar and IBA/PASGT-V.

IBA (Interceptor Body Armor with protect up to M80 7.62mm Ball with its ISAPI plates in (L-IIII), and 9mm Para with just the ballistic filler (L-IIIA).

PASGT-V (Personal Armor System Ground Troops- Vest) is an older armor system still in use with rear enchlon and Nat Guard units. It protect to 9mm Para (L-IIIA). The PASGT-V also has a ISAPO (Interim Small Arms Protective Overvest) that goes over the PASGT-V to add protection up to M80 7.62mm Ball (L-IIII).

RBA (Ranger Body Armor) was exspecially made for Ranger units. It consists of a flexable vest similiar to PASGT-V but isn't button on the chest, it also has M80 7.62mm Ball ISAPI plate upgrades.

The PASGT Kevlar Helmet will protect to 9mm Para, or L-IIIA.

Last edited:
zander_0633 said:
Any Vest to protect against Shotgun Shots?

Well these will protect against the level they are certified for and anything under that level. I don't know exactly what level shotguns fall under, ask 5.56x45 he'll probably know.

zander_0633 said:
ok, You all seem to be in military service of some type. hah!

Well in CAP/USAFAUX we aren't issued body armor to every person we may have it in supply, but I have a set of my own. Depending on what our AO is we get issued NBC gear and other such stuff.

zander_0633 said:
Hey, so you do get body armour when on mission? btw, wad time is it now in your area?

It's a last resort thin. If the U.S. came under attack by anothr country like Russian or China and they invaded we would support the Air Force in operations, but thats when youv'e got the enemy knocking on your door. This of course is a plan left over from the Cold War days and you'd have to go dig it out of some old cabinet and dust it off to read it.

We are an Auxiliary that does missions for Air Force, like such things as;

Radiological Monitoring
Emergency Services
Search and Rescue
Disater Relief
Obersvation Mission
Border Patroling
Damage Assessment
Supply Sortie's
Supply and Material Transport
Homeland Security Missions

ect...

ok, so by how much is the chance to get a bolet reduced when wearing body armour? Also, i'm an Israeli, and in a few years i'll get reqruited to the IDF so anyone knows about the body armor there? is it worse? same?

Comandos said:
ok, so by how much is the chance to get a bolet reduced when wearing body armour? Also, i'm an Israeli, and in a few years i'll get reqruited to the IDF so anyone knows about the body armor there? is it worse? same?

We share alot of our gear with you guys, and it's pretty good.

Bullets can be stopped by body armor, but it's not guaranteed to stop them. Armor is to stop shrapnel and help reduce the damage of a bullet wound. Now your chances of living when hit by a 7.62mm bullet while wearing M80 Ball or M2 Bal protectionl are very good.

Who ever conned the saying "BulletProof Vest" never fought in combat.

Last edited:
I see. thanks a lot. And can a halmet have a good chance to protect you from bultets in the head? If so, how come people still die from such bulets?

Comandos said:
I see. thanks a lot. And can a halmet have a good chance to protect you from bultets in the head? If so, how come people still die from such bulets?

It can. I remember a British soldier who was shot in the head multiple times, but his helmet saved him.

Also, hemets fall into the same class as protection as body armor. Depending on there level of protection and the materials it's made out of. Steel won't stop a bullet, but Kevlar can.

Actually, the helmet stopping the bullets was a "joke", I distinctly remember an article after the picture was published saying that it was a prank by the soldiers, they just shot at the helmet themselves a few times and then the soldier wore it for the picture. They didn't know it would get such a wide media coverage, so they came clear once they found out.

vargsriket said:
Actually, the helmet stopping the bullets was a "joke", I distinctly remember an article after the picture was published saying that it was a prank by the soldiers, they just shot at the helmet themselves a few times and then the soldier wore it for the picture. They didn't know it would get such a wide media coverage, so they came clear once they found out.

Well thats British helmets, I know U.S. Helmets stop up to L-IIIA.

Comandos said:

Well, it depends on the ammunition and the range. If three guys stick AK-47s right on the back of any helmet and let off with full auto nothing's going to save you. But as Seaman's stats say, the US helmet is supposed to provide L-IIIA protection which is 9mm.

As for the current interceptor body armor, I personally know of a situation where an Iraqi soldier wearing the IBA walked into a room and got lit up by 7.62mm fire right as the door opened. He took 3 bullets in the chest at point blank range but because they hit the plate he was able to walk it off with only some bad bruises once he was able to scramble back to safety.

However, just how many bullets body armor and helmets etc. can take in each area is top secret. Not exactly the thing we want all of our enemies to know ;)

zander_0633 said:
haha, So it is a secret to how many layers of bullet proof vest you wear?

No. PASGT-V has four layers with 20 ply's of Kevlar, and same for LBA without the ISPAI plates. If you add the ISAPO to the PASGT-V it gets L-IIII as does IBA with the plates.

What is top secret is how many rounds a ISPAI plate can take.

Back