Flanders field poem

DJ80

Hello everyone,
I am trying to research a story that has been in my family for more than 60 years. My grandfather had a friend who was in the Canadian artillery at Ypres in 1915. His friend claimed that the poem "In Flanders field" was not written by John McCrae, but was written by another soldier who was killed. The poem was stolen and eventually the credit was given to McCrae. I would very much like to find out if this story is true of false.
I have been able to verify that this man was there when the events happened but I have not been able to find any evidence to support his story. I was hoping that someone out there could help me.

1. Has anyone else ever heard of this story?
2. I would like to see the service records of the soldiers involved and I don't know how to find them. I would like to know if they were in the same unit.
3. There is correspondence to General E.W.B. Morrison that contains a letter that was written to him by Colonel McCrae about the poem that I would very much like to read, but I don't know how to find it.

Any info or direction would be greatly appreciated
Thanks.

Hello everyone,
I am trying to research a story that has been in my family for more than 60 years. My grandfather had a friend who was in the Canadian artillery at Ypres in 1915. His friend claimed that the poem "In Flanders field" was not written by John McCrae, but was written by another soldier who was killed. The poem was stolen and eventually the credit was given to McCrae. I would very much like to find out if this story is true of false.
I have been able to verify that this man was there when the events happened but I have not been able to find any evidence to support his story. I was hoping that someone out there could help me.

1. Has anyone else ever heard of this story?
2. I would like to see the service records of the soldiers involved and I don't know how to find them. I would like to know if they were in the same unit.
3. There is correspondence to General E.W.B. Morrison that contains a letter that was written to him by Colonel McCrae about the poem that I would very much like to read, but I don't know how to find it.

Any info or direction would be greatly appreciated
Thanks.

Might check this site for more information. McCrae and Morrison had shared military history and were friends and fellow Officers. I don't think there is any credible information suggesting that McCrae didn't right the poem. Confusion could come from some information that suggests he wasn't satisfied with it and another Officer submitted it for publication anonymously.

http://www.sid-hill.com/top/write/flanders.htm

Back