Flanagan wins 3,000 at U.S. Indoors

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

Associated Press

BOSTON - Shalane Flanagan won the 3,000 meters in the U.S. Indoor Track & Field Championships on Saturday, finishing in 8 minutes, 56.74 seconds.
It was Flanagan's second career national title - after the 2005 outdoor title in the 5,000 meters - and first since returning from a 15-month layoff following surgery to remove an extra bone in her left foot.
"I just have a fun time racing," Flanagan said. "I feel very lucky to be here racing because a year ago I wasn't. Each race I have to treasure."
She won her first race back in November. Then four weeks ago, Flanagan shattered the American record in the 3,000 by finishing second at the Boston Indoor Games. Though Flanagan's record time of 8:33.25 wasn't enough to beat Ethiopia's Mesteret Defar, it shattered the American record by almost 6 seconds.
Flanagan had no problem securing the championship against an all-U.S. field Saturday. The Marblehead native drew extra strength from a crowd from her nearby hometown to surge way ahead of the pack after about 1,000 meters.
Lisa Galaviz finished second in 9:10.75.
In the men's 3,000, Matt Tegenkamp edged three-time indoor national champion Jonathon Riley for his first national title.
"These are the races where you improve to try to make world championship medal podiums and Olympic podiums," Tegenkamp said.
Tegenkamp, who finished second in the 5,000 at the 2006 U.S. outdoor championships, started off slow before making his move about midway through the race.
Shayne Culpepper also stayed back before making a mid-race surge to win her first national title in the mile.
Culpepper, a two-time indoor national champion in the 3,000, won in 4:34.42, beating Sarah Schwald by more than 2 seconds.
Despite the win, Culpepper was disappointed with her finish.
"I feel like I should be running a bit faster at this distance," Culpepper said. "I probably should be closer to 4 minutes for 1,500 meters. That's where I'll have to be in order to compete better internationally."
Tim Seaman won his 10th consecutive national title in the 5,000 race walk. His time of 19:24.38 beat second-place Kevin Eastler by nearly 4 minutes.
In the men's weight throw, A.G. Kruger won his third straight indoor national title with a toss of 78 feet, 11 inches.
Amy Acuff won the women's high jump at 6-3 1/2, while the men's high jump went down to a jumpoff with Tora Harris beating Jesse Williams to win his second indoor national title in three years. Harris, the 2006 U.S. outdoor champion, and Jefferson each cleared 7-6 in regulation.
Harris then cleared 7-3 3/4 in the jumpoff, while Jefferson failed.
"I was surprised when they announced the jumpoff," Harris said. "At that time I wasn't exactly sure where the competition was heading. I just had to regroup after that."
Aarik Wilson won the men's triple jump, the first national title of his career.
Wilson - who finished second at last year's indoor national championship and third at the 2006 outdoor national championships - got over the hump with a leap of 56-8 1/2.
Other winners included Akiba McKinney in the women's long jump, Jillian Camarena in the women's shot put and Jeff Hartwig in the men's pole vault.
The meet will end Sunday

Back